[comp.sys.amiga] What is a good monitor?

eric@pyrps5 (Eric Bergan) (11/19/88)

	I'm in the market for a new color monitor (rule out the Viking)
for my Amiga. Most of what I do is graphics, some program development,
games, etc. To be honest, right now all I probably need is another
standard RGB monitor, but I want to plan ahead for the future,
such as a flickerFixer or future video developments from CBM.

	So, what should I buy? If I buy a multisync monitor, what
will that impact with my current setup? Will interlace be better/worse?
Noninterlace? What will I need to support CBM's futures? In any case,
what are good monitors (both standard and multisync)?

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (11/20/88)

Buy an NEC Multisync II or a Princeton Graphics Ultrasync.  Interlace is
exactly the same as with a single-frequency monitor, but the dot pitch on
these monitors (.31 mm and .28 mm respectively) makes the Amiga display very
crisp.  If you don't buy a multisync, you'll be out of luck when the next
generation of graphics chips arrive.  The Seiko CM-1430 is supposed to be
very good (PC Week), but I haven't seen one myself.
                                             Stuart Pierce

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (11/22/88)

If you can't afford a multisync, the next choice would be a Sony
KV1311CR (RGB analog/digital and composite, with tuner) or KV1310,
the same without the tuner. I used to work at a place that sold
Amigas, and difference between the Sony and the 1084 was immense.

The Thomson RGB Analog is a little better than the 1084, also,
besides being cheaper.
 Hal Meeks                 "I'm living in a condo,
 netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet     with Henry Thoreau"
 hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu        --Reagan Years, Part II

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (12/01/88)

In article <47632@pyramid.pyramid.com> eric@pyrps5 (Eric Bergan) writes:

>	I'm in the market for a new color monitor (rule out the Viking)
>for my Amiga. Most of what I do is graphics, some program development,
>games, etc. To be honest, right now all I probably need is another
>standard RGB monitor, but I want to plan ahead for the future,
>such as a flickerFixer or future video developments from CBM.
>
>	So, what should I buy? If I buy a multisync monitor, what
>will that impact with my current setup? Will interlace be better/worse?
>Noninterlace? What will I need to support CBM's futures? In any case,
>what are good monitors (both standard and multisync)?

I'd strongly recommend a Multisync II.  I use one here in the lab with
an Amiga 2000 and I have one at home with a Flicker Fixer.  The video
looks much better than on the 1080, 2002, 1080, or Sony monitor/tv
combo.  To hook it up, just buy a cable from just about any mail
order place or a local dealer.  For best results, get a flicker fixer
and build a little T-switch box to switch between FF video and
standard video.  It works GREAT! I have heard people say you can't
use an NEC Multisync with interlace but I have done it with
3 multisyncs and 2 Amigas. Works fine. They also have this setup
at one of the local dealers.
	I do know that improper cabling will confuse the multisync
and cause it to miss behave in interlace mode but a properly made
cable (available by mail order) works perfectly.  Should cost
under $20.

==========
IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel       Best way: (314)889-6379
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (12/03/88)

From article <584@wuphys.UUCP>, by lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine):
> I'd strongly recommend a Multisync II.  I use one here in the lab with
> an Amiga 2000 and I have one at home with a Flicker Fixer.  The video
> looks much better than on the 1080, 2002, 1080, or Sony monitor/tv

I've got the Multisync I (I guess you'd call it), the original one made
by NEC, the model number is something like JC-P1401 as I remember.

I agree, the fine dot pitch really makes a world of difference. On the
negative side: there is no useful width adjustment (that switch is a
placebo :-), and the HV regulation is nearly non-existant (flipping the
screen color from black to white causes a very noticable size increase
in the picture). Still, the overall picture is great, and it's quite
possible that the Multisync II has fixed these problems.

> combo.  To hook it up, just buy a cable from just about any mail
> order place or a local dealer.  For best results, get a flicker fixer
> and build a little T-switch box to switch between FF video and
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you actually done this? I've been toying with the idea, but also
wondering if running video through a switchbox mess would degrade the
image quality. The motion breakup doesn't bother me much on most
software, but there are a few games (especially Emerald Mine) that
really suffer from it.

If it's really as easy as hooking up a DB-9 switchbox, I'll do it in a
second!

> standard video.  It works GREAT! I have heard people say you can't
> use an NEC Multisync with interlace but I have done it with
> 3 multisyncs and 2 Amigas. Works fine. They also have this setup
> at one of the local dealers.
> 	I do know that improper cabling will confuse the multisync
> and cause it to miss behave in interlace mode but a properly made
> cable (available by mail order) works perfectly.  Should cost
> under $20.

I've been one person grousing about the Multisync not working in
interlace, but again, this is the original model, now discontinued. It's
not a cabling problem, I tried every combination of sync signals with no
effect at all. It looks like NEC corrected their error in the new
design.

I would definitly recommend a multi-sync/scan/etc monitor to anyone that
is even toying with the idea of buying a flickerFixer. If you're
planning to just use the non-interlace mode in the unavailable Enhanced
Chip Set, I'd also suggest that you buy a multi-frequency monitor from
NEC, Sony, or another known name instead of buying Commodore's announced
multisync monitor. The Amigas are great, but the Commodore monitors
leave a LOT to be desired.

On the flickerFixer, I don't think I can really say it was worth the
$450 or so I paid for it. I think it's worth about $250-350, but not
$450-600. On the other hand, the image is beautiful, and I love having a
usable 704x470 Workbench screen. And you'd never get me to give it up
and go back to flicker and 200 line screens, so maybe it IS worth the
money after all.  :-)

The only _real_ problem I've found with the flickerFixer is that I now
use a lot of 400 line screens, so I burn up a lot of chip RAM. I _NEED_
a 1 meg Agnus badly!

(Trivia: Did you know that if you don't have enough Chip RAM to display
a picture "Display" reports that the picture is not an ILBM? Strange and
confusing error message!)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne