[comp.sys.amiga] To Rick Sterling of CBM

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (11/30/88)

I'm sorry to have to post this, but I lost your address.

>Gary,
>
>  Send me a copy of your mountlist and I'll check it out ... be aware that
>  setting maxtransfer and mask ARE performance hits that may be
>  unavoidable with some 3rd party controllers.
>
>     - Rick
Rick,
   Thanks for your concern.  I don't have a copy of my mountlist handy
but I can recall the important parts of it from memory.  God knows, I've
looked at it enough lately.  I have found that specifying a MASK parm
slows the process down considerably, but that when I drop it from the
mountlist, I get frequent Task Held requesters.  Sometimes on startup.
(Usually in Dmouse.)  Always with DME.  I haven't done exhaustive
testing but I haven't had any software failures with C: programs so far.
Note that I don't really think that DME is broken but I find it
interesting that it always bombs there.

At first I thought that I might be having problems with RAM, so I did a
little test.  I set the MASK on one of my partitions to confine DMA to
CHIP RAM.  I modified the startup-sequence to run nofastmem, and
rebooted.  Still task held.  If not on startup, certainly with DME.  So
it doesn't appear to be a memory problem since the same thing happens
with both flavors of RAM.

Pacific Periph. supplies a little, undocumented, program on their
distrubution disk called DMAoff.  It does just what it sounds like.  I
restarted the system with no MASK parm and FAST RAM turned back on.
I ran DMAoff and cautiously typed DME.  No Task Held.  I conclude that
my problem is related to the DMA feature of the Overdrive, and is not
really C='s problem.  However, my mountlist (to the best of my memory)
follows in case you've got some suggestions.

Note that I have 2 partitions but I'll show you only DH1: since that's
the one I've been experimenting on.

DH1:  Device=overdrive.device
      FileSystem=l:fastfilesystem
      Unit=1
      Flags=0
      Surfaces=6
      BlocksPerTrack=26
      Reserved=2
      Interleave=0
      LowCyl and HighCyl not terribly important here (Can't remember)
      Buffers=30
      Stacksize=0x800
      GlobVec=-1
      DosType=0x444F5301
      BufMemType=1 (have also used 3)
      Mount=0  (I like this feature, BTW.  I keep downloads and my nasty
               C programs in this partition and since I'm not always
               downloading or programming, it's nice that the disk icon
               for this partition doesn't clutter my WB screen unless I use
               it.  Neat.)
      MaxTransfer=65536
#

Thanks for your time.

Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  Not speaking for Clemson University

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (12/01/88)

In article <3685@hubcap.UUCP> disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
>I'm sorry to have to post this, but I lost your address.
>               for this partition doesn't clutter my WB screen unless I use
>               it.  Neat.)
>      MaxTransfer=65536

Try making your MaxTransfer much smaller...65536 is 128 blocks
at a time, which may be too much for their controller software.

Try 1024 and work your way up.

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"