[comp.sys.amiga] PD/Shareware Database Program Wanted

ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) (10/26/88)

Can anyone recommend a PD or shareware database system for the Amiga??
Given the large amount of freely-redistributable software that exists for
the Amiga, I find it a little puzzling that I've found so few offerings
in this area - given the huge success of PC-File on MessyDos you would
think that there would have been more attempts at doing such a package
for the Amiga; after all, there are plenty of GOOD comm programs, editors,
a few compilers, and gobs of graphics utilites out there!  Have I missed
one??  My only experience has been with HyperBase, which at version 1.5
was so buggy as to be useless, and at 1.6 has matured to the point of
being useful as long as you have no need to print anything out of the
database.  Lacking such a product, has anyone had good experience with
an inexpensive commercial product??  For the few odd things I'd like to
have a database system for, I can't justify shelling out for SuperBase
(besides, dongles are hopeless on a 2000!) or like product.

 Scott Denham

==> this space available  - call 555-PLUG <==

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (11/10/88)

In article <2909@sugar.uu.net>, ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) writes:
> Can anyone recommend a PD or shareware database system for the Amiga??
			 --    ---------

No one, to my knowledge has ever made money off of either of these.  I have
3 shareware programs out there to "test the water".  Asked for a buck; haven't
even had a "ha-ha" letter yet.  One was particularly interesting, in that it
allows you to shift the screen so you can run European games and see the bottom
of the screen (actually, it moves the screen +-x, +-y).  Very useful.  If it
doesn't pay, nobody is going to post anything they might seriously make money
from.

> Lacking such a product, has anyone had good experience with
> an inexpensive commercial product??
     ----------- ----------

Sorry, not given the lack of market.  Can't make it up on volume.

> For the few odd things I'd like to
> have a database system for, I can't justify shelling out for SuperBase
> (besides, dongles are hopeless on a 2000!) or like product.

Really your only choice.  Sorry.  Now if you were interested in a Dbase III+
clone for VMS or UNIX, we could talk.  I have it for the Amiga (hell -- I
developed it there), but am not going to release it; no money in what you
can sell it for in the Ami market, and no volume, since C= doesn't advertise,
and it's viewed as a game machine.

Don't you just love those "I have it but you can't have it" postings?

ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) (11/13/88)

In article <776@wsccs.UUCP>, terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) writes:

> Really your only choice.  Sorry.  Now if you were interested in a Dbase III+
> clone for VMS or UNIX, we could talk.  I have it for the Amiga (hell -- I
> developed it there), but am not going to release it; no money in what you
> can sell it for in the Ami market, and no volume, since C= doesn't advertise,
> and it's viewed as a game machine.

That's what I like, a Positive Mental Attitude!!

> Don't you just love those "I have it but you can't have it" postings?

Oh,yeah, they're tremendously amusing.

Well, gotta run now - just got enough time left for a couple of hot games
of Word Perfect.

   Scott Denham

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (11/14/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 10-Nov-88 Re: PD/Shareware Database P..*
> *Every system n. one@wscc (1421)*
> > For the few odd things I'd like to
> > have a database system for, I can't justify shelling out for SuperBase
> > (besides, dongles are hopeless on a 2000!) or like product.
> Really your only choice.
Hardly.  For the few odd things that one would need a database for, Microfiche
Filer should do the job quite nicely.  Although I haven't seen Microfiche Filer
Plus, the simple fact that it has an ARexx port makes it very attractive -- the
ability to use ARexx as a database query/extension language sounds pretty
powerful to me.

                                --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                BITNET: mp1u+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb
UUCP: ...harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!mp1u+

"my friends say she's a dumb blonde, but they don't know she dyes her hair"

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (11/14/88)

>In article Terry@WSCCS.UUCP writes:
>>In article <2909@sugar.uu.net>, ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) writes:
>> Can anyone recommend a PD or shareware database system for the Amiga??
			>>--    ---------

>No one, to my knowledge has ever made money off of either of these.  I have
>3 shareware programs out there to "test the water".  Asked for a buck; haven't
>even had a "ha-ha" letter yet.  One was particularly interesting, in that it
>allows you to shift the screen so you can run European games and see the bottom
>of the screen (actually, it moves the screen +-x, +-y).  Very useful.  If it
>doesn't pay, nobody is going to post anything they might seriously make money
>from.

Most of the folks that I know have NO USE for a program to let them play
European games! I play very few games on the Amiga, and the few that I do play
DO NOT have the above mentioned problem. Do not judge the Shareware market on
your three files to "test the water". Or the Commercial market for that matter!

>> Lacking such a product, has anyone had good experience with
>> an inexpensive commercial product??
     ----------- ----------

>Sorry, not given the lack of market.  Can't make it up on volume.

There are about 800,000 Amigas in use now, and by the first of the year we
SHALL pass the 1,000,000 mark. About the same as the Mac. So there is NO
problem with a "lack of market"! Ask wordperfect! Ask them about volume too!
If you have a great program, it will sell on the Amiga! Ask Wordperfect, the
folks that put out SuperBase, Microfiche filer, etc.. And YES, the folks who
make games... Cinemaware, Psygnosis, etc..

>> For the few odd things I'd like to
>> have a database system for, I can't justify shelling out for SuperBase
>> (besides, dongles are hopeless on a 2000!) or like product.

>Really your only choice.  Sorry.  Now if you were interested in a Dbase III+
>clone for VMS or UNIX, we could talk.  I have it for the Amiga (hell -- I
>developed it there), but am not going to release it; no money in what you
>can sell it for in the Ami market, and no volume, since C= doesn't advertise,
>and it's viewed as a game machine.

WOOAAA!! Now wait a minute. You must be a stooge from Microsoft right? 1. Just
because YOU, Terry did not have a thosand responses to YOUR programs, does NOT
mean that others have had the same thing happen. And IS NOT basis for the entire
Amiga market! 2. Yes, there is plenty of volume for good programs. 3. YES,
Commodore DOES advertise, has been for the last couple of months, OPEN your
eyes before you open your mouth! 3. Just because YOU view it as a game machine
does NOT mean other folks do! Do you think that the THREE TV Stations in my
area that use Amigas, would do so if they thought it was "Just a game machine"?
NO! They have big bucks ridding, they can't afford screw ups! OH, I almost
forgot. The local cable company also uses Amigas! :> Not to mention a couple of
companies around here that *I* know about!

>Don't you just love those "I have it but you can't have it" postings?

Only when they are constructive and useful, your posting was neither.

To the original poster, I know that our Amiga Users group has a full blown
database package, called RIM, that was ported from the mainframe world. The
disk is pretty much filled, the docs for it are over 200K! Its on the order
of Dbase I am told. It has not been Amigatized, just ported over, but runs
just fine. If I remember correctly the group had it on Disk with 2 other PD
Database packages! A handy disk for folks that need some kind of database.
One was a small simple Database, one was a very nice Database to keep track
of movies on videotape for the folks that have 100's of tapes, and of course
the RIM pacakge with over 200K of docs.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (11/26/88)

In article <776@wsccs.UUCP> terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) writes:
>In article <2909@sugar.uu.net>, ssd@sugar.uu.net (Scott Denham) writes:
>
>> For the few odd things I'd like to
>> have a database system for, I can't justify shelling out for SuperBase
>> (besides, dongles are hopeless on a 2000!) or like product.

It is now possible to get a dedongled version of SuperBASE.  I believe it
costs about $10, and is available from their office in Irving, Texas:

Precision Software, Inc.
8404 Sterling Street, Suite A
Irving, Tx.75063

214-929-4888

Betty Clay,                                        .......killer!pollux!bjc
SYSOP/CompuServe AmigaForum                                  CIS: 76702,337