[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaDOS 1.3 & ARP - Do they get along?

davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (David Guntner) (11/19/88)

Here's a question for all of you amiga.gurus out there:  I have just receintly
gotten AmigaDOS/WorkBench 1.3 (havent' bought the KickStart 1.3 ROMs yet), and
I'd like to transfer my ARP commands to the disks using it to gain the benifits
of the smaller/better/faster/etc. replacement commands.  I seem to recall
reading on this group, however, that 1.3 and ARP don't seem to get along too
well, and that there is an upgraded version of the ARP commands in the works.
So the question is, is any/all of this true?  Can the existing ARP work under
1.3, or will there be all kinds of visits from the Guru if I even dare to think
about such a thing in the presence of my computer?  Is there a new version of
ARP in the works?  This enquiring mind wants to know!  Thanks in advance.
                           --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!killer!davidg
                       INET: davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (11/22/88)

In article <6157@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (David Guntner) writes:
>Here's a question for all of you amiga.gurus out there:  I have just receintly
>gotten AmigaDOS/WorkBench 1.3 (havent' bought the KickStart 1.3 ROMs yet), and
>I'd like to transfer my ARP commands to the disks using it to gain the benifits
>of the smaller/better/faster/etc. replacement commands.  I seem to recall
>reading on this group, however, that 1.3 and ARP don't seem to get along too

Let's see, you're mostly OK with the ARP commands, except
ARP Copy (current ARP copy doesn't preserve protection bits, and tends
      to fragment disks since it copies in alphabetical order, doesn't
      work with PIPE:)

ARP Mount (doesn't have the new 1.3 options)

(1.3 LIST & PROTECT handle the new protection bits)

>well, and that there is an upgraded version of the ARP commands in the works.
>So the question is, is any/all of this true?  Can the existing ARP work under
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy) (11/29/88)

A few other ARP programs i noticed some minor incompatibilities with:
   Info - reports some disk sizes incorrectly
      (told me df0: was 837K, and said my 63M, 13% full harddrive
       was 30M and 28% full)
   Rename - tried to create a subdirectory with the "to" name and
       move the file there instead of renaming the file that name.

There were a few others, but i can't remember now.

-Michael
 mjm@manatee.cis.ufl.edu

scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry) (11/30/88)

From article <19446@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy):

> A few other ARP programs i noticed some minor incompatibilities with:
>    Info - reports some disk sizes incorrectly
>       (told me df0: was 837K, and said my 63M, 13% full harddrive
>        was 30M and 28% full)

If you read the man page on the ARP Info, it says (more or less, I'm not at
home now): "The ARP Info command reports sizes based upon the actual amount
of data bytes per block (488 on OFS file systems), instead of (incorrectly)
assuming 512 bytes per block". When I upgraded to 1.3 and converted my hard
disk to FFS, I "magically" gained ((512-488)/512) more _usable_ disk space,
which ARP's Info command correctly showed, but the Amigados Info said I still
had the same amount of space...

>    Rename - tried to create a subdirectory with the "to" name and
>        move the file there instead of renaming the file that name.
>
> There were a few others, but i can't remember now.
>
> -Michael
>  mjm@manatee.cis.ufl.edu

              Scott Henry <scotth@harlie.sgi.com>

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
--
              Scott Henry <scotth@harlie.sgi.com> {or, also on the Internet:}
                          <skywalker@cup.portal.com>

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/30/88)

In article <19446@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy) writes:

> A few other ARP programs i noticed some minor incompatibilities with:
>    Info - reports some disk sizes incorrectly
>       (told me df0: was 837K, and said my 63M, 13% full harddrive
>        was 30M and 28% full)

Welllll ... for df0: it is actually more correct than the CBM Info.  It is
reporting how many *data* bytes are available (assuming the original file
system).  I.e., 1758 blocks * 488 bytes/block / 1024.

This does not explain the problem with your HD, however ...

/kim
--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (12/01/88)

In article <22558@sgi.SGI.COM> scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry) writes:
>From article <19446@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy):
>assuming 512 bytes per block". When I upgraded to 1.3 and converted my hard
>disk to FFS, I "magically" gained ((512-488)/512) more _usable_ disk space,
>which ARP's Info command correctly showed, but the Amigados Info said I still
>had the same amount of space...

The AmigaDOS Info command asks the filesystem attached to the drive,
and reports whatever the filesystem tells it; the old filesystem
lied (returned 512 instead of 488), the fast file system
tells the truth (returns 512).
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"

mjm@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Murphy) (12/02/88)

In article <22558@sgi.SGI.COM> scotth@harlie.SGI.COM (Scott Henry) writes:

[excerpt from my own prev. article deleted]

>If you read the man page on the ARP Info, it says (more or less, I'm not at
>home now): "The ARP Info command reports sizes based upon the actual amount
>of data bytes per block (488 on OFS file systems), instead of (incorrectly)
>assuming 512 bytes per block". When I upgraded to 1.3 and converted my hard
>disk to FFS, I "magically" gained ((512-488)/512) more _usable_ disk space,
>which ARP's Info command correctly showed, but the Amigados Info said I still
>had the same amount of space...

Okay, sorry i missed that.  That does seem like the more correct way to do
it, at least as for as the floppy size goes.  But i still don't see why
ARP's info said my harddisk was 30M.  I neglected to mention before that my
harddisk is one partition, FFS.  AmigaDos info tells me that it is 63M, with
512 bytes per block.  It certainly should be, using either 'info'.

-Michael
 mjm@manatee.cis.ufl.edu