[comp.sys.amiga] Novice question

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (07/20/88)

In article <60482@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>This is something to consider folks when considering a C compiler. MOST
>of the ROM KERNEL MANUAL and INTUITION MANUAL examples will not work with
>the MANX compiler. They *assume* 32 bit integers and MANX defaults to using
>16 bit integers.

Unfair!  "Will not work" is a harsh way to put it, when ALL you have to
do to defeat Manx's 16-bit integer default is to compile with the "+L"
option.

>Lattice will save your butt more often than not by pointing out problems
>in function parameters and return values.

That's nice as far as it goes.  But you've left out one BIG advantage
for Manx: the availability (for extra $ of course) of SDB (source-level
debugger).  SDB is great for saving the butts of novice and pro alike.
Unless I've been asleep, Lattice doesn't have an SDB yet, and if you
believe it's coming "real soon now", well, it's your time and money.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,mcnc,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

In article <2343@antique.UUCP> vax135!cjp (Charles Poirier) commented:
->Unfair!  "Will not work" is a harsh way to put it, when ALL you have to
->do to defeat Manx's 16-bit integer default is to compile with the "+L"
->option.

Hmmm, in an attempt to avoid religious battles, allow me to enumerate the
most common problems that new programmers to the Amiga encounter. (in
order of most commonness)  :
	# 1 : The library base variables are declared incorrectly, either
		in spelling, or with improper case.
	# 2 : The MANX C compiler is used without the +L option.
	# 3 : The order of the libraries is reversed when linking Lattice
		objects (Amiga.lib+LC.lib versus lc.lib+amiga.lib)
	# 4 : Something that needs to be in CHIP ram isn't there.
	# 5 : The stack is set to low when the program is run.

These are generally discovered by people who have programmed before eventually
but they are sometimes insurmountable problems to complete novices.

Then Charles Continues ...
-> That's nice as far as it goes.  But you've left out one BIG advantage
-> for Manx: the availability (for extra $ of course) of SDB (source-level
-> debugger).  SDB is great for saving the butts of novice and pro alike.
-> Unless I've been asleep, Lattice doesn't have an SDB yet, and if you
-> believe it's coming "real soon now", well, it's your time and money.

I was trying to point out a specific instance where the two compilers
differ and how one might go about evaluating them for oneself based on
this information. SDB is a very nice debugger and can in itself be
the justification to *some* people in deciding on one compiler or another.
Other people put more emphasis on different things. [I can imagine that an
Ex-PASCAL programmer might appreciate the type checking more, for instance]
In either event, Lattice claims they will be showing their debugger at
AmiExpo in Chicago. If anyone sees it, I for one would like a full report
on it, preferably in comparison to SDB and CodeView (dbxtool too if you
know what that is).

--Chuck McManis

dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) (07/22/88)

In article <2343@antique.UUCP>, cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
> In article <60482@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
> >Lattice will save your butt more often than not by pointing out problems
> >in function parameters and return values.
>
> That's nice as far as it goes.  But you've left out one BIG advantage
> for Manx: the availability (for extra $ of course) of SDB (source-level
> debugger).  SDB is great for saving the butts of novice and pro alike.
> Unless I've been asleep, Lattice doesn't have an SDB yet, and if you
> believe it's coming "real soon now", well, it's your time and money.

      This is an important point.  I think that the Lattice and Manx
  compilers are close enough in performance that the *average* C
  programmer will not really notice much difference in the actual
  compilers.
      Since the compilers are so close in compilation speed, executable
  code size, etc., if I were buying one or the other, I'd look at
  *what else* I could get with the compiler.  That choice is easier,
  because you get to decide between two products that do different
  things - SDB or C++.
      SDB's are great - I use dbxtool a lot at work.  Not only is an
  SDB a great bug killing tool, but stepping through code one line
  at a time, and having the freedom to examine/display/watch/etc.
  variables at any time gives one a much better understanding of how
  the program is actually running.
      Personally, though, I'd go with Lattice, only because I want
      to be the first kid on my block to learn C++.

~ David Geary, Boeing Aerospace,               ~
~ Seattle - "THE DRIZZLE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD" ~

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (11/22/88)

In article <1012@oswego.Oswego.EDU> newton@rocky.oswego.edu (Eric Newton) writes:
>	I want to do all (or most) of my character I/O through
>	stdio routines, but through a window created by a program
>	run from the CLI.  I need to get characters one at a time
>	without newline buffering (cbreak mode, for UNIX folks).
>	I will need to position the cursor at whole character
>	positions.

Sounds like you want to do fp=fopen("RAW:", "w+"); see the AmigaDos
manual section on RAW:.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com