[comp.sys.amiga] Bridgecard video speed?

rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) (11/21/88)

I need information on how well the Bridgecard performs.  I understand that the
CPU speed is as "fast" as an IBM PC.  But what of the video (CGA) performance?
I seem to recall reading a magazine review that said it was slow and jerky, and
for best results a PC graphics board should be installed.  A local dealer told
me that it performed as well as a CGA board if the task priorities were set up
correctly.  Yet another local dealer claimed that it outperformed a CGA card.
What's the real story?  How good a PC is the Amiga with Bridgecard?
--

Bob Rogers                    rogers@stpaul.ncr.com  or  rogers@pnet51.cts.com
NCR Comten, St. Paul, MN      GEnie: R.C.ROGERS

pnelson@antares.UUCP (Phil Nelson) (11/22/88)

In article <901@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>I need information on how well the Bridgecard performs.  I understand that the
>CPU speed is as "fast" as an IBM PC.  But what of the video (CGA) performance?
>I seem to recall reading a magazine review that said it was slow and jerky, and
>for best results a PC graphics board should be installed.  A local dealer told
>me that it performed as well as a CGA board if the task priorities were set up
>correctly.  Yet another local dealer claimed that it outperformed a CGA card.
>What's the real story?  How good a PC is the Amiga with Bridgecard?
>--

I use the bridge regularly, it has been pretty good. The display is slow and
jerky, although it's not so bad if you run mono (I use 8-color CGA emulation
mostly). I have been able to live with the display, since the rest of the PC
runs at normal speed. It's better than having a separate PC, at least for me.

The worst problem I have had is losing all my disks when the PC crashes,
because they are  on the *bm bus (including the Amiga partition). I would
recommend using an Amiga-side SCSI disk if you can afford it.

>Bob Rogers                    rogers@stpaul.ncr.com  or  rogers@pnet51.cts.com
>NCR Comten, St. Paul, MN      GEnie: R.C.ROGERS

--
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)
Tymnet, McDonnell Douglas Network Systems Company      POTS:408-922-7508

Ata@radc-multics.arpa (John G. Ata) (11/23/88)

I believe that the graphic display is ok, it's actually the display of
TEXT that's slow.  This is because the Amiga must translate IBM
characters to bit-mapped characters and that takes time.  However, I as
actually impressed with graphic output from games and such, it certainly
does a reasonable job.  To help with the text problem, you can select
the number of colors you want text to have.  I use 4 colors, which has
the added advantage that it will use the standard workbench screen when
doing this.  Note that this does not affect any graphics screen which
might be present.

                                        John G. Ata