[comp.sys.amiga] "Rocket Ranger" and "3 Stooges" HELP!!

ljc@otter.hpl.hp.com (Lee Carter) (11/30/88)

Cinemaware Have produced two excellent games in "Three Stooges" and
"Rocket Ranger".
Unfortunately, they are both proving a little difficult to master, so
I am asking for help:

Stooges - In the slap-fight, what are the best joystick moves to get the
          hand slowed right down - this is the most important screen and
          the one I'm least good at!
          What is the best sequence to get to the shop and back in the
          boxing - I can JUST do it in time 60% of the time (and fail the
          rest!)

Ranger - I haven't had this one long, so I'm asking for any hints that anyone
         has on playing - I've gotten taking off down perfect, but always
         run out of time and get all my agents shot! I can raid the "temple
	 in the jungle" fuel bases every time, but get shot down by Me-109's
	 with depressing regularity every time I venture over Germany. I
	 can give the nazi soldier a damned good beating, but can't catch
	 the zepplin before it gets into German airspace!

All help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Lee Carter.

zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown) (12/02/88)

In article <620013@otter.hpl.hp.com> ljc@otter.hpl.hp.com (Lee Carter) writes:
>Cinemaware Have produced two excellent games in "Three Stooges" and
>Stooges - In the slap-fight, what are the best joystick moves to get the
>          hand slowed right down - this is the most important screen and
>          the one I'm least good at!
>          What is the best sequence to get to the shop and back in the
>          boxing - I can JUST do it in time 60% of the time (and fail the
>          rest!)

Hmm. Your question smacks (!:-) of not reading the docs, especially the
card.  But anyway...  (I am pretty sure this guy didn't copy it, I haven't
found anything that can...hope my disks hold up!) (Does anything copy 'em?)

Minor play hints, no MAJOR Spoilers...

nyuk-nyuk-nyuk-woo-woo-woo!

It is critical to fake Larry and Curly out when you are setting up for
a swat.  Fake a couple times, swat.  Mix your shots, they all seem to
have equal luck provided you can fake them first.

It is far better to waste time faking and get 100% hits when you do
slap, than fake-n-miss-fake-fake-hit-miss-miss.

I am still trying to get more than $20000 to see if thats enough to get
the girls... I can regularly get over $15k but they just smile and
say "Thanks Stooges!"  Someone PLEASE TAKE PITY ON ME!!!

Use that joystick and get Larry running faster!  You should make it, I do
regularly in 4th and 5th rounds...

IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU TAKE THE WAITERS JOB AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN.  Thats
where big money can be made!!
    // You've heard of CATS, DOGS, & GOATS?  *NOW* TRY GERBILS!
   //   "Gladly Educating Real Beginners In Latest Software!"
\\//   Lawrence H. Brown       USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!zlhb0a
 \/      (918-660-4389) USmail: 7325 E. 50th, Tulsa, OK 74145

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (12/04/88)

Before I get into the "followup" part of the message, I just wanted to share
a solution I've found to the "reboot at the end of the game" problem that I
had with Stooges...  The answer is RAD:!  Since I have a 1.5 meg A1000, I
made up a special boot disk which was a DiskCopy of the Reel 1 disk, with the
special script file and the "invisible" file deleted from it to make space,
but the rest of the files intact.  I then modified the Startup-Sequence to
mount an 80-track RAD: and DiskCopied this disk to RAD: on the initial
boot-up, and then re-wrote the Startup-Sequence in RAD:s to just start the
game on a reboot (assuming that there's no disk in drive 0 when you reboot).
The procedure was a bit tricky, since disk space is tight, but if there is
anyone else out there who is interested, please EMail me & I'll mail you a
copy of my Startup-Sequence and related notes.  Please note that this
procedure did NOT de-protect the game; I must still insert my master Reel 1
disk in drive 0 at the start of the game, but I remove it after the music
starts.  Another side effect of this procedure is that the game plays much
faster, especially for the scenarios that (used to) make numerous accesses to
drive 0!

And, now to the followups:

In article <648@apctrc.UUCP> lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) writes:
>In article <620013@otter.hpl.hp.com> ljc@otter.hpl.hp.com (Lee Carter) writes:
>>Stooges - In the slap-fight, what are the best joystick moves to get the
>>          hand slowed right down - this is the most important screen and
>>          the one I'm least good at!
>>          What is the best sequence to get to the shop and back in the
>>          boxing - I can JUST do it in time 60% of the time (and fail the
>>          rest!)

Okay, more hints/spoilers (well, almost a "cheat") following:

>It is critical to fake Larry and Curly out when you are setting up for
>a swat.  Fake a couple times, swat.  Mix your shots, they all seem to
>have equal luck provided you can fake them first.

Actually, I've found an even better way to slow down the hand, which I
believe I read in the AmigaWhirled "hints" column; after slapping the guys up
a couple of times, turn to Curly and pull his ear!  But, don't let go!  For
some reason it doesn't always work the first time you try it, but after it
does, you'll continuously succeed at the "hit", and you'll be able to slow
things down quite a bit!
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
     ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes