[comp.sys.amiga] MaxTransfer for Overdrive

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (12/03/88)

From article <5386@cbmvax.UUCP>, by andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel):
> In article <3685@hubcap.UUCP> disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
>>I'm sorry to have to post this, but I lost your address.
>>               for this partition doesn't clutter my WB screen unless I use
>>               it.  Neat.)
>>      MaxTransfer=65536
>
> Try making your MaxTransfer much smaller...65536 is 128 blocks
> at a time, which may be too much for their controller software.
>
> Try 1024 and work your way up.
Yup.  That was it.  Could've sworn I checked that.  Thanks!
Actually I've got it set at 512 at the moment.  I noticed something
unusual in the process.  At least I think I noticed something.

When I was first testing the programs that weren't loading correctly, I
was invoking them from CLI (not SHELL).  I managed to settle on a
MaxTransfer number of ~16K and DME (et al) would load without guruing on me.
As soon as I started using my normal setup, WB with a SHELL active, I
got gurus when I launched these programs from WB.  Is this possible, or
can it be attributed to my staying up too late?  I eventually arrived at
the 512 figure because even 1024 was still causing a few gurus.

I also noticed another curious phenomenon.  Sometimes when opening a WB
drawer, one or two of the icons would get chumped.  Are there any
Overdrive owners who are running FFS and who regularly use WB?  If so do
you also use DME, Dmouse (sorry Matt, I know it's not your fault but the
Overdrive software just can't seem to keep up with your blindingly fast
code. :-), the shareware Sonix PLAY program, or Aztec CC (there are
others but these are the ones I can remember)?   I'm trying to determine
if there's something not quite right with my hardware, or if the
Overdrive.device is just junk.

Thanks.

Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  Not speaking for Clemson University

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (12/03/88)

I also use a MaxTransfer of 512, in my case so my 2090 doesn't
hang when I'm loading a picture into 640x400x4 DPaint.  The
performance degradation isn't all that great, since I've also got
the non-DMAable Ronin memory.

-tom