[comp.sys.amiga] Bug in 1.3 SPEAK: device

john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) (11/24/88)

When writing to SPEAK:, the last byte appears to be getting lost. To see this
yourself, try "echo >speak: <a single letter>". I've tried it out with a
variety of sources of output and can definitely see the last letter is
being eaten, eg. "hell" instead of "hello", "savin" instead of "saving", etc.

I do love the idea of a speech device though. (Did I suggest that once upon
a time? Can't remember.) It means that for the first time in 2 years my
Workbench now contains the narrator and translator files!

John

PS: Is anyone else getting bounced mail to Bob Page? I sent ~60k of files
which appeared to get 99.9% of the way to his mailbox, then failed and
got sent back.
--
"Media is Ignorent, Researchers Say"
		-- either this is an incredibly sarcastic headline-writer, or...

In article <5009@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
>When writing to SPEAK:, the last byte appears to be getting lost. To see this
>yourself, try "echo >speak: <a single letter>". I've tried it out with a
>variety of sources of output and can definitely see the last letter is
>being eaten, eg. "hell" instead of "hello", "savin" instead of "saving", etc.

Both

echo >speak: <a single letter>" and

echo >speak: hello

work just fine for me.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/25/88)

In article <13640@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> In article <5009@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
> >When writing to SPEAK:, the last byte appears to be getting lost. To see this
> echo >speak: <a single letter>" and
>
> echo >speak: hello
>
> work just fine for me.

I take it that John is using the Dillon/Drew "shell".  Seems there is a problem
with the built-in "echo" command.  Try "Echo >speak: hello", and it should
work (or try it from a bare or AmigaShell CLI).  Of course the external "echo"
command must be in your path.

I dunno if this is a problem with all versions of shell ... I'm using v2.07M,
which is one of the Steve Drew variants, and the "o" in "hello", etc. does
indeed get lost.  Your milage may vary with other shell versions ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

jacobson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/25/88)

I have no trouble either with say, no "lost bytes" occur when I try it
either.

Russ Jacobson
USENET:  [ihnp4,pur-ee,convex]!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucuxe!jacobson
ARPANET: jacobsonuiucuxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET:   jacobsonuiucuxe@uiuc.csnet

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (11/26/88)

In article <5009@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
>When writing to SPEAK:, the last byte appears to be getting lost. To see this
>yourself, try "echo >speak: <a single letter>". I've tried it out with a
>variety of sources of output and can definitely see the last letter is
>being eaten, eg. "hell" instead of "hello", "savin" instead of "saving", etc.

You are using the Dillon shell and its intrinsic "echo" command.
Try it from a virgin CLI, using 1.3 Echo, (or simply use "Echo"
instead of "echo") and it'll work.  I think this is related to
the same problem the shell has working with FF (FastFonts), as well.

-scott

fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) (11/27/88)

in article <13640@oberon.USC.EDU:, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) says:
:
: In article <5009@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
:>When writing to SPEAK:, the last byte appears to be getting lost. To see this
:>yourself, try "echo >speak: <a single letter>". I've tried it out with a
:>variety of sources of output and can definitely see the last letter is
:>being eaten, eg. "hell" instead of "hello", "savin" instead of "saving", etc.
:
: Both
:
: echo >speak: <a single letter>" and
:
: echo >speak: hello
:
: work just fine for me.
:
: -- Marco Papa 'Doc'

The last letter is lost when giving the command from Matt's shell, but not
from a regular CLI.  (I'm running 2.07M).

Rick Pasotto

beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) (11/28/88)

From article <13640@oberon.USC.EDU>, by papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa):
> In article <5009@garfield.MUN.EDU> john13@garfield.MUN.EDU (John Russell) writes:
>>When writing to SPEAK:, the last byte appears to be getting lost. To see this
>>yourself, try "echo >speak: <a single letter>". I've tried it out with a
>>variety of sources of output and can definitely see the last letter is
>>being eaten, eg. "hell" instead of "hello", "savin" instead of "saving", etc.
>
> Both
>
> echo >speak: <a single letter>" and
>
> echo >speak: hello
>
> work just fine for me.
>
> -- Marco Papa 'Doc'

Under Dillon/Drew Shell 2.07M I get the last byte cut off, like John said.
So I went to a plain CLI and it worked just fine.  I seem to recall seeing
something about redirection problems with the Dillon/Drew shell.  Could
that be the cause?

Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)

INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
    UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh
--

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (11/30/88)

:Bob Hruska Writes:
:Under Dillon/Drew Shell 2.07M I get the last byte cut off, like John said.
:So I went to a plain CLI and it worked just fine.  I seem to recall seeing
:something about redirection problems with the Dillon/Drew shell.  Could
:that be the cause?

	So do I, strange .. but if I do something like:

	echo >ram:x hello

	it works fine... echo, that is.  I have no idea why

	echo >speak: hello

	doesn't work.

						-Matt