[comp.sys.amiga] pointer to amiga/2000 reviews

mathur@alberta.UUCP (Ambrish Mathur) (11/15/88)

I generally don't read this newsgroup. A friend is considering
buying the Amiga/2000 and would like to know if there is a BYTE
issue devoted to the Amiga. Any other pointers to exhaustive
reviews are also welcome. Thanks very much in advance. Please
email responses.

Ambrish Mathur
mathur@alberta.uucp

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (11/28/88)

In article <1830@pembina.UUCP> mathur@alberta.UUCP (Ambrish Mathur) writes:
>I generally don't read this newsgroup. A friend is considering
>buying the Amiga/2000 and would like to know if there is a BYTE
>issue devoted to the Amiga. Any other pointers to exhaustive
>reviews are also welcome. Thanks very much in advance. Please
>email responses.
>
>Ambrish Mathur
>mathur@alberta.uucp

 A BYTE issue devoted to the Amiga? Thanks for the best laugh I have had in
a long time. They DID do a look at the A2000. But that is the best they did.
(And there are interesting C= vs BYTE politics involved here. C= tried to tell
BYTE how to cover their revolutionary new machine which was little more than
a repackaged A1000. BYTE balked and some bad feelings evolved. Mostly these
have been patched over; but, BYTE is now a PCLone rag with a token Macintosh
coverage. This is imspite of 1) Amiga conferences being the biggest thing on
BIX today and quite regularly in the past, and 2) liberal flames on BIX about
the lack of Amiga coverage, and 3) BYTE's lack of general interest articles
with way way too many 'reviews" instead. Ah well... Such is life.)
(And hooboy - you usenet guys never flamed Jerry as well as Fred Langa has been
fried over the death of the er ah um "Classic BYTE".)

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and					quit playing with dragons and knights.

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (11/30/88)

In article <9024@gryphon.COM> jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) writes:
> A BYTE issue devoted to the Amiga? Thanks for the best laugh I have had in
>a long time. They DID do a look at the A2000. But that is the best they did.

You've forgotten the August(?) '85 issue when the A1000 made BYTE's cover.
This one had a number of articles about the Amiga and its revolutionary
design.  This almost qualifies as a "BYTE issue devoted to the Amiga".

-scott

cs161agc@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (11/30/88)

In article <9024@gryphon.COM> jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> A BYTE issue devoted to the Amiga? Thanks for the best laugh I have had in
>a long time. They DID do a look at the A2000. But that is the best they did.

>	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes

  Remember way back when, 1985, August or so, a BYTE featuring the
Amiga (a big "A") on the cover? I have that issue around here
somewhere...  Anyway, it was pretty excellent coverage of the Amiga.
In fact, that one issue convinced me to buy an Amiga.  Remember way,
way back when, when Computerland used to sell Amigas?  We've come a
long way, baby...

  John Schultz

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (11/30/88)

:
:You've forgotten the August(?) '85 issue when the A1000 made BYTE's cover.
:This one had a number of articles about the Amiga and its revolutionary
:design.  This almost qualifies as a "BYTE issue devoted to the Amiga".
:
:-scott

Yeah, but I think that's long enough ago that it falls in the
"What have you done for me lately?" category.

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda