[comp.sys.amiga] IFF to Sun Raster Converter

zlhb0a@apctrc.uucp (Lawrence H. Brown) (12/03/88)

The iff2sun program recently posted doesn't work well for me.

I am getting this error:

	Compression is messed.: Error 0

over and over and over and....

My first guess is that the iff files are coming back mundged,
and I need to try fresh again with a iff image.

I am using kermit to transfer the file, binary mode,
directly between the amiga and the sun.

For more info, I tried the following iff files

Mickey MOuse (wizard)
sitting duck (you know, the one that was a poster)
Star_destroyer (whoops! said it was a HAM)
King Tut  (can you say stock image?)

Now, also to clarify, the image retains just enough
structure that I can make out what it was supposed to be,
from within the garbage...

Can someone either:

	a) send me a fixed iff2sun.c
	b) send me a iff file, uuencoded o course
	c) splain to me how to get uuencode to create a file.
		type uuencode you get:
			uuencode [infile] <outfile>
		so like a happy camper, I type (all in ram)
			uuencode mickey.iff mickey.uu
		and it proceeds to spit the uucode on the screen,
		with no file created.. AAARAAGH!
	d) send me a rasterfile of KingTut or Mickey :-)

Humph!  I had such great hopes...maybe the "new improved
version"  will be out soon!

    // You've heard of CATS, DOGS, & GOATS?  *NOW* TRY GERBILS!
   //   "Gladly Educating Real Beginners In Latest Software!"
\\//   Lawrence H. Brown       USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!zlhb0a
 \/      (918-660-4389) USmail: 7325 E. 50th, Tulsa, OK 74145

Drool@cup.portal.com (Paul James Coene) (12/05/88)

In some recent article, Lawrence H. Brown said:

<The iff2sun program recently posted doesn't work well for me.
<
<I am getting this error:
<
<	Compression is messed.: Error 0
<
<over and over and over and....
<
<...
<
<
<I am using kermit to transfer the file, binary mode,
<directly between the amiga and the sun.

Well Lawrence, I have the same problem while an associate of mine has had
no problems.  I see that you and I both used kermit, this may be the problem.  I
don't think my associate used kermit.  Try another protocol, although I'd
hate to think kermit untrustable.

                               <: Drool :>

thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) (12/07/88)

In article <12130@cup.portal.com>, Drool@cup.portal.com (Paul James Coene) writes:
> In some recent article, Lawrence H. Brown said:
>
> <The iff2sun program recently posted doesn't work well for me.
> <I am getting this error:
> <	Compression is messed.: Error 0
> <over and over and over and....
> <
> <I am using kermit to transfer the file, binary mode,
> <directly between the amiga and the sun.
>
> Well Lawrence, I have the same problem while an associate of mine has had
> no problems.  I see that you and I both used kermit, this may be the problem.  I
> hate to think kermit untrustable.
>                                <: Drool :>

Steve and I are  aware of this problem but have not yet tracked it down.
The original test images we ran iff2sun on were loaded onto the sun
from an Amiga running vt100 with kermit. However, I tried to transfer
these IFF files to another Sun station both with kermit and using uuencode
with email. Both methods gave me the 'compression messed error'.
We are looking into it and will keep you posted.
|      Mark Thompson                                                     |
|      decvax!savax!thompson       Designing high performance graphics   |
|      (603)885-9229               silicon today for a better tomorrow.  |

bcorrie@uvicctr.UUCP (Brian Corrie) (12/08/88)

I'm looking for the reverse process. I have pictures created
by a ray tracer on the suns, and want to convert them to IFF
files so I can transfer them to my amiga.

Can anyone out there give me pointers in this direction. My
format for the files on the suns is a sun rasterfile, but this
could be flexible to a degree. Ideally, I would like to see some
code to do the straight transfer for me. The sun rasterfiles are
8 bits deep per pixel ( or 24 if there is an ambitous program out
there ).

My present solution is to transfer the files to DBW Render format
and to use ray2 to get an IFF file ( its a hack ). The results aren't
too bad, but I have some bits reversed somewhere, so the picture
comes out kinda screwy. You can see what it is, but it just don't look
quite right. I don't want to spend any more time with it cause it
ain't all that important right now. ( Exams etc. )

Can anyone out there stop me from reinventing the wheel, or do I
have to muddle with this some more.

I've heard a couple of the amiga ray tracers have the ability to
convert 24 bit images to iff files. is any of this stuff PD.

Thanks for any help you can give me folks.....

	Brian

--
  Brian Corrie, University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C., Canada

  Under the most rigourously controlled conditions of pressure,
  temperature, volume, humidity and other variables, the organism
  will do as it damn well pleases.

  Don't worry, I know nothing of what I babble about.......