[comp.sys.amiga] STARBOARD expansion...

ari@cunixc.columbia.edu (Ari Shamash) (11/10/88)

[the dog is definitely fuzzy!]

I have a STARBOARD II on my 1000 populated with 1meg.  What extras can I
get for it?  I seem to remember that a battery backed-up clock is available
for it.  If so, does anybody know where I can get it?

Thanks,
Ari
--
BITNET:   ari@cunixc.bitnet                  Ya know, all science,
Internet: ari@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu           no philosophy..

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (11/12/88)

> I have a STARBOARD II on my 1000 populated with 1meg.  What extras can I
> get for it?  I seem to remember that a battery backed-up clock is available
> for it.  If so, does anybody know where I can get it?
Upper Deck -- allows another 1 meg to be added
One, but not both at the same time of:
Stardrive -- SCSI interface and real-time clock -- See discussions in this
   group recently about what drives people use and performance, etc.
(Oh, gosh, I don't remember the exact name of the other one...)
Special Function Module (???) -- holds a 68881 and allows you to use
   parity with your memory in the host Starboard2

I've recently gotten some Microbotics Starboard stuff from InterComputing,
I think it is, in Texas.  They are relatively "next-door" to Microbotics
and seem to be able to get the products quickly.  I think their ad
in the latest AmigaWorld lists prices for all this stuff.

> Thanks,
> Ari
Hope it helped!

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (11/14/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 11-Nov-88 Re: STARBOARD expansion...*
> *Tom Bruhns@hplsla.HP.COM (934)*
> One, but not both at the same time of:
> Stardrive -- SCSI interface and real-time clock -- See discussions in this
>    group recently about what drives people use and performance, etc.
> (Oh, gosh, I don't remember the exact name of the other one...)
> Special Function Module (???) -- holds a 68881 and allows you to use
>    parity with your memory in the host Starboard2

The Special Function module also has a battery-backed clock, so you at least get
the clock no matter which of the two "option" boards you purchase.

> I've recently gotten some Microbotics Starboard stuff from InterComputing,
> I think it is, in Texas.  They are relatively "next-door" to Microbotics
> and seem to be able to get the products quickly.  I think their ad
> in the latest AmigaWorld lists prices for all this stuff.

I purchased my Starboard + Stardrive from InterComputing.  They had the lowest
composite price of all the places I called, which is basically everyone who
advertises in AmigaWorld.  They shipped my order very fast.

                        --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                BITNET: mp1u+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb
UUCP: ...harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!mp1u+

"my friends say she's a dumb blonde, but they don't know she dyes her hair"

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (11/28/88)

In article <1092@cunixc.columbia.edu> ari@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Ari Shamash) writes:
>[the dog is definitely fuzzy!]
>
>I have a STARBOARD II on my 1000 populated with 1meg.  What extras can I
>get for it?  I seem to remember that a battery backed-up clock is available
>for it.  If so, does anybody know where I can get it?

You can get the MFM which is mostly a socket for the 68881 chip along with some
code to run it. Or you can get the StarDrive module which is a SCSI controller.
These two are mutually exclusive, however. Both have a clock aboard.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.