[comp.sys.amiga] Sculpt3d animation

rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) (12/01/88)

Hi, this is my first post; apologies for any errors...

I bought Sculpt3d in March 88.  Recently I started messing with script files,
building a scene, saving the image, moving stuff around, saving the image, etc.
The point of all this is to build the frames of an animation. Well... my
problem is that nothing I've tried yet will compress the darn things into a
playable animation.
Makeanim - produces an animation, but when it is played the output is corrupted
Movie 1.3 - complains about the color maps differing, won't produce a delta
            file
So, what am i doing wrong? Do I need to specify some option within Sculpt to
get the same color map, or is there some other PUBLIC DOMAIN program that
will compress the frames for me?

Email will do fine. I'll summarize if sufficient response.
Thanks in advance
Rick Forrest            INTERNET:  rick.forrest@Columbia.NCR.COM
                   or           ...hubcap!ncrcae!rickfor

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (12/01/88)

rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) writes:

[about how he is having problems saving Sculpt frames and then making
an animation out of them]

>So, what am i doing wrong? Do I need to specify some option within Sculpt to
>get the same color map, or is there some other PUBLIC DOMAIN program that
>will compress the frames for me?

There's a hidden menu item or two in Sculpt and you probably don't know
about.

When you run the program, click into the upper left hand
tri-view window (the one labeled "down") and type CONTROL-D.

A requester will pop up asking you for a "magic number." Delete the "0"
in the gadget, type "123" (sans quotes) and hit return. Now mouse over
to the observer menu, selection "mode" and way down at the bottom you'll
see a couple of new items you never saw before, something like "lock
palette" or "color lock" and "color unlock."

Lock the palette and THEN make your separate frames.

There are some other "magic numbers" for that requester that do some other
things, less useful... I have a file about it here somewhere which I
can post if anyone would find it useful.

My question would be - why are these features hidden like this to begin
with?  They're not documented anywhere in Sculpt's manual.

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

skinner@luther.cs.unc.edu (Andrew Skinner) (12/02/88)

In article <9143@gryphon.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) writes:
>[about how he is having problems saving Sculpt frames and then making
>an animation out of them]
>>So, what am i doing wrong? Do I need to specify some option within Sculpt to
>>get the same color map, or is there some other PUBLIC DOMAIN program that
>>will compress the frames for me?
>>
>There's a hidden menu item or two in Sculpt and you probably don't know
>about.
>There are some other "magic numbers" for that requester that do some other
>things, less useful... I have a file about it here somewhere which I
>can post if anyone would find it useful.
>
>My question would be - why are these features hidden like this to begin
>with?  They're not documented anywhere in Sculpt's manual.
>
>Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
>UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
>INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com

    That's interesting, but how is it relevant?  Sculpt-Animate 3D has something
about color locking in it's manual, though I don't remember any such obscure
instructions.  It has to do with the use of the same colors through the entire
sequence of frames, rather than selecting new HAM basic colors for each one, I
think.  How does color locking help with the problem of not getting the
animation to compress the frames?  I know that frame compression is usually
done after the frames are rendered, as part of the Render All command in the
Modify Take requester.
    I am interested in your file of other magic numbers.
    By the way, this isn't at all a flame to your response, just curious how it
fits.  I don't have my manuals with me, and I'm not an expert here.  Actually,
I'm feeling fairly timid, anyway, because of the message I got when I wanted
to follow-up.  The effect was something like:
    Do you really, really, REALLY want to do this?  You realize you're costing
us lots of money, and that nuclear waste will be spread out into the world
proportionally to the distribution of your posting?  Can your conscience
handle this?  :-) I need a symbol for exaggeration:  ( :-) >> truth )

andy skinner
skinner@unc.cs.unc.edu