[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga advertising - was Re: TV advert in UK

ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (11/30/88)

Kevan Gelling writes:
>Nice one Commodore.

On the other hand, the ad in today's New York Times fell right next
to an equal sized ad for the Atari Mega 2.

The Atari ad gave a nice table showing why the Atari is faster, cheaper,
and more powerful than a Mac SE.

The Amiga ad had a couple of big pictures, and "Get a free VCR!"

In the Science Times section of the NY Times, I'd think the Atari
ad would be much more effective.  I'd like to see an ad comparing
all three directly.  (Unfortunately, the Amiga might come out
at the bottom, with the slowest clock speed and the least standard
memory, and no SCSI port - hmm.  Maybe I should trade in my 2000. :-).
For the $400 or so price difference between the Atari Mega 2
and the Amiga 500, you could just about add 2M memory, or 1M plus
a CMI processor accelerator, to even the odds, but that doesn't
make a good advertisement.

	- Ranjit

"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...
If you throw a rock into the night and something barks, you know you hit a dog.

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (12/01/88)

In article ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>On the other hand, the ad in today's New York Times fell right next
>to an equal sized ad for the Atari Mega 2.
>
>The Atari ad gave a nice table showing why the Atari is faster, cheaper,
>and more powerful than a Mac SE.
>
>ad would be much more effective.  I'd like to see an ad comparing
>all three directly.  (Unfortunately, the Amiga might come out
>at the bottom, with the slowest clock speed and the least standard
>memory, and no SCSI port - hmm.  Maybe I should trade in my 2000. :-).

As long as you choose the right specs you can make any system look
faster.
How about line draw speed. Polygon fill speed.
How about floating point speed?
How about number of simultaneous executing tasks?
How about number of simultaneous on screen colors?
How about number of audio channels?
How about built in speech synthesizer?
.
.
.

--
Dale Luck     Boing, Inc. {uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale
Although I do contract work for Amiga-LosGatos, my opinions probably