[comp.sys.amiga] advice/info

eric@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Eric "TheBoo" Bazan) (11/23/88)

Subject: Advice/info
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga

	I've decided (for better or for worse) to buy an Amiga
500 around Christmas. I've been programing in assembly language
for the 68k for quite some time. Here at the U.W there are quite
a few HP-Bobcats (68020), and I've owned a QL (an English micro,
based on the 68008) for about two years. I've done a lot of
graphics work, and the main reason I've decided to but the
Amiga is because of it flexibility when it comes to graphics.
So I'd like to ask a few questions which have probably been
asked many times before.

	+What are the different resolutions available?
	+What sort mapping scheme does the Amiga use to encode
	 color? (bit planes or bit chunks)
	+How are contention problems between the CPU and
	 the display controler(s) handled. Do different
	 graphics modes cause slower performance times
	 for the CPU?
	+How many colors are available, and how many bits
	 are used to encode color in the different graphics
	 modes?
        +What do the graphics coprocessors do? How does one
	 program them?
	+I've heard that the graphics coprocessor(s)
	 are capable of certain raster operations,
	 such as memory-to-memory block moves, polygon
	 filling, and line drawing using Breshenhams (sp?)
	 DDA algorithm. Is this true?
	+Is there any other graphics output besides RGB? Does
	 the Amiga have a monochrome output so I can use it
	 with a composite monitor (and still see gray scale).
	+Finally, what would be a good technical guide to buy
	 for the Amiga?

	I know that these are a lot of questions, so if you
have ANY technical information on the Amiga, please E-mail me.
Many thanks in advance.

		-Eric Bazan
		 eric@puff.cs.wisc.edu