[comp.sys.amiga] Discovery Software policy

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (11/29/88)

[ ----------for very special flames, use a line heater---------- ]

DSI (Discovery Software International) is the publisher of the copy/backup
software Marauder. They also edit games, such as ZOOM.
I bought both Marauder and ZOOM.
What's wrong:
1) they sell Marauder as a tool to make THE backup of your
commercial disks that is allowed by the law.
2) they ask money for a backup disk of ZOOM. It is absolutely impossible to
make a backup of ZOOM. I tried with all copy-programs I can have access to.

ZOOM is saving high-scores on the disk. Due to some special disk-format, how
long is my disk going to work properly ?

Now for registration: when I bought Marauder, I send my registration card,
and this should entitle me to an access on a BBS where you can download the
so-called brain files. I NEVER received an answer. Why ? certainly because
France is far, and overseas mailings are expensive and ...
I'm certainly not going to engage a correspondance with DSI on this subject.
I will NEVER  buy a DSI product in the future, and suggest you all do the
same. I find their policy not only hypocritical but simply dishonest.
--
*- Francois Rouaix                 //       When the going gets tough,       *
*- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           the guru goes meditating...   *

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (12/01/88)

In article <1188@inria.UUCP> rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) writes:
>DSI (Discovery Software International) is the publisher of the copy/backup
>software Marauder. They also edit games, such as ZOOM.
>I bought both Marauder and ZOOM.
>What's wrong:
>1) they sell Marauder as a tool to make THE backup of your
>commercial disks that is allowed by the law.
>2) they ask money for a backup disk of ZOOM. It is absolutely impossible to
>make a backup of ZOOM. I tried with all copy-programs I can have access to.

Try 'Project-D',  it has (among others) a special 'Zoom' tool for backing
up just that disk.  Proj-D is a real nice backup program, with several
other tools included,  available from (for one) Computer Discount (602) 274-9599

+           Stan Fisher        uunet!unisoft!nud!teroach!stan
+ Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona -  (602) 438-3228
+ "...no no, let's wait for the A5000, MC88000 based Amiga with 536 Million
+  colors and 2K square graphics resolution, Yeah, that's the ticket.."

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (12/01/88)

in article <1188@inria.UUCP>, rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) says:
> I'm certainly not going to engage a correspondance with DSI on this subject.
> I will NEVER  buy a DSI product in the future, and suggest you all do the
> same. I find their policy not only hypocritical but simply dishonest.

Discovery stopped selling Marauder some time ago, probably because they
couldn't justify selling copy protected software that Marauder won't back up.

----

davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (David Guntner) (12/01/88)

From article <150@modcomp.UUCP>, by srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz):
> in article <1188@inria.UUCP>, rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) says:
>> I'm certainly not going to engage a correspondance with DSI on this subject.
>> I will NEVER  buy a DSI product in the future, and suggest you all do the
>> same. I find their policy not only hypocritical but simply dishonest.
>
> Discovery stopped selling Marauder some time ago, probably because they
> couldn't justify selling copy protected software that Marauder won't back up.

In simpler terms, they sold out.  They decided to sell copy protected software,
and do all the things that they claimed that they were against (like a
software vender who wouldn't allow you to make a backup copy of your
investment) (I don't know if they actually claimed that, but it sure is infered
if you're going to all the trouble of making a program designed to copy a
protected something, and even extending it to the point of trying to de-protect
the software that you're copying while you're at it...). :-(  I certainly have
no intention of buying software from a turncoat....
                          --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!killer!davidg
                       INET: davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US

kez224@leah.Albany.Edu (K Zinssar) (12/01/88)

Rick Ross talked to a friend of mine a couple weeks ago. He said that they
(Discovery) felt that it wa a conflict of interests to have Marauder out
while selling games and such. They are supposed to be working on some new
things also, I think he said something about a word-processor.
Marauder MADE Discovery, they shouldn't drop it, the entire scenario is

pretty stupid from my point of view.

					Kenneth Zinssar
					Poor College Student
					SUNY Albany

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (12/03/88)

> Discovery stopped selling Marauder some time ago, probably because they
> couldn't justify selling copy protected software that Marauder won't back up.

I can't confirm it, but it's been said that they became very concious of
their hypocrisy because of a clause in their Arkanoid licensing agreement
with Taito. :-)

-larry

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-