[comp.sys.amiga] Faster DIR question

aimania@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Walter Rothe) (11/10/88)

Since the FFS file system came out, the "dir" command runs alot faster.
However, the limiting case of the speed is now the speed at which the CON:
device allows scrolling. Is there any way to speed this up? Some location that
can be patched?

--
Walter Rothe at the UNIX(Tm) Connection, Dallas, Tx
UUCP: {rutgers}!smu.killer.aimania

space@sns.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (11/11/88)

In article <6054@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> aimania@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Walter Rothe) writes:
>However, the limiting case of the speed is now the speed at which the CON:
>device allows scrolling. Is there any way to speed this up? Some location that
>can be patched?

Well, if you're into speed, you should try deallocating one bit plane of the
workbench screen. You will be amazed how much faster everything will be.
Of course, you will lose any color possibilities, but I can live with that.
--
Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!sns!space		BIX: -- no bucks --

Here's looking at you, kid!
		-- the Medusa

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (11/15/88)

In article <6054@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> aimania@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Walter Rothe) writes:
>Since the FFS file system came out, the "dir" command runs alot faster.
>However, the limiting case of the speed is now the speed at which the CON:
>device allows scrolling. Is there any way to speed this up? Some location that
>can be patched?

The console device is not deliberately slowing down the output; there is no
delay counter that could be patched.  Its current speed is limited by 2
things: How fast characters can be drawn in the window and How fast the
window can scroll.  As one person mentioned, using a 2-color window
instead of a 4-color window will speed up scrolling.  To speed up text
drawing, use FF (FastFonts).

I don't know of any way to open a CLI window that uses only a single bit
plane.  Maybe someone else will give us the details.

| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (11/16/88)

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) writes:
> As one person mentioned, using a 2-color window
> instead of a 4-color window will speed up scrolling.
>
> I don't know of any way to open a CLI window that uses only a single bit
> plane.  Maybe someone else will give us the details.

I also heard of a program that sets the entire Workbench screen to
use only one bitplane.  This would be interesting, since you give up
two of your colors for speed and less CHIP ram usage.  I've been
trying to track this program down; if anyone has a copy, could they
send it to Bob Page so it can be posted on the sources/binaries
groups?

Of course, being able to open a CLI window that uses only two of the
four available bitplanes on a standard Workbench screen would be a
neat hack, too.

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu		  BITNET: mp1u+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb

"my friends say she's a dumb blonde, but they don't know she dyes her hair"

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (11/16/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 15-Nov-88 Re: Faster DIR question*
> *Michael Portuesi@andrew. (1037)*
> Of course, being able to open a CLI window that uses only two of the
> four available bitplanes on a standard Workbench screen would be a
> neat hack, too.

Make that "one of the two available bitplanes".  I was obviously thinking about
number of colors and not number of bitplanes when my brain short-circuited and I
wrote that.

                        --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                BITNET: mp1u+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb
UUCP: ...harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!mp1u+

"my friends say she's a dumb blonde, but they don't know she dyes her hair"

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (11/18/88)

DOS scrolling in general is much too slow, fastfonts or not.

I once wrote a dir command that formatted the output in memory,
counted the number of lines, did a ScrollRaster() on the WB window
then blasted the text out.  It was plenty fast.

That was a couple of centuries ago.  It was a proof-of-concept
program, with no options, etc., now living in the great hard drive
in the sky.  Maybe I imagined it.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.

In article <10248@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>I once wrote a dir command that formatted the output in memory,
>counted the number of lines, did a ScrollRaster() on the WB window
>then blasted the text out.  It was plenty fast.

	Gee, this sounds a lot like how Sun textwindows (I think) do it.

#define	RUMOR	1

	I think Kodiak (or whoever is revamping the console.device) is
looking into this very thing.  It has my vote, but it'd be even nicer if
this behavior were switchable (via an escape sequence?).

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac