[comp.sys.amiga] Assigning HERE

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (11/24/88)

In article <729@ardent.UUCP> rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
>And, from what I recall from the 1.3 documentation, there is now the
>ability to use the special character combination "$$" to represent
>the current cli number.  SO you can have more than one incantation
>(execute script) running from ICONX, each of which has the following
>line in it:
>
>   'ASSIGN HERE<$$>: ""'

I tried executing the following file, and it producted the mysterious
"EXECUTE: No K directive" message.
	.bra <
	.ket >
	ASSIGN HERE<$$>: ""
	ASSIGN

Without the ".bra" and the ".ket", it assigns the name "HERE<$$>:".  But in
order for them to work, I had to add ".key foobar" as the first line of the
file.  It looks like EXECUTE demands ".key" before it will accept bracket
substitution.  But it does work fine; HERE1: for CLI 1, HERE2: for CLI 2, etc.

| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

keithd@gryphon.COM (Keith Doyle) (11/28/88)

In article <280@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) writes:

[more stuff about how to remember what the current directory is]

BTW, is there an inherent problem with the idea of a RUN command that
spawns processes that inherit the parent's current directory (even when
the parent was started from an icon) other than the fact that somebody
forgot to do it that way?

Is it not perhaps a good thing to add to the ARP list and/or the 1.3 BUG
(i.e. things to be fixed by 1.4) list?

Keith Doyle
gryphon\!keithd