[comp.sys.amiga] DIGA! lockup

aimania@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Walter Rothe) (11/10/88)

I have used DIGA! for over a year now and would like to know if other people
have run into and found a fix for a couple of problems I have seen with it.
It seems to lockup every once in a while. Mostly if you are doing a download
and abort the download. The host is still sending binary data and after you
do the abort, it starts going to the screen. After a while doing this, it
hits a certain character or overflows a buffer and locks up the whole machine.
Only way out is to reboot. Has anybody else seen this and has AEGIS fixed this?
The other thing that I would like to know is if there is any way to switch
the screen back to the normal character set after it receives a certain
character from the modem and goes into garbage character set mode. I think
other people would appreciate an answer to this one.

--
Walter Rothe at the UNIX(Tm) Connection, Dallas, Tx
UUCP: {rutgers}!smu.killer.aimania

space@sns.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (11/11/88)

In article <6051@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> aimania@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Walter Rothe) writes:
>The other thing that I would like to know is if there is any way to switch
>the screen back to the normal character set after it receives a certain
>character from the modem and goes into garbage character set mode.

You can switch into alternate character set (cs) with Shift-Out, ASCII SO,
hex 0E, ^N and switch back to normal cs with Shift-In, ASCII SI, hex 0F, ^O.
One other way to switch to normal cs is ESC c, which also clears your screen.
Of course, the remote host has to echo back these characters, because if you
hit them, they just get sent and not displayed. You can, however, switch Echo
on and then hit ^O, that should do it.
--
Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!sns!space		BIX: -- no bucks --

Here's looking at you, kid!
		-- the Medusa

klein@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Tony Klein) (11/12/88)

Re: odd-ball behavior from Diga!

This sort of thing happens to me all the time.  In addition, after cruising
the BBSs for a while, when I exit it tries to write to my system disk.

I don't know what it's trying to do, but after my system disk got renamed
`Lazarus' by somebodys bogus attempt at writing a virus I keep my system
disk write protected.  Thus whenever I exit Diga! I have to hit `CANCEL' to
the `volume is write protected' requester before it quits.  Silly program.

I wish it did kermit transfers in `local', i.e. NOT server, mode.

I would be interested in knowing if any fixes have come out for this
pretty good (but buggy) program...

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (11/19/88)

> ... after my system disk got renamed
> `Lazarus' by somebodys bogus attempt at writing a virus I keep my system
> disk write protected. ...

The bogus attempt at a virus program that bit you in this case is called
"DiskDoctor", and came from CBM.

-larry

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/22/88)

In article <1956@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:

>> ... after my system disk got renamed
>> `Lazarus' by somebodys bogus attempt at writing a virus I keep my system
>> disk write protected. ...
>
>The bogus attempt at a virus program that bit you in this case is called
>"DiskDoctor", and came from CBM.

Larry:  I'm surprised at you.  If you're going to answer a neo's question
you should do so in a way that removes some of the confusion, rather
than increasing it!

1. DiskDoctor is not a virus program.  It only runs when you ask
it to, and does not attempt to transfer itself to another system, and
does not attach itself to other programs.

When DiskDoctor cannot read the root block (where the name
of the disk is stored) it names the disk Lazarus.  (its a joke, son)

So you probably ran DiskDoctor on this disk at some time.

Diskdoctor 1.3 works pretty well.  Except for the amount of ram it uses
to build its visit map.  (1 meg of ram per 20 meg of disk).
It doesn't move things into the root capriciously any more, and
is more verbose about what it is doing.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (11/27/88)

>In article <1956@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:

>>> ... after my system disk got renamed
>>> `Lazarus' by somebodys bogus attempt at writing a virus I keep my system
>>> disk write protected. ...
>>
>>The bogus attempt at a virus program that bit you in this case is called
>>"DiskDoctor", and came from CBM.

>Larry:  I'm surprised at you.  If you're going to answer a neo's question
>you should do so in a way that removes some of the confusion, rather
>than increasing it!

  You are right Andy, and I apologize for the misleading nature of my answer.
I can only say that I sometimes forget that not everyone on the net will
recognize an answer like this for what it is; a comment on DiskDoctor mixed
with a feeble attempt at humour.

>1. DiskDoctor is not a virus program.  It only runs when you ask
>it to, and does not attempt to transfer itself to another system, and
>does not attach itself to other programs.

  Right. It does not attach itself to other programs or make any attempt to
moive into another machine. It has, however, probably destroyed more data
than any of the viruses we've seen so far, and has been more dangerous,
if for no other reason than that it is a program included on the CBM
distribution disks, with all the 'blessing' that implies.

  I have not tried 1.3 DiskDoctor yet, so take the above comments as being
directed at an earlier version.  The method I have been recommending for
dealing with bad floppies under 1.2 has always started with "First, delete
DiskDoctor", and has gone on to talk about DiskSalv and Sectorama.

  I hope DiskDoctor 1.3 has gotten rid of its habit of throwing away
perfectly good data in addition to refraining from rearranging directories.

-larry