[comp.sys.amiga] A2090

grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (11/18/88)

I was switching drives around (upgrading from to a Miniscribe 8051S) and I
tried connecting the hard disk led on my 2000 to the J5 jumper on my 2090A,
as suggested in the manual. When the connector is put on one way, the led
is on all the time (even when I don't have the hard disk connected); when
the connector is reversed it is never on.

I thought the led should go on whenever the harddisk is accessed, and stay
off otherwise. Am I right in thinking this ?

I mentioned this to the dealer where I bought the card (it is still under
warrentee) and he said "don't use the J5 jumper". Ya, right. If something
is wrong with the card I figure to get it fixed under warrentee.

As a side note, while the Miniscribe 8051S is 'supported' by the A2090A and
the version of PREP I have (it is in the list that prep gives me) the
number of cylinders PREP thinks the 8051S has is 964, which is wrong. The
guy I got the drive from tells me that it has only 739 usable. I have prep
version 33.34.

	fred

grwalter@watmath.uwaterloo.ca                  (Canadian domain)
grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu                  (US Internet, including CSNET)
grwalter@watmath.waterloo.cdn                  (CDNnet and some European nets)
watmath!grwalter                               (UUCP)
uunet!watmath!grwalter                         (another UUCP alternative)
grwalter%watmath.waterloo.edu@csnet-relay.arpa (ARPA)

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (11/22/88)

In article <6834@watcgl.waterloo.edu> grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:
>I was switching drives around (upgrading from to a Miniscribe 8051S) and I
>tried connecting the hard disk led on my 2000 to the J5 jumper on my 2090A,
>as suggested in the manual. When the connector is put on one way, the led
>is on all the time (even when I don't have the hard disk connected); when
>the connector is reversed it is never on.
>
>I thought the led should go on whenever the harddisk is accessed, and stay
>off otherwise. Am I right in thinking this ?
>
>I mentioned this to the dealer where I bought the card (it is still under
>warrentee) and he said "don't use the J5 jumper". Ya, right. If something
>is wrong with the card I figure to get it fixed under warrentee.

The J5 jumper is for connecting the LED of an ST-506 hard disk. Use J4 for
SCSI drives.

>As a side note, while the Miniscribe 8051S is 'supported' by the A2090A and
>the version of PREP I have (it is in the list that prep gives me) the
>number of cylinders PREP thinks the 8051S has is 964, which is wrong. The
>guy I got the drive from tells me that it has only 739 usable. I have prep
>version 33.34.

The logical geometry used for a Minscribe 8051S is different from the
physical geometry of the drive. This is so because of the way the drive
reserves spare blocks (it reserves sector 0, surface 0 of each track).
The logical geometry used in PREP was supplied to us from Miniscribe:
965 cylinders; 5 surfaces; 17 blocks/track.
  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,