[comp.sys.amiga] Iconx questions

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/19/88)

Two questions about 1.3's Iconx program:

1) What's the format for the WINDOW= tool type? The 1.3 manual omitted this
   litte detail.

2) How can I do an assign to the the current directory?
   I'm trying to get some demos running on my hard drive that make
   references to volume names, and in the interest of portability, I'd
   rather do an "assign demo1: ." (where "." is the current directory
   like Unix does it), than have to do "assign demo1: ff1:demos/neato".

   Editing the Iconx script if the demo is moved somewhere else on the
   hard drive is a minor inconvience to me, but it's beyond some users,
   and I'm trying to make it as painless as possible.

   I don't think AmigaDOS has any easy way of referring to the current
   directory, but perhaps someone has written a program to deal with
   this?

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt Lidl) (11/21/88)

In article <1097@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Two questions about 1.3's Iconx program:

>1) What's the format for the WINDOW= tool type? The 1.3 manual omitted this
>   litte detail.

Don't know about this one...  Sorry.

>2) How can I do an assign to the the current directory?
>   I'm trying to get some demos running on my hard drive that make
>   references to volume names, and in the interest of portability, I'd
>   rather do an "assign demo1: ." (where "." is the current directory
>   like Unix does it), than have to do "assign demo1: ff1:demos/neato".
>
>   Editing the Iconx script if the demo is moved somewhere else on the
>   hard drive is a minor inconvience to me, but it's beyond some users,
>   and I'm trying to make it as painless as possible.

The easiest way to do this (as far as I am aware) is to use the following
as a replacement for "."  Use a set of double quotes ("") as the
current directory marker.  Thus, your statement would become:
assign demo1: ""

Simple, no?

Keep up the good work in making the demos easily movable between drawers
and disks...  An easy to use demo is a powerful arguement for a computer.

>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108

==  Kurt J. Lidl  (smaug@eneevax.umd.edu)	(301)454-3184	==
==  UUCP: [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!smaug		==
========"It's after 3am, no point in going to sleep now..."=======

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (11/21/88)

In article <1097@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>1) What's the format for the WINDOW= tool type? The 1.3 manual omitted this
>   litte detail.

Try the examples on page 1-2, where they talk about setting the tool types
on the SHELL or CLI icons.  "WINDOW=CON:/0/0/640/200/FullSizedWindow".

>2) How can I do an assign to the the current directory?

'ASSIGN HERE: ""'.  Two quotemarks with nothing between them is an alias
for the current directory.
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/22/88)

In article <1097@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Two questions about 1.3's Iconx program:
>
>1) What's the format for the WINDOW= tool type? The 1.3 manual omitted this
>   litte detail.

The window specification is given in one of the examples.  Basically
its the standard AmigaDOS window specification, ie

NEWCON:10/10/100/100/Test

You can also use other stream devices like NIL: (for no window at all),
AUX: (RS232 I/O) and so on.

>2) How can I do an assign to the the current directory?

Assign HERE: ""
will do it for you.  Usually I tack on the Shell number
when I use this technique, so I can run more than one of
these scripts at the same time, ie

Assign HERE<$$>: ""

(to get this effect in an IconX script, be sure to start
 your script file with a . )
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (11/22/88)

In article <275@antares.UUCP>, jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) writes:
> In article <1097@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> >2) How can I do an assign to the the current directory?
>
> 'ASSIGN HERE: ""'.  Two quotemarks with nothing between them is an alias
> for the current directory.

And, from what I recall from the 1.3 documentation, there is now the
ability to use the special character combination "$$" to represent
the current cli number.  SO you can have more than one incantation
(execute script) running from ICONX, each of which has the following
line in it:

   'ASSIGN HERE<$$>: ""'

ASSIGN's are global, so you have to come up with a unique name, otherwise
the two scripts would collide with each other when referring to the global
value.  By using the $$ capability, you might get a HERE2: running from
one script and a HERE3: running the other, each referring to a separate
directory somewhere in the system, and therefore each able to find its
own unique set of files, providing ICONX a way to run multiple programs
without problems.  Note that ICONX always does a CD to the directory
in which its icon is located (very handy) which makes the "" reference
as the current directory work fine.

I have not yet tried to use this capability, but as I understood, it
went in really near the end of the 1.3 evaluations (possibly not in
any of the Gamma versions at all, but I believe it was in the Omega's...
I did not hear about it until just before I got the 1.3 documentation).

Please check the DOCS, I hope I remembered it right.  If so, it will
surely be an additional useful tool for execute-script writers.

Rob Peck

sterling@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Sterling QA) (11/22/88)

> In article <1097@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> >Two questions about 1.3's Iconx program:
>
> >1) What's the format for the WINDOW= tool type? The 1.3 manual omitted this
> >   litte detail.
>
> >Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108

 See page 1-2 of the Enhancer manual. Listed in index under Window
 Specification, 1-2

   Rick Sterling             COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
      N2CGI                  UUCP  {allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom MKT) (11/30/88)

In article <1097@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
$Two questions about 1.3's Iconx program:
$1) What's the format for the WINDOW= tool type? The 1.3 manual omitted this
$   litte detail.

It's like a CLI description, i.e., con:x/y/w/h/name

I usually set WINDOW=NIL: to use IconX transparently (i.e., the user sees
no CLI stuff).

$2) How can I do an assign to the the current directory?
$   I'm trying to get some demos running on my hard drive that make
$   references to volume names, and in the interest of portability, I'd
$   rather do an "assign demo1: ." (where "." is the current directory
$   like Unix does it), than have to do "assign demo1: ff1:demos/neato".
$   Editing the Iconx script if the demo is moved somewhere else on the
$   hard drive is a minor inconvience to me, but it's beyond some users,
$   and I'm trying to make it as painless as possible.
$   I don't think AmigaDOS has any easy way of referring to the current
$   directory, but perhaps someone has written a program to deal with
$   this?

I understand.  Use "" as the current directly.

$--
$Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
$Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
$There: uunet!iconsys!caeco!pedro!worsel!blaine (under construction)

	Paul.

Disclaimer: but then again, I could be wrong.