[comp.sys.amiga] Amiag Specs

dana.holt@raider.MFEE.TN.US (12/02/88)

        I've been reading this Amiga section for awhile now. I am thinking
about getting an Amiga of some kind. I already have an Atari 1040STf and would
like to have an Amiga also. Can someone give me the specs on a 2000,500,and
1000 models. Give me some examples of what you can do with the Amiga's
multitasking..How many things can you do at once? What about the sound? How
much does an Amiga system cost (color)? Thanks for your time and attention..

- Dana Holt     Rt.5 Box 119    Murfreesbor, Tn         37130                 -
-       DATA: 615-896-6254      VOICE: 615-896-5668                           -
- UUCP: Dana_Holt@oraider.FIDONET.ORG                                         -
- ' He Who Shits On The Road Will Meet Flies On His Return '- African Saying

dan-hankins@cup.portal.com (Daniel B Hankins) (12/05/88)

In article <45@raider.MFEE.TN.US> dana.holt@raider.MFEE.TN.US writes:

>       I've been reading this Amiga section for awhile now. I am thinking
>about getting an Amiga of some kind. I already have an Atari 1040STf and
>would like to have an Amiga also. Can someone give me the specs on a
>2000,500,and 1000 models. Give me some examples of what you can do with
>the Amiga's multitasking..How many things can you do at once? What about
>the sound? How much does an Amiga system cost (color)? Thanks for your
>time and attention..

I'll let someone answer the specs question, that's too much work for me :).
An example of something you can do with the Amiga's multitasking is what I
am doing right now:  I am editing this posting in my favorite editor
(MicroGnuEmacs) in one window while simultaneously using VT100 2.8 in
another window to connect to my Usenet access point (Portal).  Two more
windows are running a memory meter/clock and a virus detector.  I have
several more tasks that are running in the background to enhance the
environment in various ways.

If I  wanted to, I could also print a file, doodle with a paint program,
compile some Modula-2 programs, run some Scheme programs, play an adventure
game, copy some files, and display some pictures.

How many things can you do at once?  It isn't a fixed number, except for
CLI processes of which you can have a maximum of 20 (believe me, you are
unlikely to ever need that many (why do I feel like Custer when I say
that? :-))).  It depends on how much memory you have, how many disk drives
you have, whether you have a hard disk, whether you are running on a 68000,
68020 or 68030, and whether you have a math coprocessor.  It also depends
on what kind of response time you want from the system.  There is no
detectable performance degradation while running the nine tasks I have
going right now.

There is no difference in price between a color and non-color Amiga,
because the Amiga has color built-in.  There is a difference in the price
of compatible monitors from color to black-and-white, but I can't imagine
anyone buying a b&w monitor for the Amiga.  There are lots of color
monitors on the market, most not from Commodore.  The Amiga is compatible
with a wide range of commercially available RGB monitors.  One of the best
is supposed to be the NEC Multisync II.  I like my Commodore 1080 (no
longer available) which was about $350.  The current Commodore monitor, the
1084, is similarly priced.

Dan Hankins