[comp.sys.amiga] Non-clicking drives?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/13/88)

I've seen some recent ads in Amiga World and Amazing Computing for disk
drives that do not click. Does anyone own one of these, and do they
really work?

Assuming they do, the next question is how they do it. One of the ads
mentions "no-click logic". Are they adding some logic to avoid the
click, or have they found an OEM drive that solves the problem itself?
Or perhaps this is just a very quite drive, and the clicking can't be
easliy heard?

Since I've got an autoboot hard drive, my floppy drive tend to remain
empty now, and I'd like to shut them up. In decending order of
preference, here's a list of clicker-fixers I'd like to see:

1)  A NoKlickStart ROM patch program for the A2000/500. (Nearly free)

2)  A little kludge circuit to stop the clicking. (A little more $)

3)  The name and number of a 3.5" drive that doesn't click. ($$)

Any suggestions?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (11/22/88)

In article <1082@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>I've seen some recent ads in Amiga World and Amazing Computing for disk
>drives that do not click. Does anyone own one of these, and do they
>really work?

I don't know.

>Assuming they do, the next question is how they do it.

My guess is that they effectively AND the STEP signal going to the
drive with the CHNG* signal coming from the drive so that the head
won't step when the drive is empty.  The unmodified step signal would
still be passed to the CHNG latch that the Amiga reads.  This would
be just one additional gate in the little extra circuit that Amiga
drives already need; it might not even require another IC.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com