[comp.sys.amiga] 1084 or 1084S monitors

eric@ms.uky.edu (Eric H. Herrin II) (11/14/88)

I'm getting ready to purchase an Amiga 500 and monitor, but I have very
limited experience with the machine.  My question is:
	Has anyone had any experience with the Commodore monitors,
	specifically the 1084 or 1084S?  Is it a decent monitor?
	Is there something better out there for a comparable price?
	Experiences (good or bad)?
I haven't seen it really mentioned in any of the literature I've been
able to acquire.  I'd really appreciate any responses.

				eric

--
|  Eric H. Herrin II - University of Kentucky Mathematical Sciences Labs     |
|								             |

maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) (11/15/88)

  The 1084 is a relativly good monitor, *BUT* you do get what you pay for. If
you are willing to spend the extra $250 or so, I would go for an NEC
MultiSync, BUT the NEC doesn't work to well in interlace mode. Nice sharp
edged in any other mode, tho...
UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!maddie | Disclaimer :
ARPA: crash!pnet01!maddie@nosc.mil                        | The only company
INET: maddie@pnet01.CTS.COM                               | who thinks like me,
[ Some day I'll come up with a nifty .signature... ]      | is owned by me.

maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) (11/15/88)

  Arg! Durn editor here... (complain complain)

  anyways... don't spend the extra $25 or $30 for the 1084s unless you DON'T
have a stereo near your computer, and don't PLAN on having a stereo near your
computer in the near future.
 (All they did was add another speaker, and a balance control...)
,

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (11/29/88)

In article <3579@crash.cts.com> maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) writes:

>you are willing to spend the extra $250 or so, I would go for an NEC
>MultiSync, BUT the NEC doesn't work to well in interlace mode. Nice sharp
>edged in any other mode, tho...

I have an NEC Multisync II hooked up to an Amiga 2000 here at Wash. U.
and another on my Amiga 2000 at home.  They work great in interlace
mode (much better than the 1084 and 1080).

==========
IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel       Best way: (314)889-6379
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (12/01/88)

In article <583@wuphys.UUCP> lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) writes:
>In article <3579@crash.cts.com> maddie@pnet01.cts.com (Tom Schenck) writes:
>>
>>you are willing to spend the extra $250 or so, I would go for an NEC
>>MultiSync, BUT the NEC doesn't work to well in interlace mode. Nice sharp
>>edged in any other mode, tho...
>
>I have an NEC Multisync II hooked up to an Amiga 2000 here at Wash. U.
>and another on my Amiga 2000 at home.  They work great in interlace
>mode (much better than the 1084 and 1080).

I appoligize for posting this, but two attemps to e-mail have bounced:

Lyle, you stated your NEC multi-sync II works fine with interlaced.
A friend of mine is trying to get a Magnovox multi-sync to work on her 2000,
and the interlace looks like crap.  I don't know if the two monitors are close
enough, but what did you do on your NEC to make it work, specifically,
what is your cable pinout connecting the monitor?  I was told at COMDEX
by a Commodore person that the cabling was the trick.  If the NEC will work
and Magnovox won't, maybe she could take it back and trade for the NEC.

Thanks in advace, and again, I appoligize for posting this.

+           Stan Fisher        uunet!unisoft!nud!teroach!stan
+ Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona -  (602) 438-3228
+ "...no no, let's wait for the A5000, MC88000 based Amiga with 536 Million
+  colors and 2K square graphics resolution, Yeah, that's the ticket.."