[comp.sys.amiga] A1020

martens@cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (11/30/88)

The consensus among mail order folks I talked to today is that Commodore
has discontinued the A1020 5.25" drive.  Is this true?  Will there be
another production run in the near future?  Does anyone know of anyplace
I can lay my hands on one, new or used?  Have there been any problems
with them, other than availability?  Thanks.  I know somebody was having
trouble within the last few days, but no responses were posted, so I'm
pretty much in the dark here.

-- Jeff

martens@cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (11/30/88)

If it matters, I have an A1000, autumn 1986 vintage.

-- Jeff

msiskin@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (12/01/88)

In article <28696@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> martens@cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) writes:

>The consensus among mail order folks I talked to today is that Commodore
>has discontinued the A1020 5.25" drive.  Is this true?  Will there be
>another production run in the near future?  Does anyone know of anyplace
>I can lay my hands on one, new or used?  Have there been any problems
>with them, other than availability?  Thanks.  I know somebody was having
>trouble within the last few days, but no responses were posted, so I'm
>pretty much in the dark here.
>
>-- Jeff
Sorry to say this but Commodore announced to Dealers a while ago that
They were discontinuing the A1020 and the C128.  I saw the notice myself.
Guess you have to start searching the used market or make your own drive.
It isn't that hard to do from an inexpensive IBM drive and a few parts.
                      MSiskin@shogun.cc.umich.edu

they were disc

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (12/02/88)

>Sorry to say this but Commodore announced to Dealers a while ago that
>They were discontinuing the A1020 and the C128.  I saw the notice myself.

They are discontinuing the 128??? What about the 64??

My 128 makes a good device controller. (X-10).

Seems to me they would ax the 64 before the 128. Is there a replacement
for the 128? (C256??)

Or will there not be any C64 compatible machines?

I haven't seen "Mule" for the Amiga. (Nice game by the way!)

Dave (Just wonderin') S.

In article <2030127@hpcilzb.HP.COM> daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:
>I haven't seen "Mule" for the Amiga. (Nice game by the way!)

	We approached EA with the intention of writing M.U.L.E. for the
Amiga.  They wanted nothing to do with it, largely because it wasn't a big
seller when it was originally released.

	EA, being a company interested in making money like any other
American company, doesn't publish stuff it thinks won't make money.  So they
bounced our M.U.L.E. proposal.  Now the next logical question is, why didn't
they sell us the publishing rights to M.U.L.E. and let us sink or swim on
our own?  Dunno.

	This is a semi-sore spot with me, since I went to no insignificant
trouble to write a flashy demo using their logo that should have impressed
them.  From what I can tell, they yawned at it.  Oh well.

	The upshot is that it is highly improbable that you will ever see
M.U.L.E. for the Amiga.  Unfortunate, really...

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (12/07/88)

Leo,

WOW!! I'm glad people know about this game.

>	We approached EA with the intention of writing M.U.L.E. for the
>Amiga.  They wanted nothing to do with it, largely because it wasn't a big
>seller when it was originally released.

Humm That's strange -- it can be a very addicting game.

>bounced our M.U.L.E. proposal.  Now the next logical question is, why didn't
>they sell us the publishing rights to M.U.L.E. and let us sink or swim on
>our own?  Dunno.

Maybe you could try this approach again.

>	The upshot is that it is highly improbable that you will ever see
>M.U.L.E. for the Amiga.  Unfortunate, really...

That's really too bad!!

Dave S.

billh@tekig4.TEK.COM (William Hansen) (12/08/88)

In article <7835@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <2030127@hpcilzb.HP.COM> daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:
>>I haven't seen "Mule" for the Amiga. (Nice game by the way!)
>	We approached EA with the intention of writing M.U.L.E. for the
>Amiga.  They wanted nothing to do with it, largely because it wasn't a big
>seller when it was originally released.

You might try dropping EA a line saying you would like to see a M.U.L.E.
port for the Amiga. When I ordered a software upgrade from them I told
them how much I liked my old Apple II version of "Reach for the Stars" and
that I would like to see an Amiga version. They recently came out with one.
(I highly recommend it for strategy game lovers, and it's NOT copy protected.)
It can't hurt, and your vote maybe the one to convince them.

						Bill Hansen