[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga market distribution

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (11/17/88)

Does anyone know of any published (or unpublished) reports, either from
Commodore or independent, on the market segments that Amiga is being used
in, and what the rough numbers are in each segment.

The basic information I am after is, how many Amigas are in use, or
projected to be in use, in a business climate, that would be an available
market for a Project Manager program (a la SuperProject on the IBM).

I have heard it said, though not by anyone with any authority, that
we are approaching a million Amigas of all flavors in distribution.
But it is my impression that probably at least half of those are in
use in artistic type applications (music, video, graphics, or animation).
I suspect a large percentage of the balance are in use in the home.
Also, what is the percentage of overseas vs. domestic sales?

These kinds of numbers are fairly easy to come by for PC's, but I
don't know where to turn to get them for the Amiga.  Any pointers
would be appreciated.

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

dre@myrias.UUCP (Duane Eitzen) (11/23/88)

In article <161@dms3b1.UUCP> dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
>Does anyone know of any published (or unpublished) reports, either from
>Commodore or independent, on the market segments that Amiga is being used
>in, and what the rough numbers are in each segment.
>
>The basic information I am after is, how many Amigas are in use, or
>projected to be in use, in a business climate, that would be an available
>market for a Project Manager program (a la SuperProject on the IBM).

This request has been made several times. It IS useful for planning
projects. While determining how a computer is being used is tough,
the location and number of Amigas sold should be easy to get.
I don't see how releasing this information would damage
Amigas competitive position. Could somebody from Commodore please
let us know about amiga demographics, or even just a reason why
they can't be released. Thank you.

Duane.