[comp.sys.amiga] COMDEX Announcements

I just picked up from BIX these Commodore Previews of the products being
shown at COMDEX.  Thanks to Lauren Brown for making them available.
[Note: the Amiga(r) High Resolution Color Graphics Card IS the ULOWELL
board Rich Miner's group has been working on].

TITLE: Amiga(r) PVA2350

			Commodore(r) Technology Preview

			Amiga(r) PVA 2350
			Professional Video Adapter

*	The Professional Video Adapter is a real-time frame grabber
	digitizer and genlock system which allows you to capture and
		digitize a video image from any source.

*	The frame-grabber freezes a single video frame in real-time
	(1/60th of a second resolution). It captures odd, even or both
	fields in full color. The captured image can be saved, loaded
		or modified with the Amiga.

*	The genlock syncs an external video source with the Amiga's display
	hardware allowing you to overlay titles and Amiga graphics onto
	a video tape or other video source. The combined video signal is
	output in both RGB and composite formats.

*	The digitizer copies your captured video image into the Amiga's
	memory for image processing applications. All Amiga resolutions
	are supported including the 4096 color HAM hold-and-modify mode.
	Color palette is user selectable or computer-optimized. Software
	provides image-dithering features.

		 PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS - SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
				   NOT PRESENTLY FOR SALE

==========================

TITLE: Amiga(r) 2286 Bridgeboard

		Commodore(r) Technology Preview

		Amiga(r) 2286 Bridgeboard
		80286 Multi-processor Card

*	The 2286 Bridgeboard is a complete 80286 PC AT(tm) on a single
	card. Runs you MS-DOS(tm) applications in the Amiga's multi-
	tasking environment.

*	8 MHz 80286 processor with 1 Mbyte RAM and 1.2 Mbyte 5.25" internal
	disk drive.

*	Drives CGA color and MDA mono PC windows simultaneously with
	Amiga's graphics.

*	One AT and two XT(tm) expansion slots, 80287 math co-processor
	socket, Centronics (tm) parallel port.

*	JANUS(tm) system software provides superior resource sharing for
	custom multi-processor applications.

*	Standard Pheonix ROM BIOS and MS-DOS 3.3 for maximum compatibility.

*	Fully auto-configuring with auto-boot capability.

	PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS - SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
		         NOT PRESENTLY FOR SALE

==========================

TITLE: JANUS(tm) 2.0

		Commodore(r) Technology Preview
		Janus 2.0 - Amiga(r)'s Multi-processor System Software

*	Full-featured support for dual-processor applications programming
	with the new hardware-independent Services System Software.

*	Runs IBM-PC AT(tm) and XT(tm) software on your Amiga 2000 in a
	multi-tasking environment.

*	Supports both the 80286 and 8088 Amiga Bridgeboard and the Amiga
	Sidecar.

*	Drives CGA color and MDA mono PC displays simultaneously with
	Amiga graphics.

*	Superior file sharing and transfer capability including extended
	character set translation with the Aread and Awrite utilities.

*	Jlink resource sharing software allows your Bridgeboard PC to
	treat Amiga hard disk, RAM or floppy disk files as virtual files.

*	DJMount software allows your Amiga to use PC hard disks under
	the V1.3 Amiga DOS Fast Filing System.

*	Microsoft(tm) mouse support using the Amiga's mouse.

*	Autoboot capability and PC boot from any Amiga file.

	PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATION - SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

		        NOT PRESENTLY FOR SALE

==========================

TITLE: Amiga(r) A590

		Commodore(r) Technology Preview
		Amiga(r) A590 Hard Disk Controller and Expansion Memory

*	A complete 20 Megabyte hard disk system for the Amiga 500 computer.

*	Contains sockets for up to 2 Megabytes of expansion RAM.

*	Auto-configuring, and auto-booting with Kickstart 1.3.

*	Expansion socket allows attachment of MacIntosh(tm) style
	SCSI expansion devices.

*	Uses DMA for fastest possible operation.

*	Complete with hard disk system software drivers.

	PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATION - SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

		         NOT PRESENTLY FOR SALE

==========================

TITLE: Amiga(r) High Resolution Color Graphics Card

		Commodore Technology Preview

		Commodore(r) Amiga(r)
		High Resolution Color Graphics Card

The High Resolution Color Graphics Card allows the Amiga to render graphics
with more colors, resolution, and graphics power then previously possible.
The card has the following features:

*	Programmable resolutions up to 1024x1024 pixels.

*	Eight image bit-planes providing 256 colors, plus two overlay
	bit-planes providing an additional 3 colors simultaneously.

*	A Texas Instruments(tm) TMS34010 high speed graphics system processor
	executing graphics commands at up to 6 million instructions per
	second.

*	The Brooktree(r) BT458 palette chip, provides over 16 million
	possible colors.

*	Direct Memory Access (DMA) capabilities for high speed data
	transfer and communication between the Amiga and the Graphics Card.

*	The industry standard TIGA graphics library provides a library
	of high speed graphics routines which execute on the TMS34010.

	PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATION - SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

		     NOT PRESENTLY FOR SALE

==========================

TITLE: Amiga(r) Transputer

		Commodore(r) Technology Preview
		Amiga(r) Transputer Parallel Processing Workstation

*	Transputer implementation for Amiga 2000. Compatible with Amiga's
	multitasking, blitter and DMA access.

*	Inmos(tm) T414 15 MHz, 32-bit Processor with 2K on-chip RAM cache.

*	Up to 17 transputers per Amiga for 170 million instructions per
	second performance. Up to 20 million floating point operations
	per second for heavy-duty math and science applications.

*	Four 20 Mbits per second serial I/O lines for each processor. Up
	to 4 Mbytes of local DRAM for each processor with 4 Gigabytes
	directly addressable. Top RAM access speed of 40 Mbytes/sec.

*	Helios(tm) multi-user, multi-processor, multi-tasking operating
	system supports transparent network resouce sharing for unlimited
	processing power.

*	Helios software support for fully distributed LAN network and
	work group applications.

*	X-Windows user interface with proprietary shell command interpreter.

*	Plug compatible with the optional Inmos T800 20 MHz, 32-bit
	processor and integral floating point math unit with 4K on-chip
	RAM cache.

	PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATION - SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

			NOT PRESENTLY FOR SALE

==========================

TITLE: AMIX(TM)- UNIX(tm) System V Compatible for Amiga(r) 2500UX

		Commodore(r) Technology Preview

		AMIX(tm) - Unix(tm) System V Compatible on the
		Amiga(r) 2500 UX

*	Fully compatible with AT&T Unix System V, Release 3.1

*	Motorola(tm) 68020 CPU with 68881 Math Co-processor and
	68851 MMU

*	80 Megabyte Hard Disk and 150 Megabyte Tape Streamer

*	5 Megabytes RAM (4 MB full 32-bit memory plus 1MB 16-bit)

*	1 Gigabyte virtual address space with paged memory management

*	Includes the AMIX proprietary Windowing interface

*	Software support for multiple users, multiple screen video,
	Streams, and remote networked file system (RFS).

*	AMIX includes a special optimizing C compiler with built-in
	support for the 68020 and the 68881 math co-processor. Other
	standard development tools include:

	cc          make          lint
	sdb         yacc          terminfo

*	Standard utilities and text processing tools include:

	tbl            eqn          vi         man

The Amiga 2500UX and a beta release of the AMIX operating system are now
available for sale to qualified members of our Commercial Developer Support
Program. For more details contact:

			Brenda Billings
			Commodore-Amiga Technical Support
			1200 Wilson Drive
			West Chester, PA 19380

	PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATION - SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

	EXCEPT WHERE NOTED ABOVE, NOT PRESENTLY FOR SALE

==========================

Enjoy.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

In article <13541@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
: [ a bunch of CBM announcements at COMDEX ]
:TITLE: Amiga(r) High Resolution Color Graphics Card
: [ ... ]
:*	Programmable resolutions up to 1024x1024 pixels.
:
	I sense some hidden information here, such as, "Yeah, you can get 1K
x 1K, but only in monochrome."  Which isn't to say that's bad...

:*	A Texas Instruments(tm) TMS34010 high speed graphics system processor
:	executing graphics commands at up to 6 million instructions per
:	second.
:
	Is this good?  The PC parket is jumping all over it, and therefore I
can't help but feel there's something wrong with it...

:*	The industry standard TIGA graphics library provides a library
:	of high speed graphics routines which execute on the TMS34010.
:
	TIGA?  Never heard of it.  Could someone provide details?

:TITLE: AMIX(TM)- UNIX(tm) System V Compatible for Amiga(r) 2500UX
: [ ... ]
:	standard development tools include:
:
:	cc          make          lint
:	sdb         yacc          terminfo
:
	Well, if you're going to include 'yacc', then where's 'lex'?  Or is
'yacc' really 'bison'?

:*	Standard utilities and text processing tools include:
:
:	tbl            eqn          vi         man
:
	Where's 'troff' and 'nroff'?  I thought 'tbl' and 'eqn' were macro
packages for the *roff programs.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (11/22/88)

In article <7718@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <13541@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>: [ a bunch of CBM announcements at COMDEX ]
>:TITLE: AMIX(TM)- UNIX(tm) System V Compatible for Amiga(r) 2500UX
>: [ ... ]
>	Well, if you're going to include 'yacc', then where's 'lex'?  Or is
>'yacc' really 'bison'?

Don't worry -- it's all there.  AT&T "unbundles" Unix now, splitting it
into various optional parts, but we're "un-unbundling" it so that you
basically get everything that most people think of as Unix.  At the
moment that doesn't include BSD stuff but that should change shortly.

>	Where's 'troff' and 'nroff'?  I thought 'tbl' and 'eqn' were macro
>packages for the *roff programs.

Somehow a line got deleted in the description Marco posted -- I assume
it was missing on Bix as well, but the sheets at COMDEX were OK.  nroff
and device independent troff will be included.  tbl and eqn are
specialized preprocessors (for tables and equations) for *roff.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com

In article <7718@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <13541@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>: [ a bunch of CBM announcements at COMDEX ]
>:TITLE: Amiga(r) High Resolution Color Graphics Card
>: [ ... ]
>:*	Programmable resolutions up to 1024x1024 pixels.
>:
>	I sense some hidden information here, such as, "Yeah, you can get 1K
>x 1K, but only in monochrome."  Which isn't to say that's bad...

NO, NO, this stuff is 1K x 1K, 8-bitplanes + 2 overlay bitplanes (like
sprites).  Rich Miner was showing it off at COMDEX. It's HOT!  I would
have a use for it TODAY, if it were made available.

>:*	A Texas Instruments(tm) TMS34010 high speed graphics system processor
>:	executing graphics commands at up to 6 million instructions per
>:	second.
>:
>	Is this good?  The PC parket is jumping all over it, and therefore I
>can't help but feel there's something wrong with it...

It IS good.  Finally one could do "serious" CAD/CAM stuff.  The TI blitter
is FAST! Let me look it up in my thesis ... here it is:

Best case for BitBlt: 23.5 Million bits/sec. with VRAM (video RAM).
This is with the 34010 from 1986.  I don't know if TI has upgraded the chip
with a faster clock.

>:*	The industry standard TIGA graphics library provides a library
>:	of high speed graphics routines which execute on the TMS34010.
>:
>	TIGA?  Never heard of it.  Could someone provide details?

This is the Texas Instruments Graphics Application library (or something
like that). When I was working on my thesis on blitters I got all the
development stuff for the 34010 from TI.  The development tools for this
puppy are impressive.  These include libraries and a full C compiler
for the 34010. Rich confirmed to me that his group is porting the C compiler
and the TI tools to the Amiga.  If Rich is still reading the net, he could
give all the tech details.

>:TITLE: AMIX(TM)- UNIX(tm) System V Compatible for Amiga(r) 2500UX
>: [ ... ]
>:	standard development tools include:
>:
>:	cc          make          lint
>:	sdb         yacc          terminfo
>:
>	Well, if you're going to include 'yacc', then where's 'lex'?  Or is
>'yacc' really 'bison'?

Of course, lex is there.

>:*	Standard utilities and text processing tools include:
>:
>:	tbl            eqn          vi         man
>:
>	Where's 'troff' and 'nroff'?  I thought 'tbl' and 'eqn' were macro
>packages for the *roff programs.

I think it was in the original announcement.  A few lines where lost due
to noise on the line with BIX.  Sorry about that.  Think about AMIX as
a vanilla UNIX SysV with a proprietary "very fast" window system.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

ecphssrw@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (11/24/88)

I'm not going to hold my breath for the items in Marco's posting.  The
A2620 was announced quite a while ago, maybe even at *last* winter's
COMDEX, and still cannot be purchased.  I don't doubt Dave Haynie's
word that they are being manufactured, but I can't buy one.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu

In article <7718@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <13541@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>: [ a bunch of CBM announcements at COMDEX ]
>:TITLE: Amiga(r) High Resolution Color Graphics Card
>: [ ... ]
>:*	Programmable resolutions up to 1024x1024 pixels.
>:
>	I sense some hidden information here, such as, "Yeah, you can get 1K
>x 1K, but only in monochrome."  Which isn't to say that's bad...

	It was running at COMDEX in 1024x800, 256 out of 16 Million colors.

>:*	A Texas Instruments(tm) TMS34010 high speed graphics system processor
>:	executing graphics commands at up to 6 million instructions per
>:	second.
>:
>	Is this good?  The PC parket is jumping all over it, and therefore I
>can't help but feel there's something wrong with it...

	The '010 isn't too bad, though it's got little-indian brain damage. :-)
The '020 (which doesn't exist, and will be expensive when it does) is much
more sane and nice.

--
You've heard of CATS? Well, I'm a member of DOGS: Developers Of Great Software.
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup