[comp.sys.amiga] Quantum SCSI drive and 2090

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (11/12/88)

Help!   I'm trying to configure the Quantum 80 MB SCSI ProDrive I have
and I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out what I'm doing
wrong.  I think I have everything in the mountlist correct (including
the FFS stuff),  and I have the drive PREPed and formatted.  After I start
putting stuff on the partitions and I start using it, I get a read/write
error requester.  I can click "retry" and everything seems to be ok, but
I don't like getting that error.   Is the drive screwed up, or is there
something I might have forgotten to do?

If anyone has experience with setting up this drive with this controller,
I'd sure be interested in finding out what you did to get it to work.

Thanks!

Steve
...!uunet!modcomp!srp

ricks@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Rick Schaeffer) (11/13/88)

I, too had problems getting the Quantum 80S to work with the 2090.  The
problem is really that Amigados's SCSI driver doesn't understand CCS
(Common Command Set) and the 80S is a little weird.  For instance, the
drive manual states that there are two "zones" on the drive.  The outer
zone has 35 sectors/track and the inner zone has 28 sectors per track.
Well...the amiga don't know about "zones" so how many sectors per track
do you tell prep that it has?  The answer is pretty much anything that
adds up to the specified total number of sectors (164,058)...with SCSI
controllers the cylinders/surfaces/sectors specifications are somewhat
superfluous since SCSI only needs to know what sector you want!

So...I used a lot of trial and error with a calculator (I'm *no*
mathematician!) and came up with the following:
    Number of surfaces = 6
    Sectors per track = 31
    Number of cylinders = 882

This yields a total of 164,052 sectors.  I couldn't come up with any
combination of the above that yielded 164,058.  Anyway...thats what
I told prep...and I also told prep that the first partition (which will
be dh2:) ended on cylinder 2.  My Mountlist entry for the main partition
looks like this:

FS1:	Device = hddisk.device
	FileSystem = l:FastFileSystem
	Unit = 3
	Flags = 0
	Surfaces = 6
	BlocksPerTrack = 31
	Reserved = 2
	Interleave = 0
	LowCyl = 3 ; HighCyl = 881
	Buffers = 192
	GlobVec = -1
	BufMemType = 1
	Mount = 1
	DosType = 0x444f5301
	StackSize = 4000
#

Since I thought to save others the hassle I went through (and also answer
the question to which this is the reply) I am posting this here rather
than sending email ... hope noone minds.  The above setup is working
dandy for me!  It bugs me a little to still be missing those last 6 sectors
but I'll survive :-).
--
Rick Schaeffer          UUCP:  uunet!iscuva!ricks
ISC Systems Corp.              ricks@iscuva.ISCS.COM

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (11/14/88)

ricks@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Rick Schaeffer) writes:
> For instance, the
> drive manual states that there are two "zones" on the drive.  The outer
> zone has 35 sectors/track and the inner zone has 28 sectors per track.
> Well...the amiga don't know about "zones" so how many sectors per track
> do you tell prep that it has?  The answer is pretty much anything that
> adds up to the specified total number of sectors (164,058)...with SCSI
> controllers the cylinders/surfaces/sectors specifications are somewhat
> superfluous since SCSI only needs to know what sector you want!

Won't this screw up any optimizations based on knowing what's on
different cylinders, etc.?  Does ffs do anything like this?

-Miles

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (11/15/88)

In article <144@modcomp.UUCP> srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
>Help!   I'm trying to configure the Quantum 80 MB SCSI ProDrive I have
>and I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out what I'm doing
>wrong.  I think I have everything in the mountlist correct (including
>the FFS stuff),  and I have the drive PREPed and formatted.  After I start
>putting stuff on the partitions and I start using it, I get a read/write
>error requester.  I can click "retry" and everything seems to be ok, but
>I don't like getting that error.   Is the drive screwed up, or is there
>something I might have forgotten to do?

It sounds like you have an older version of HDDISK. Get hold of a newer
version and I believe the error requesters will no longer occur.
  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (11/16/88)

in article <5244@cbmvax.UUCP>, joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) says:
> In article <144@modcomp.UUCP> srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
>>Help!   I'm trying to configure the Quantum 80 MB SCSI ProDrive I have
>>and I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out what I'm doing
>>wrong.  I think I have everything in the mountlist correct (including
>
> It sounds like you have an older version of HDDISK. Get hold of a newer
> version and I believe the error requesters will no longer occur.
>   Joe O'Hara
>   Commodore Electronics Ltd
>   Software QA

Yup!  That was the problem.

Thanks to you, and to everyone who sent me mail about this!  The drive
works like a charm.

Steve
--------
Steve Pietrowicz   ...!uunet!modcomp!srp

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (11/19/88)

>> For instance, the
>> drive manual states that there are two "zones" on the drive.  The outer
>> zone has 35 sectors/track and the inner zone has 28 sectors per track.
>> Well...the amiga don't know about "zones" so how many sectors per track
>> do you tell prep that it has?  The answer is pretty much anything that
>> adds up to the specified total number of sectors (164,058)...with SCSI
>> controllers the cylinders/surfaces/sectors specifications are somewhat
>> superfluous since SCSI only needs to know what sector you want!
>
>Won't this screw up any optimizations based on knowing what's on
>different cylinders, etc.?  Does ffs do anything like this?

Nope. The File system asks for blocks, contiguous ones if it can, and they
magically come back from the device. In the case of a standard ST506
controller, the driver is the magician, and in the case of a SCSI controller,
the controller is the magician. ie. the command sent at the hardware level
to an ST506 controller contains a cylinder/head/sector calculated by the
driver, and the command sent to a SCSI controller contains a logical
block address.

-larry

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-