[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaDOS 1.5

Tom Claydon: ASTLC@alaska.bitnet;, (11/16/88)

   In the Vol. IV, issue 5 of ROBO CITY NEWS, pg. 28, John Foust talks
about AmigaDOS 1.5, and says:

                "AmigaDOS 1.5 is planned to be a complete
                 rewrite, and technicians are making dibs on
                 the parts they want to fix. This rewritten
                 version of AmigaDOS means that all programs
                 will break, and that programmers will have new
                 concepts to learn in order to program the Amiga."

 Anybody want to give me a clue as to how the new OS will be structured?
Will it lean towards a more CLI-type enviroment rather than a Workbench
enviroment?

       Thanks again to Boing, Inc.!

Tom Claydon             University Of Alaska Anchorage

BITNET: astlc@alaska.bitnet
SNAIL MAIL: 909 Chugach Way #34
             Anchorage, Alaska  99503
PHONE: (907) 562-0090

"Amiga? Is that an IBM-compatible computer?" - local electronic store dealer

dillon@HERMES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (11/17/88)

:
: Anybody want to give me a clue as to how the new OS will be structured?
:Will it lean towards a more CLI-type enviroment rather than a Workbench
:enviroment?

	Huh?  I dunno, but I doubt all programs will break, certainly not
those that use the dos.library ... at worst, the device drivers would have
to be rewritten but since this is the first I've heard of it, and you too,
it seems, there is no point in speculation.

	I.E. lets not argue about these rumors for another year, ok guys?

						-Matt

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (11/18/88)

In article <5463@louie.udel.EDU> Tom Claydon: ASTLC@alaska.bitnet;, writes:
)
)   In the Vol. IV, issue 5 of ROBO CITY NEWS, pg. 28, John Foust talks
)about AmigaDOS 1.5, and says:
)
)                "AmigaDOS 1.5 is planned to be a complete
)                 rewrite, and technicians are making dibs on
)                 the parts they want to fix. This rewritten
)                 version of AmigaDOS means that all programs
)                 will break, and that programmers will have new
)                 concepts to learn in order to program the Amiga."

My good friend John is ... misinformed.  There is no plan that I have
been clued in on to create an incompatible release.  I have some idea
where this rumor might come from, but it ain't so.  All effort is on
V1.4, and the only talk about V1.5 is about things we aren't doing in
V1.4.

However, we hope that there will be new concepts to learn in each software
release.  I guarantee it for V1.4, but only if you want to try new things.

) Anybody want to give me a clue as to how the new OS will be structured?
)Will it lean towards a more CLI-type enviroment rather than a Workbench
)enviroment?

I would sincerely hope that we continue to merge the two concepts, rather
than favor one.

)Tom Claydon             University Of Alaska Anchorage

I like a guy who attributes his rumors, even the false ones.  Thanks for that.
We'll try real hard to make reality interesting enough to talk about.

	jimm

--
	Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing
	amiga!jimm	BIX:jmackraz

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (11/18/88)

In article <5463@louie.udel.EDU>, Tom Claydon: ASTLC@alaska.bitnet;, writes:
>    In the Vol. IV, issue 5 of ROBO CITY NEWS, pg. 28, John Foust talks
> about AmigaDOS 1.5, and says: [AmigaOS 1.5 will break everything]

I thought 2.0 was when they got to break everything.
--
		    Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		     Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

	      Disclaimer: My typos are my own damn business.

jfoust@well.UUCP (John Foust) (11/20/88)

jimm@cloyd.UUCP writes:

> My good friend John is ... misinformed.  There is no plan that I have
> been clued in on to create an incompatible release.  I have some idea
> where this rumor might come from, but it ain't so.  All effort is on
> V1.4, and the ...

Oh well.  We must keep in mind that I write these Robo City articles far in
advance of their actual publication, because of slow production schedules
for that magazine.  Plus, as I recall, this article was doubly late, it
being a post-post Dev Con summary.  Because I wrote this many months ago, I
certainly don't remember exactly what I was writing about in this
paragraph, but I do remember someone of some credibility at the conference
stating that things were going to break in the release beyond 1.4.
If you've got a clue as to who might have been spreading a rumor like
this, maybe we can spark my memory further.  I vaguely remember some
dispute/discussion about this, as to whether it would be called 1.5 or
2.0 or something else.

John Foust