[comp.sys.amiga] RGB Monitor Recommendations

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/19/88)

Given all the discussion about Amiga monitors trying their hardest to
imitate a certain well-know cereal, I'm recommending to my girlfriend
that she purchase an RGB monitor from someone besides Commodore.  This
would be for non-multisync only.

Does anyone have any exprience with any other brands?  Recommendations?
Caveats?  Major cable construction necessary (which I wouldn't be adverse
to)?  Incompatibilities?
Thanks!
-Mike Schwager				schwager@a.cs.uiuc.edu
-- {uunet,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
	University of Illinois, Dept. of Computer Science

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (11/21/88)

In article <7200069@m.cs.uiuc.edu> schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Given all the discussion about Amiga monitors trying their hardest to
>imitate a certain well-know cereal, I'm recommending to my girlfriend
>that she purchase an RGB monitor from someone besides Commodore.  This
>would be for non-multisync only.

I have a Commodore 2002 monitor that does not go snap, crackle, or pop.
I haven't heard much discussion about the 2002 on this net; does anyone
else own one?  I find it to a reasonable RGB monitor, but not so great
in displaying composite video from my other VCR.  Looks great with
noninterlaced Amiga displays.

A word of warning to people intending to hook your Amiga to a stereo system
and a VCR: watch out for mismatched grounds.  The first time I hooked a
composite signal to the monitor, the power supply in the monitor shut down
and refused to come back on while the cable was connected and the stereo
produced a nasty hum.  Turns out that the two systems were arguing about
the definition of "ground potential".  Somewhere along the line between
the cable company's sidewalk distribution box and my apartment, the coax
picked up about 1 volt rms as compared to the 3-prong plug on the Amiga.

That problem was solved by running a thick wire between the cable system
and the building's electrical system.
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |