[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga/Atari St sales figure

pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) (11/10/88)

Can someone at Commodore provide the latest numbers of Amiga sold
worldwide, in Germany and in U. S.?  Is the Amiga the
best-selling computer in Germany?  Also, anyone knows the number of
Atari ST's in Germany and in the U. S. ?  I am just curious on how
badly the Atari is defeated by Amiga.

Any info is appreciated.

space@sns.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (11/11/88)

In article <710@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP () writes:
>Is the Amiga the
>best-selling computer in Germany?  Also, anyone knows the number of
>Atari ST's in Germany and in the U. S. ?  I am just curious on how
>badly the Atari is defeated by Amiga.

It may astonish you, but not always the best computer also is the best-selling
computer. So defeat has nothing to do with sales figures, or else these
<beep> PCs would be defeating our beloved Amiga.
--
Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!sns!space		BIX: -- no bucks --

Here's looking at you, kid!
		-- the Medusa

Graham@ucl-cs.UUCP (11/16/88)

>Can someone at Commodore provide the latest numbers of Amiga sold
>worldwide, in Germany and in U. S.?  Is the Amiga the
>best-selling computer in Germany?  Also, anyone knows the
>number of Atari ST's in Germany and in the U. S. ?  I am just curious on
>how badly the Atari is defeated by Amiga.

I don't know about worldwide figures but in Great Britain the
figures are around 150,000 ST's and 50-60,000 Amiga's. The ST
market is noticeably more mature than the Amiga market, with a
wider range of good software.

Commodore has never really marketed the Amiga properly in the U.K.
When the A1000 came along it was late and over-priced
getting the machine off to a bad start. The A2000 and A500 are
now selling well (relative to the A1000) and the Amiga market
is starting to achieve a critical mass. Both systems remain
overpriced, however.

While Commodore claims huge sales etc. in Europe, these should
be treated with caution. Many of the machines they sell are
PC's and C64's - not Amigas. Commodore's presence in the U.K.
is less than is some parts of Europe, especially in the PC
market. I read recently that Commodore U.K. hope to sell
140,000 C64's in the Christmas market and this reflects their
main marketing push, with the Amiga going for far fewer sales
at the upper end of the (home) market. I have actually seen a
TV advert for the amiga(on channel 4), which is a hopeful sign.

Graham
grahamr@uk.ac.ucl.cs
Dept. of Computer Science
University College London

schabacker@frocky.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) (11/17/88)

The worldwide Amiga sales should reach one million by the end of '88.
The sales in Germany are around 200000 currently and should reach
300000 easily by xmas.
The Amiga is at least selling better in Germany than any other 68xxx
based system, although the Atari ST line is doing much here better
than in the U.S. Dunno about total ST figures, but my guestimate
would be about the same as the Amy.
As far as I know and see it, the "defeat" of the ST line in Germany
didn't happen and probably never will. There are simply to many ST's
sold here, more of them are doing "real" work than Amigas, and
they're cheaper than an Amy. And some people will ALWAYS go for the
lower price tag instead of superior functionalitiy.

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > decwrl!frambo.dec.com!schabacker OR schabacker@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  CIS: 71001,210 (be brief!), Phone: +49 6150 4151
------------ Snail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.
With Bush and Quayle, what else can fail? :-)

crewman@bucsb.UUCP (11/22/88)

In article <8811171333.AA07749@decwrl.dec.com> schabacker@frocky.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) writes:

>The Amiga is at least selling better in Germany than any other 68xxx
>based system...

But then, later on in the same article:

>As far as I know and see it, the "defeat" of the ST line in Germany
>didn't happen and probably never will. There are simply to many ST's
>sold here, more of them are doing "real" work than Amigas, ...

Obviously you didn't know that the Atari ST is a 68000-based system,
or you wouldn't have made the first statement.  Finally:

>They're cheaper than an Amy. And some people will ALWAYS go for the
>lower price tag instead of superior functionality.

This must be a joke.  A comment about ST functionality from someone who
doesn't even know what kind of system it is.  I wish you could keep your
ignorant commentary to yourself.  I have both systems.  I like both.  At
least I am informed.  You're just begging for a flame war.

                         -- JJS

schabacker@frocky.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) (12/02/88)

[Please send followups via e-mail or direct 'em to NIL:]

[I'm a patient guy, but ignorance and stupidity drive me nuts!]

Look what I found in this newsgroup by "JJS" or "crewman":
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>Subject: Re: Amiga/Atari St sales figure
>
>In article <8811171333.AA07749@decwrl.dec.com> schabacker@frocky.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) writes:
>

>>The Amiga is at least selling better in Germany than any other 68xxx
>>based system...
>>

>But then, later on in the same article:
>

>>As far as I know and see it, the "defeat" of the ST line in Germany
>>didn't happen and probably never will. There are simply to many ST's
>>sold here, more of them are doing "real" work than Amigas, ...
>>

>Obviously you didn't know that the Atari ST is a 68000-based system,
>or you wouldn't have made the first statement.  Finally:

Of course I know that, denso. How about thoroughly reading my posting
over???
To simplify it for you:

1. Amiga is currently the best selling 68xxx machine in Germany.

2. Atari ST's are too widespread and too often used in professional
work to become extinct over night.

>>They're cheaper than an Amy. And some people will ALWAYS go for the
>>lower price tag instead of superior functionality.
>>

>This must be a joke.  A comment about ST functionality from someone who
>doesn't even know what kind of system it is.  I wish you could keep your
>ignorant commentary to yourself.  I have both systems.  I like both.  At
>least I am informed.  You're just begging for a flame war.
>
>                         -- JJS

I DON'T own an Atari ST. But I've seen and used more than you can
shake a stick at. I shall not be the initiator of another "My System
is better than yours" war, but on a PURE technological and OS level,
the Amiga beats the hell out of an ST.
I'll honestly confess that there are superior software packages
in some application areas for the ST.
I also like both systems (in fact anything that hasn't an I*t*l
processor), but I LOVE the Amiga.

So you see, I'm informed after all.
Since all you seem to be begging for is a great deal of embarassment,
you're welcome.

It would be much nicer flaming you if I knew your name, but JJS?
Nah, no fun at all flaming some stupid three letters.

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -
< <   |-<  > decwrl!frambo.dec.com!schabacker OR schabacker@frambo.dec.com
 \ \_ |_/ /  CIS: 71001,210 (be brief!), Phone: +49 6150 4151
------------ Snail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.
Again, sorry for this drivel, but it keeps my psychologist's bill low.

crewman@bucsb.UUCP (12/05/88)

In article <8812021519.AA24321@decwrl.dec.com> schabacker@frocky.dec.com (Tim, posting for C. Balzer) writes:

>I shall not be the initiator of another "My System
>is better than yours" war, but on a PURE technological and OS level,
>the Amiga beats the hell out of an ST.

That is a contradictory statement, as well as a false one.  On a REALLY
PURE technological level, the Amiga and the ST are the same computer.
Think about it.  On an OS level, superiority is debatable and based on
opinion.  I, for example, loathe VMS and love Unix, while some people
feel the opposite.

>I'll honestly confess that there are superior software packages
>in some application areas for the ST.
>I also like both systems (in fact anything that hasn't an I*t*l
>processor), but I LOVE the Amiga.

Agreed, especially about Intel.

>It would be much nicer flaming you if I knew your name, but JJS?
>Nah, no fun at all flaming some stupid three letters.

If flaming is what you consider fun, I feel sorry for you.

		-- JJS

space@sns.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (12/07/88)

In article <2261@bucsb.UUCP> crewman@bucsb.bu.edu (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
>On a REALLY
>PURE technological level, the Amiga and the ST are the same computer.

I hope for you that you don't mean that. The ST is a 68000 with just the
necessary items around it to make up a full computer. No originality.
The effect is that the CPU even has to twiddle the screen bits one by one.
I will not even mention sound here, because the ST has nothing in this
area worth mentioning. (The only thing its sound processor is good for is
that key click which is necessary because you never know if that rubber
keyboard has accepted your key stroke or not.)
BTW, I've first owned an ST and about half a year ago I finally upgraded to
an Amiga. A few weeks ago I finally managed to sell my ST. I wasn't able
to work on it for more than 5 minutes any more without trying to click
something back and start something else and ... So I really DO know what
I'm talking about.