[comp.sys.amiga] Cheap Hard Drives

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (03/29/88)

I am on a quest for the cheapest 20 Meg I can find.

1.  I know the Wedge has been discussed here.  Does anybody have any
information about it?  Like, cost, name & address of company,
reliability, exactly what hardware you need besides the wedge board,
might I have problems slapping it onto my Starboard2, etc...  Since
this has been discussed, perhaps mail would be the best way to respond.

2.  Speaking of my Starboard2, I hear MicroBotics makes a SCSI interface
for it called the StarDrive.  Anybody have info on this? (I mean besides
their vague AmigaWorld ad.)  I priced SCSI drives in Computer Shopper, and I
figure about $380 for a ST225N, and $90 for a power supply and case, plus
the cost of the StarDrive, $130 list.  This comes to about $600, which is
better than a new Cltd or Supra, but I'd like to do better.  Is this all
the hardware I'll need?  Am I missing something obvious?  Subtle?

3.  Any other suggestions?  I don't think I'm up to something like the
Palomax package.  It sounds a little too involved for a non-hardware
type with zero free time like me.

Thanks,

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

In article <8134@cisunx.UUCP| ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
|I am on a quest for the cheapest 20 Meg I can find.
|
|1.  I know the Wedge has been discussed here.  Does anybody have any
|information about it?  Like, cost, name & address of company,
|reliability, exactly what hardware you need besides the wedge board,
|might I have problems slapping it onto my Starboard2, etc...  Since
|this has been discussed, perhaps mail would be the best way to respond.
|
|2.  Speaking of my Starboard2, I hear MicroBotics makes a SCSI interface
|for it called the StarDrive.  Anybody have info on this? (I mean besides
|their vague AmigaWorld ad.)  I priced SCSI drives in Computer Shopper, and I
|figure about $380 for a ST225N, and $90 for a power supply and case, plus
|the cost of the StarDrive, $130 list.  This comes to about $600, which is
|better than a new Cltd or Supra, but I'd like to do better.  Is this all
|the hardware I'll need?  Am I missing something obvious?  Subtle?
|
|3.  Any other suggestions?  I don't think I'm up to something like the
|Palomax package.  It sounds a little too involved for a non-hardware

Pick up the LATEST (just out) issue of Computer Shopper.  It compare pros and
cons of all the systems you have mentioned, gives addresses, etc...

-- Marco Papa

uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu

 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (03/30/88)

In article <8134@cisunx.UUCP>, I write:
> I am on a quest for the cheapest 20 Meg I can find.
>
> 2.  Speaking of my Starboard2, I hear MicroBotics makes a SCSI interface
> for it called the StarDrive.  Anybody have info on this? (I mean besides
> their vague AmigaWorld ad.)  I priced SCSI drives in Computer Shopper, and I
> figure about $380 for a ST225N, and $90 for a power supply and case, plus
> the cost of the StarDrive, $130 list.  This comes to about $600, which is
> better than a new Cltd or Supra, but I'd like to do better.  Is this all
> the hardware I'll need?  Am I missing something obvious?  Subtle?

Well, I called Microbotics, and I was informed that the SCSI interface
lets the Amiga use any SCSI drives.  I guess the idea is to use
Macintosh SCSI drives.  I asked about buying a 'generic' bare SCSI drive
from one of the many Computer Shopper advertisers, and he said that
would work too.  Now, I found a 3.5" 20 Meg SCSI drive, that comes with
cables, for $225. (Rodime 652, 632, something like that...)  This brings
me down to slightly under $400 with prices I've found on the case and
                          ^^^^
power supply, and the Stardrive card. (not including shipping.)

Now, this sounds great, and I'm all set to go for it, but... frankly it
makes me nervous.  I feel like I'm missing a piece of hardware.  Will
this SCSI interface really talk to a bare SCSI drive?  There doesn't
have to be anything in between?  Sorry if this sounds niave, but I'm
really worried about blowing my hard-borrowed cash.  I don't realistically
expect this combination to be fast, but I'm not terribly concerned with speed
yet.

> Thanks,
again,

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

jesup@pawl16.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (03/31/88)

In article <8208@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>Well, I called Microbotics, and I was informed that the SCSI interface
>lets the Amiga use any SCSI drives.  I guess the idea is to use
>Macintosh SCSI drives.  I asked about buying a 'generic' bare SCSI drive
>from one of the many Computer Shopper advertisers, and he said that
>would work too.

	Note: the StarDrive is an expansion module for the StarBoard, not
a standalone board.  If you already have a StarBoard, you can use the
StarDrive.  (Note also that you can only use one of the StarDrive or the
MFM (multi-function-module, with 68881) on a single starboard.  You can use
2 Starboards, however.  A Starboard has up to 2 Meg ram + a clock.

>  Will
>this SCSI interface really talk to a bare SCSI drive?  There doesn't
>have to be anything in between?

Yes, it will.  At most you might have to fabricate a 25-pin Mac SCSI to
50-Pin real SCSI connecter (simple).  Make sure you have a PS for the drive!
A case is nice too.

A 'mac-scsi' drive is a bare scsi drive, a PS & case, and a 50-pin centronics
to 50-pin ADC cable, with the reset pin cut (Note: this makes real mac-style
drives hard to use sometimes: check for a cut line inside if you have problems)

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (03/31/88)

In article <8208@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>Well, I called Microbotics, and I was informed that the SCSI interface
>lets the Amiga use any SCSI drives.  I guess the idea is to use
>
>this SCSI interface really talk to a bare SCSI drive?  There doesn't
>have to be anything in between?  Sorry if this sounds niave, but I'm

All you need is a contoller, a drive, cables, and software.
Microbotics sells the controller,  you have picked out the drive,
Microbotics should include the software,... all that remains are the
cables.  They can be of two types for SCSI:  50 pins standard cables
and Mac style 25 pin.  Microbotics's controller will probably have
both connectors but if neccessary, you can make/buy an adapter real
cheap.  You can pick up the cables in almost any electronics/computer
store.

I don't know anything about how fast it will be... is the Microbotics
controller DMA?  If so, you could be VERY pleasantly surprized when
you get 1.3's FFS!

>> Thanks,
>again,

You're welcome.

==========
IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel       Best way: (314)889-6379
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

Lee_-_Wells@cup.portal.com (04/29/88)

I just heard that Digital Equipment Corporation will be selling (dumping?)
10 meg hard disks for $80 ea. at this upcoming DECUS. They are Dec's
RD51's (i believe thats the part number) They are supposedly ST506
compatable. They will be sold for $80 ONLY at DECUS (DEC User Society)
Its a big convention, I think it's in Cincinnati this May.
Sounds like a cheap way to get a hard drive on the amiga. 10 meg ain't much
but it still beats a floppy. I have seen some controllers for around $100
for ST506 for the Amiga. Then you need a power supply.
figure about $200-$300 for the setup.

Lee Wells,

ler@lerami.UUCP (Larry Rosenman) (11/21/88)

In Article <2570@m2-net.UUCP> ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) writes:

>Does anyone know how one such computer shop in TX can offer
>complete hard drives, the SCSI host controller, the case,
>the power supply, and the hard disk with prices like:
>                       A500/1000        A2000
>               20meg     $639           $539
>               40meg     $799           $749
>               65meg     $879           $799
>This is 50% less than any other drives I've seen offered.

These prices seem totally reasonable to me, as I paid the following prices
about six months ago:

	Surplus ST-251 (Seagate 40meg)   $250
	Commodore a-2090                 $300 (or so)

so those prices seem in the right ball park, even though the ST-251 is
a ST-506 type drive.

Larry Rosenman

P.S. This is the first UseNet posting from my Amiga... We can really do it!

--
---
Larry Rosenman                      Amiga 2000 running AmigaUUCP/UseNet!