[comp.sys.amiga] How can I tell if I'm running FFS?

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (11/22/88)

Yes, I know, a silly-sounding question.

When I got 1.3, I went through the whole rigamarole of getting
an FFS partition up on my ST-157N/Overdrive setup.  I edited my
mountlist to create a 3 cylinder old FS partition and the rest
FFS.  I am pretty sure I have everything in there correct.

I then mounted FS1 and formatted it.  I did not specify the FFS
option to format because the 1.3 Enhancer manual specifically
says that if you mount the partition properly and all the right stuff is
specified in the mountlist, then format should do FFS automatically
(yes, I was using the 1.3 mount command).  I also formatted the
old FS partition.

Now everything's up and running fine.  However, nothing seems
to be running any faster than before.  I added 30 buffers and
did not perceive any speedup.  Furthermore, I did not specify the
MAXTRANSFER field in my mountlist, and previous postings seemed to
indicate that I'm destined for problems using an Overdrive and not
specifying MAXTRANSFER.  However, I've experienced no problems
whatsoever.  I am therefore beginning to suspect that maybe I missed
some step in the process and am running old FS (???).

So:  How can I absolutely confirm that I am in fact running FFS on
my supposed FFS partition?  I can find nothing in the Enhancer
to indicate that there's a command which will show what file system
is running on any particular mounted device.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

P.S.  I thought that after I reformatted I had noticed a couple more
megs of space on the hard drive which I thought was a sure indication
that I was running FFS, but now I'm not so sure if I'm remembering
correctly (I'm hardly sure of my own name nowadays).  I'm getting
about 47 Megs on my ST157N right now.

.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...
|  Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     |    This mind intentionally   |
|  AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com |          left blank          |
.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...

dsking@pyr.gatech.EDU ( David King) (11/22/88)

In article <621@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
[Neil describes Overdrive FFS being no faster than SFS and asks
 how to tell if partition if FFS]

	There's a simple trick to recognizing FFS.  Do an info on
the disk's icon.  If the bytes per block is 512, then it is a FFS
partition.  If the bytes per block is 488, then it is a SFS
partition.

	Right now I am running a FFS partition with no MAXTRANSFER
but with a MASK=0x7FFFF.  The FFS partition is SLOWER than SFS in
raw transfer speed, but faster doing directories.  If I remove the
MASK parameter, any executable that is copied into the partition is
corrupted (Task held or "file is not an object module").  Any ideas
anyone?

>.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...
>|  Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     |    This mind intentionally   |
>|  AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com |          left blank          |
>.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...

				- David

--
 David King
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dsking

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (11/22/88)

In article <621@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>So:  How can I absolutely confirm that I am in fact running FFS on
>my supposed FFS partition?  I can find nothing in the Enhancer
>to indicate that there's a command which will show what file system
>is running on any particular mounted device.

Try the LOCK command. It is designed to lock/unlock FFS partitions.

Type: LOCK FAST: ON <return>

where fast: is the name of your partition. If the partition is old file
system you'll get a message: Attempt to change lock failed. If the partition
is FFS you'll get: FAST: locked

Don't forget to unlock it: LOCK FAST: OFF
  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/22/88)

In article <6824@pyr.gatech.EDU> dsking@pyr.UUCP ( David King) writes:
>	Right now I am running a FFS partition with no MAXTRANSFER
>but with a MASK=0x7FFFF.  The FFS partition is SLOWER than SFS in
>raw transfer speed, but faster doing directories.  If I remove the
>MASK parameter, any executable that is copied into the partition is
>corrupted (Task held or "file is not an object module").  Any ideas
>anyone?

Yes...you apparently have memory out there that your Overdrive can't
talk to.  That MASK value you are using is making sure the FFS only
uses CHIP ram for its direct DMA....which is going to slow things
down in a big way.

Do you have a really funny ram card or something ?
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/22/88)

In article <621@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>Yes, I know, a silly-sounding question.
>
>When I got 1.3, I went through the whole rigamarole of getting
>an FFS partition up on my ST-157N/Overdrive setup.  I edited my
>mountlist to create a 3 cylinder old FS partition and the rest
>FFS.  I am pretty sure I have everything in there correct.
>
>I then mounted FS1 and formatted it.  I did not specify the FFS
>option to format because the 1.3 Enhancer manual specifically
>says that if you mount the partition properly and all the right stuff is
>specified in the mountlist, then format should do FFS automatically
>(yes, I was using the 1.3 mount command).  I also formatted the
>old FS partition.

As long as you specified DosType in your MountList, and L:FastFileSystem,
and GlobVec = -1, you should be ok.  Format will do the right thing.
In fact, FFS and NOFFS options will be removed from Format in the
future.

>So:  How can I absolutely confirm that I am in fact running FFS on
>my supposed FFS partition?  I can find nothing in the Enhancer
>to indicate that there's a command which will show what file system
>is running on any particular mounted device.

Use the Workbench Info menu item ... FFS partitions
show 512 bytes per block.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (11/23/88)

In article <621@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
**stuff deleted**
>So:  How can I absolutely confirm that I am in fact running FFS on
>my supposed FFS partition?  I can find nothing in the Enhancer
>to indicate that there's a command which will show what file system
>is running on any particular mounted device.
>
>Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

One very easy way is to select the icon for your FFS partition and
do 'info' from the workbench menus.  A 'slow' partition will show 488
byte blocks under 1.3 and a FFS will show 512 byte blocks.

Yeah,  if you didn't see any performance increase I'd be
suspicious too!  I saw a 10x increase in writes and a 5x increase in
reads, right off the bat.
+           Stan Fisher        uunet!unisoft!nud!teroach!stan
+ Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona -  (602) 438-3228
+ "...no no, let's wait for the A5000, MC88000 based Amiga with 536 Million
+  colors and 2K square graphics resolution, Yeah, that's the ticket.."

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (11/23/88)

In article <1454@teroach.UUCP> stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
>In article <621@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (me) writes:
>>So:  How can I absolutely confirm that I am in fact running FFS on
>>my supposed FFS partition?
>
>One very easy way is to select the icon for your FFS partition and
>do 'info' from the workbench menus.  A 'slow' partition will show 488
>byte blocks under 1.3 and a FFS will show 512 byte blocks.

>+           Stan Fisher        uunet!unisoft!nud!teroach!stan

Well, mine show 512 and 536, respectively; I'll assume that I am in fact
running FFS.  So, only one question remains:  why haven't I noticed any
speedup?  Would some kind soul be willing to mail me a copy of DiskPerf
(and/or DiskPerfA, DiskPerfB, whatever) so I can really figure this out
for sure?

Also, can any users of the Overdrive/ST157N combination comment on the
speedup they have seen with FFS?  It's not like I'm unhappy with the
performance I'm getting, I just want to make sure I'm getting everything
there is to be had (does that make sense? ;-).

Thanks again.

.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...

dsking@pyr.gatech.EDU ( David King) (11/28/88)

In article <5296@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

>Do you have a really funny ram card or something ?

	Nope.  I've got a B2000 with 4.1 or 4.2 motherboard and no extra
memory.  I can open my machine and check which motherboard if that could
be the problem.

--

In article <623@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>In article <1454@teroach.UUCP> stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
>>In article <621@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (me) writes:
>>>So:  How can I absolutely confirm that I am in fact running FFS on
>>>my supposed FFS partition?
>>
>>One very easy way is to select the icon for your FFS partition and
>>do 'info' from the workbench menus.  A 'slow' partition will show 488
>>byte blocks under 1.3 and a FFS will show 512 byte blocks.
>
>>+           Stan Fisher        uunet!unisoft!nud!teroach!stan
>
>Well, mine show 512 and 536, respectively; I'll assume that I am in fact
>running FFS.  So, only one question remains:  why haven't I noticed any
>speedup?  Would some kind soul be willing to mail me a copy of DiskPerf
>(and/or DiskPerfA, DiskPerfB, whatever) so I can really figure this out
>for sure?

	536??  Sounds like a Mac sector size to me.  What showed 536??

--
You've heard of CATS? Well, I'm a member of DOGS: Developers Of Great Software.
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup