[comp.sys.amiga] Microbotics Stardrive startup query

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (12/04/88)

Well, I finally assembled the cable for my hard disk yesterday, and
I've spent last night and some part of today setting up shop.  Having
a hard disk is truly a luxury; the feel of my computer has changed
from "inconvenient, but usable" to "baby workstation".

Anyhow, I'm having a small problem with my startup-sequence.  The
startup-sequence on my boot disk currently looks like the following:

c:SetPatch >NIL:
Echo "A500/A2000 Workbench disk.  Release 1.3 version 34.20*N
Binddrivers
mount dh0:
mount dh1:
defdisk dh0:
MakeDir RAM:t
Assign T: RAM:t
Execute S:Startup-Sequence

the first two lines of dh0:s/startup-sequence are:

Fastmode dh0:
Fastmode dh1:

which put the Microbotics controller into "fastmode".  Trouble is,
the Fastmode commands fail with error code 31 when executed from the
startup-sequence.  They work just fine when I type them at a CLI
prompt, however.

Could a Microbotics maven help me here?  For reference, the drive is
a Seagate ST-157N, mountlist entries below (feel free to correct me
if any of the below paramaters are incorrect -- a lot of it was put
together through guesswork and plaigarism, seeing how Microbotics
didn't see fit to adequately document their hardware and software):

DH0:
    Device = StarDrive.device
    Priority = 0
    Unit = 0
    Flags = 0
    Surfaces = 1
    BlocksPerTrack = 155
    Reserved = 2
    Interleave = 0
    LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 229
    Buffers = 17
    BufMemType = 0
    GlobVec = 1
    FileSystem = L:FastFileSystem
    DosType = 0x444F5301
#

DH1:
    Device = StarDrive.device
    Priority = 0
    Unit = 0
    Flags = 0
    Surfaces = 1
    BlocksPerTrack = 155
    Reserved = 2
    Interleave = 0
    LowCyl = 230 ; HighCyl = 614
    Buffers = 17
    BufMemType = 0
    GlobVec = 1
    FileSystem = L:FastFileSystem
    DosType = 0x444F5301
#

HELPFUL HINT for those of you constructing your own Mountlists:  The
file names for Device=, Handler=, and FileSystem= are CASE SENSITIVE.
My mountlist didn't work when "Device = stardrive.device" or
"FileSystem = l:FastFileSystem".  Why are things case sensitive here
when they aren't in the rest of AmigaDOS?

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb

"my friends say she's a dumb blonde, but they don't know she dyes her hair"

aimania@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Walter Rothe) (12/05/88)

>which put the Microbotics controller into "fastmode".  Trouble is,
>the Fastmode commands fail with error code 31 when executed from the
>startup-sequence.  They work just fine when I type them at a CLI
>prompt, however.

I had the same problem you did and got around it by changing the Failat
before executing the Fastmode command. I changed it to Failat 40. Then
changed it back after doing the Fastmode command. I suspect it doesnt
return status correctly.

                                 Walter Rothe
                                 aimania@killer

--
Walter Rothe at the UNIX(Tm) Connection, Dallas, Tx
UUCP: {rutgers}!smu.killer.aimania

me128-aw@kepler.Berkeley.EDU (me128 student) (12/06/88)

In article <EXa5i-y00VsfEAq5pZ@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>Anyhow, I'm having a small problem with my startup-sequence.  The
>startup-sequence on my boot disk currently looks like the following:
>
>the first two lines of dh0:s/startup-sequence are:
>
>Fastmode dh0:
>Fastmode dh1:
>
>which put the Microbotics controller into "fastmode".  Trouble is,
>the Fastmode commands fail with error code 31 when executed from the
>startup-sequence.  They work just fine when I type them at a CLI
>prompt, however.

I have a stardrive hooked up to my st225n.  I use fastmode with no problems.
My call is:
     FastMode dh0: read write
Are the read and write parameters necessary?  Maybe that's your problem.
Or maybe you should just set
     Fault 32
I set the fail limit up for another reason, but I dont recall if its before
or after the fastmode call.  I'm not on Amy now, (sounds funny, don't it) so
I can't see.  I seem to recall having a similar problem.

Vincent H. Lee
"Demented and sad, but social" - The breakfast club
(^ Yeah, I show my age by what quotes I choose, don't I)

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (12/06/88)

In article <EXa5i-y00VsfEAq5pZ@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>DH0:
>    Device = StarDrive.device
>    Priority = 0
>    Unit = 0
>    Flags = 0
>    Surfaces = 1
>    BlocksPerTrack = 155
>    Reserved = 2
>    Interleave = 0
>    LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 229
>    Buffers = 17
>    BufMemType = 0
>    GlobVec = 1
>    FileSystem = L:FastFileSystem
>    DosType = 0x444F5301
>#
>
>DH1:
>    Device = StarDrive.device
>    Priority = 0
>    Unit = 0
>    Flags = 0
>    Surfaces = 1
>    BlocksPerTrack = 155
>    Reserved = 2
>    Interleave = 0
>    LowCyl = 230 ; HighCyl = 614
>    Buffers = 17
>    BufMemType = 0
>    GlobVec = 1
>    FileSystem = L:FastFileSystem
>    DosType = 0x444F5301
>#

Instead of running fastmode you cans ave a lot of time (and possibly agravation)
by doing what I have done. The trick is to place the following in place of your
Flags = 0 in the mountlist. Make it Flags = 12336. THis sets fastmode on via
the mountlist. Other than that the first impression of the mountlist is that it
oughta work...

>HELPFUL HINT for those of you constructing your own Mountlists:  The
>file names for Device=, Handler=, and FileSystem= are CASE SENSITIVE.
>My mountlist didn't work when "Device = stardrive.device" or
>"FileSystem = l:FastFileSystem".  Why are things case sensitive here
>when they aren't in the rest of AmigaDOS?

Damifino. Ask the CATS folks. It IS kinda strange. Call it the argh factor of
device drivers.
>Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (12/07/88)

In article <EXa5i-y00VsfEAq5pZ@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>I'm having a small problem with my startup-sequence.
>the first two lines of dh0:s/startup-sequence are:
>
>Fastmode dh0:
>Fastmode dh1:

I don't bother using the Fastmode commands, but simply use a line like

	Flags = 0x3030

for each DH in my mountlist; this has the same effect.

-scott