[comp.sys.amiga] No Longer Abel To Order

Ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca (Ernie Gorrie) (11/30/88)

	I'm so fed up with Abel Supply Inc., that I wasn't going to
bother to mention their name again.

	After I posted this message on a local BBS (MindLink (604)
533-2312), however, I received enough recommendations that I
post it here and on CI$ that I decided to give it one more
comment.

        On the Labour Day weekend, I ordered a number of pieces
of software from Able.  They included DP II and DP Art disks.  I
figured these are pretty normal stock items for Amiga software
and shouldn't be a big deal.

        Two weeks later I didn't have them, so I called again.
"They're on their way soon.  Sorry, we were just temporarily out
of stock.  Blah, blah, blah."

        A week later no DP products.  Another phone call.
"Oop

sirius@cup.portal.com (Mike Sirius Stilson) (12/01/88)

Speaking of Abel's quick turnaround..

On 10/14 I ordered Enhancer 1.3 and a CLtd SCSI/Host ctrlr for my 1000.
Well, I expected a delay on the 1.3 sincye my local dealer wasn't even
expecting to get a shipment for 3 more weeks.  Well.. fine.  I can live with
a delay.
(muffled laughter at this point)
Well I got the 1.3 package about 3 weeks later.  No problem.  I had called
them about a week earlier and they told me the stuff was ordered.
Well. 1.3 got here and there was a sheet saying "These are backordered"..
"Ship Date"..
The SCSI controller was on there, listed to ship on 11/15
Ok.. fine.  I have a solid date.
11/22 I call and say "Umm.. where is it?"  Oh, still on backorder.. should
be another week.  Another week, and it's "Oh, should be one more week."

Abel is a great place to order from.  Their prices are near to unbeatable for
me.  Until now, I had never had any problem with them..  But then, I had
always ordered items that were in stock.  So I guess the rule for ordering
from them is to call and ask if they're in stock first.

--

Mike "Still .signature-less on Portal" Stilson

UUCP: ...{allegra,cadre}!pitt!idis!eklektik!mike
      ...{ucbvax!uunet,sun!portal}!cup.portal.com!sirius

paquette@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (12/03/88)

 In article <11956@cup.portal.com>, sirius@cup.portal.com (Mike Sirius Stilson) writes:
 > Speaking of Abel's quick turnaround..
 >
 > On 10/14 I ordered Enhancer 1.3 and a CLtd SCSI/Host ctrlr for my 1000.
 > Well, I expected a delay on the 1.3 sincye my local dealer wasn't even
 > expecting to get a shipment for 3 more weeks.  Well.. fine.  I can live with
 > a delay.
 > (muffled laughter at this point)
 > Well I got the 1.3 package about 3 weeks later.  No problem.  I had called
 > them about a week earlier and they told me the stuff was ordered.
 > Well. 1.3 got here and there was a sheet saying "These are backordered"..
 > "Ship Date"..
 > The SCSI controller was on there, listed to ship on 11/15
 > Ok.. fine.  I have a solid date.
 > 11/22 I call and say "Umm.. where is it?"  Oh, still on backorder.. should
 > be another week.  Another week, and it's "Oh, should be one more week."
 >
 > Abel is a great place to order from.  Their prices are near to unbeatable for
 > me.  Until now, I had never had any problem with them..  But then, I had
 > always ordered items that were in stock.  So I guess the rule for ordering
 > from them is to call and ask if they're in stock first.
 >
 > --
 >
 > Mike "Still .signature-less on Portal" Stilson
 >
 > UUCP: ...{allegra,cadre}!pitt!idis!eklektik!mike
 >       ...{ucbvax!uunet,sun!portal}!cup.portal.com!sirius

     I guess you did not bother to read my past posting of Mail Order Blues..
If you had you would have known not to order from Abel and to ASK IF THE ITEM
IS IN STOCK BEFORE YOU ORDER....  I told you so....

     Trev
   P.S. I STILL have not heard anything from Abel about the $1000 they owe me.
The District Attorney in Sevierville siad there was nothing that they could
do about it. The case is more 'civil' then 'criminal'. I have since then gotten
a lawyer and hope this will get Abel's attention. I am sick and tired of them
treating their customers like fourth rate citizens.

    Trev
Trevor Paquette - GraphicsLand, U of Calgary[Home of The Great Train Rubbery]
UUCP: ...!{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!paquette        ICBM:51 03 N/114 05 W
 Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter * I got the hippy hippy shake

space@sns.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (12/05/88)

In article <11956@cup.portal.com> sirius@cup.portal.com (Mike Sirius Stilson) writes:
>Abel is a great place to order from.  Their prices are near to unbeatable for
>me.  Until now, I had never had any problem with them..  But then, I had
>always ordered items that were in stock.  So I guess the rule for ordering
>from them is to call and ask if they're in stock first.

I think you're making a mistake there. Abel's policy seems to be selling only
those items that bring in lotsa cash. If you keep with Abel for mass articles
and buy everything else from local dealers you are supporting this (IMHO) wrong
behaviour.
You should make up your mind for one dealer and then stick with him for items
like floppies, printer tapes and so on. How else is he to survive? Support
dealers with good support, I say.
--
Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!sns!space		BIX: -- no bucks --

Here's looking at you, kid!
		-- the Medusa

sirius@cup.portal.com (Mike Sirius Stilson) (12/07/88)

Lars Soltau writes in response to me:
>In article <11956@cup.portal.com> sirius@cup.portal.com (Mike Sirius Stilson) writes:
>>Abel is a great place to order from.  Their prices are near to unbeatable for
>>me.  Until now, I had never had any problem with them..  But then, I had
>>always ordered items that were in stock.  So I guess the rule for ordering
>>from them is to call and ask if they're in stock first.
>
>I think you're making a mistake there. Abel's policy seems to be selling only
>those items that bring in lotsa cash. If you keep with Abel for mass articles
>and buy everything else from local dealers you are supporting this (IMHO) wrong
>behavior.

This is true.. they don't carry much of anything in the "hard-to-get" area,
or the ones that don't bring them piles of money.
As a side note to this.. My controller arrived today.  Pretty good turnaround
time.  ordered 10/14 arrives 12/6.  The biggest gripe is that, after many many
phone calls, I not once got a "We're sorry it's taking so long".. the most I
got was a "Well, it's still at the distributor, I don't know why it isn't here
yet" (That was the first call around 11/1.)

>You should make up your mind for one dealer and then stick with him for items
>like floppies, printer tapes and so on. How else is he to survive? Support
>dealers with good support, I say.

Well, for floopies, paper, and ribbons I do.. MEI has good prices and I've
never had any problems with one of their disks.  But otherwise, for Amiga
specific products, the nearest dealer is an hour away (with light traffic!)
Doesn't like to special order stuff for us, and the only Amiga (THey also do
C=, Apple, and a little IBM) hardware they have is a couple GenLocks, and some
Machines there just to run demos.  But they ARE good about software (although
I don't think they've gotten in any 1.3 pkgs yet :)

>Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!sns!space		BIX: -- no bucks --

Mike "Still .signature-less" Stilson

UUCP: {ucbvax!uunet,sun!portal}!cup.portal.com!sirius
  or  {allegra,cadre}!pitt!idis!eklektik!mike