[comp.sys.amiga] MicroEmacs bugs??

c60c-4az@web-4a.berkeley.edu (David Navas) (11/20/88)

   Is it my imagination -- or does MicroEmacs (1.3's version) have a
serious bug when in interlaced mode?

   Situation: I start MicroEmacs from a regular 1.3 shell to edit
s:startup-sequence.  It loads fine, but when it goes to display my file,
it barfs -- giving me a whole buch of 'alt' characters, screen flashes,
etc., and then displays my file in all 'alt' characters.  I notice that
this sometimes happens while scrolling through other files.  It has never
happened to me in non-interlaced mode (yet), but who wants to use
a ~20-line editor?

   I'd like a fix, as this Memacs is really very nice with that
paren. matching (don't like the case insensitivity on searches, though).
Anybody know where I can get a working version?

   Also, I'd like cross-postings of Comdex reports (or just mail to me) --
it's the next best thing to being there!  :-)

   For those who want a replacement Workbench -- one is coming soon.  I'm
currently working on a completely multi-tasking workbench.  You'll be able
to select icons while window directories are loading (the directories use
the fastdir method from Amazing Computing), as well as move windows around
and have them refresh at the proper time (ie. immediately).
   I'm using Pete Goodeve's IPC code (thanx Pete :-)), so anyone is able
to write programs to: intercept refresh, click, key, mouse events; add menus,
menuitems, icons; and a bunch of other stuff.

   I've gotten pretty far but am hung up on some major system hanging
problems, usually as a result of two programs trying to lock the screen at
the same time.  I have yet to write DeleteFile, RenameFile (easy...), and
DisplayFiles_w/o_Icons, but when I'm done I'd like somebody to field test it.
Anyone interested in testing or co-development can send me mail.

   I hope to have it available for testing around Christmas -- but that
deadline is looking grim (if only I had more time away from school...).

   Please excuse this if this article is *wrong* in some fashion or other.
This is my first post -- any HELPFUL comments are welcome.  Flames, however...

David Navas			c60c-4az@WEB.Berkeley.Edu

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (11/21/88)

Sounds very interesting!  Best of luck.                Stuart Pierce

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/22/88)

In article <17265@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-4az@web-4a.berkeley.edu (David Navas) writes:

>   Is it my imagination -- or does MicroEmacs (1.3's version) have a
>serious bug when in interlaced mode?
>
>   Situation: I start MicroEmacs from a regular 1.3 shell to edit
>s:startup-sequence.  It loads fine, but when it goes to display my file,
>it barfs -- giving me a whole buch of 'alt' characters, screen flashes,
>etc., and then displays my file in all 'alt' characters.  I notice that

I think I need more information; just doing exactly what you said
(both putting Workbench in interlace mode, then loading
 s:Startup-Sequence, as well as setting just Memacs into
 interlace mode then reading the file) didn't produce the
 effect you describe.  (in other words, it worked here).  What
 background tasks are you running ?  What is the size of your
 Workbench screen ?

>   I'd like a fix, as this Memacs is really very nice with that
>paren. matching (don't like the case insensitivity on searches, though).

You can make the searches case sensitive, by a
SET CASE ON

statement.  You can even put this into the Memacs startup file.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"