[comp.sys.amiga] Hidden bit

dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu (11/26/88)

In the April 1988 Amiga Sentry on page 12:

PROTECT has new syntax and can make a file Hidden, Script,
Pure, or Archive.

The 1.3 manual doesn't list the protection flags, List and
protect only admit the existance of 7 (a suspicious number)
flags, Hidden noticably missing from the list. So does the
hidden bit exist? has it been removed or just "hidden"? If it
exists, how do I set it? I want to make all my .info files hidden.

                                     Douglas Peale

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/26/88)

In article <999@hub.ucsb.edu>, dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
> In the April 1988 Amiga Sentry on page 12:
>
> PROTECT has new syntax and can make a file Hidden, Script,
> Pure, or Archive.
>
> The 1.3 manual doesn't list the protection flags, List and
> protect only admit the existance of 7 (a suspicious number)
> flags, Hidden noticably missing from the list. So does the
> hidden bit exist? has it been removed or just "hidden"? If it
> exists, how do I set it? I want to make all my .info files hidden.

I read about the "hidden" attribute someplace too (AmigaWorld's series
on 1.3 maybe ?), but the 1.3 Protect command doesn't support it.

I also checked in my newly received 1.3 includes (thanks, Lauren!), and
it's not defined in them either ... only the other seven: sparwed (gee,
that's even pronouncable ... sparwed).

Maybe that's the reason "hidden" isn't defined ... can't really pronounce
"hsparwed" ... :-)

BTW, the "1.3 Native Developer Update" is available from CATS.  4 disks
(Autodocs, ReadMe's, Includes, and stripped Includes).  $20 (no plastic).

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

jdh@bsu-cs.UUCP (John Hiday) (11/27/88)

In article <d7l2a73t071010S3atQ@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>I read about the "hidden" attribute someplace too (AmigaWorld's series
>on 1.3 maybe ?), but the 1.3 Protect command doesn't support it.

It may not be documented (or used by anything else), but the 1.3 Protect
command will twiddle the hidden bit.  List will show the h bit in the
leftmost protection flag field.  Dir and List don't seem to pay any
attention to it yet though.

1> protect xxx +h
1> list xxx
xxx                           90 h---rwed Today     06:16:33
                                                    ^^^^^^^^
               Sh*t, looks like my 2000's clock bit it again.

--
UUCP  : <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!jdh                 John Hiday
BITNET: 00JDHIDAY@BSUVAX1.BITNET            Ball State Univ Computing Services

wbnsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (William Norris) (11/27/88)

In article <d7l2a73t071010S3atQ@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <999@hub.ucsb.edu>, dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>> The 1.3 manual doesn't list the protection flags, List and
>> protect only admit the existance of 7 (a suspicious number)
>> flags, Hidden noticably missing from the list. So does the
>> hidden bit exist? has it been removed or just "hidden"? If it
>> exists, how do I set it? I want to make all my .info files hidden.
>
>I read about the "hidden" attribute someplace too (AmigaWorld's series
>on 1.3 maybe ?), but the 1.3 Protect command doesn't support it.

Using the Omega 7 version of Workbench, list shows eight bit positions.
The highest is supposed to be for the hidden attribute.  When I issue:
PROTECT <filename> ADD H, protect does in fact set the hidden bit.

>I also checked in my newly received 1.3 includes (thanks, Lauren!), and
>it's not defined in them either ... only the other seven: sparwed (gee,
>that's even pronouncable ... sparwed).

They're not in mine, either.  So I went into libraries/dos.h and added:

#define FIBB_HIDDEN 7
#define FIBF_HIDDEN (1 << FIBB_HIDDEN)

As far as the original intent of the question (making .info files hiddent),
I'm almost finished my ls UNIX equivalent (defaults to NOT listing .info
files and doesn't ignore the hidden bit).

					William B. Norris IV

wbnsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (William Norris)            |    /// Seulement
``It'll be out RSN.''                              |\\ ///  l'Amiga peut
  -- ANY hardware manufacturer/software publisher. | \\//   vous l'offrir.

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (12/04/88)

Kim says you can't pronounce 'hsparwed' but of course you can.  In fact, after
a few drinks you can't avoid it!
Me "can you say 'sparwed'?"
Him "Shure, 'shparwed'"

See? 'shparwed'.  Easy!

Merry Christmas, everyone.
Dana

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (12/04/88)

In article <1527@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, wbnsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (William Norris) writes:
> In article <d7l2a73t071010S3atQ@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>
> >I read about the "hidden" attribute someplace too (AmigaWorld's series
> >on 1.3 maybe ?), but the 1.3 Protect command doesn't support it.
>
> Using the Omega 7 version of Workbench, list shows eight bit positions.
> The highest is supposed to be for the hidden attribute.  When I issue:
> PROTECT <filename> ADD H, protect does in fact set the hidden bit.

I *swear* I tried this out with "Protect" ... I *know* I did, because I got
the "Invalid flag - must be one of SPARWED" message.  And I tried it under
"shell", "Shell", and the "CLI".  They *all* gave me the error msg.

But it certainly does work now.  I can only guess that I must have been
typing "n" instead of "h".  Several times.  Ah well ... I should know better
at 3:30 AM ...

> >I also checked in my newly received 1.3 includes (thanks, Lauren!), and
> >it's not defined in them either ... only the other seven: sparwed (gee,
> >that's even pronouncable ... sparwed).
>
> They're not in mine, either.  So I went into libraries/dos.h and added:
>
> #define FIBB_HIDDEN 7
> #define FIBF_HIDDEN (1 << FIBB_HIDDEN)

I'd really like for CBM to "bless" this.  True, the current "Protect" does
do this, but it isn't documented anywhere I could find.  So the question
for the CATS and/or DOGS is: "is the 'h' bit 'official', or is this a 'keep
your hands off of this bit' situation"?

> As far as the original intent of the question (making .info files hiddent),
> I'm almost finished my ls UNIX equivalent (defaults to NOT listing .info
> files and doesn't ignore the hidden bit).

Funny ... that's exactly what I'm working on, too.  My implementation will
allow the user to specify what is "hidden" via an env variable (default is
to hide .files, info files, and anything with the "h" bit set).

BTW, the "ls" command that comes with Manx (v3.6a) shows a file with the "h"
bit set as a directory (i.e., it uses the dir color).

Another interesting tidbit ... take a look at the protection bits for vd0:
sometime (that's the FileInfoBlock entry for ASDG-RAM:).  It seems to use
bits 0-15 of the fib_Protection longword for something quite different than
the intended use ... the bit settings change significantly by just adding or
deleting an entry in vd0:.  Anyone know what they're using them for (Eric ?)

/kim

--

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (12/04/88)

--
			    Tom Limoncelli
	  Drew University, Madison NJ 07940 -- 201-408-5389

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (12/05/88)

In article <dameBfcNaP1010PUcI.@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

> I'd really like for CBM to "bless" this.  True, the current "Protect" does
> do this, but it isn't documented anywhere I could find.  So the question
> for the CATS and/or DOGS is: "is the 'h' bit 'official', or is this a 'keep
> your hands off of this bit' situation"?
>
> /kim
> UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com

Oh well, the secrets out!  It was going to be a big suprise but you
ruined it.  The H doesn't stand for HIDDEN, it's for HAYNIE.  Get a
program written by Dave Haynie.  Now set that bit on the program and on
the file that you are going to do the operation on.  Now run the
program.  See?  Dave magically appears in your living room.  I
just did it myself.  Hey!  Stay away from my beer!  Hey!  I don't want
to watch that!  Quit changing the channels!  Hey!

Damn!  Does anyone have the patches to RemRad to convert it to
RemDave?  I missed that one in comp.sources.amiga. :-)

-Tom
P.S.  Don't you love when a rumor column in a PC rag tries to predict
what will be in the A3000?  The NeXT machine includes the complete
works of William Shakesphere, right?  Well a very reliable source told
me that the A3000 will have the complete works of Shakesphere's
younger brother Marty.  Now Marty wasn't as famous, but the A3000
isn't going to be as expensive as a NeXT machine.  Don't believe me?
But... but... but... it was in rumor-rag-o-rama...!
--
   Tom Limoncelli   Drew University    Madison NJ    201-408-5389
       tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet          limonce@pilot.njin.net