[comp.sys.amiga] FastMemFirst GURUs

jhs@cci632.UUCP (John Sentiff) (11/19/88)

<>
   I have been running WB 1.3 for a month or two now and have never been able
to run the FastMemFirst program without getting an immediate GURU. This happens
whether I run it from the CLI or from the WorkBench. My setup is an Amiga 2000
with a GVP SCSI/RAM board with 1 Meg. of RAM installed and a Seagate ST277N
hard drive. Everything else seems to work fine (i.e. other problems have been
traced to operator stupidity).

   Could somebody help me shed some light on this problem?

--
John Sentiff
Computer Consoles, Inc.

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/22/88)

In article <22663@cci632.UUCP> jhs@ccird1.UUCP (John Sentiff) writes:
><>
>   I have been running WB 1.3 for a month or two now and have never been able
>to run the FastMemFirst program without getting an immediate GURU. This happens
>whether I run it from the CLI or from the WorkBench. My setup is an Amiga 2000
>with a GVP SCSI/RAM board with 1 Meg. of RAM installed and a Seagate ST277N
>hard drive. Everything else seems to work fine (i.e. other problems have been
>traced to operator stupidity).

Possibly some of your expansion ram is bad.  The only thing
that fastmemfirst does is reorder the memory list so the
true fast ram gets used before the C00000 ram.  If some of your
true fast ram is flakey, you could get a crash.

Got a ram test handy ?
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"