[comp.sys.amiga] Wherest out thart X and thy unix for my fair amiga

gmd@sirius.UUCP (George MacDonald) (11/21/88)

A while back Amiga World mentioned a company that was planning to sell
X windows for the amiga. Does anybody know if this is for real and who
to contact for more info.

It seems feasible to run X over a high speed serial port such as the one
supported by the amiga, although one would need something like SLIP to
interface with a host. Does anyone have a version of SLIP for the amiga?

Also I was wondering when commodore was going to release unix for the
amiga. Now that the 2500 is out(nearly out?) it seems the only thing
stopping this is the software. Does anyone know if commodore is going to
sell this bundled with an amiga at a better price or is it going to be
a separate software package? I am on the verge of upgrading my trusty(dusty)
1000 and want to know if I should wait a little bit longer for a 2500AX to
appear?

Oh, Ive been using a trailblazer plus with my amiga for two weeks now and
not had any major problems. I have been running it at 9600 baud over a local
phone line to a Sun 3/280 at work(reading news, up/downloading). This
combination works pretty nicely, althogh there is one small problem.
When I am about to get a bunch of characters from the Sun I get a get
a small hesitation and then a bunch of characters get blurted out at
full speed. I am using vt100 2.4, does anyone know if this program keeps
up at 9600?
--

George MacDonald	@ Northern Telecom	..!dartvax!sirius!gmd

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (11/22/88)

In article <340@sirius.UUCP> gmd@sirius.UUCP (George MacDonald) writes:
>I have been running it [a trailblazer]  at 9600 baud over a local
>phone line to a Sun 3/280 at work(reading news, up/downloading). This
>combination works pretty nicely, althogh there is one small problem.
>When I am about to get a bunch of characters from the Sun I get a get
>a small hesitation and then a bunch of characters get blurted out at
>full speed. I am using vt100 2.4, does anyone know if this program keeps
                              ^^^
>up at 9600?
I used to use version 2.4, and it seems to me that Dave said in the docs
that it was capable of full speed operation up to about 8000 baud.
I don't know how much hesitation you are seeing, and if the ~~ 20%
difference would account for it or not.

>George MacDonald	@ Northern Telecom	..!dartvax!sirius!gmd

       Dave Hanna

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

scotty@ziggy.UUCP (Scott Drysdale) (11/22/88)

as to your "pause, gobble, then spew" comment on the VT100 program at 9600
baud...  that's how most of the terminal programs actually keep up at very high
speeds - they buffer incoming data but don't display it until the internal
buffer fills or there is a pause in the input.  i don't think the screen
(even with fastfonts or something similar) can actually put out enough stuff
per second on a character by character basis, so it gets a chunk and then
outputs it in one or more large Text() calls.
  --Scotty