[comp.sys.amiga] Multiple commands on a CLI line

crooks@ingr.UUCP (Steve Crooks) (11/30/88)

Is there a way issue more than one command on a line line?  I want
to have aliases that do more than one thing (such as cd to a certain
place and then run a program).  Before 1.3, I was using the Dillon/Drew
shell which allowed commands to be separated with semicolons.  Now that
1.3 has an "official" shell, I thought I'd give it a shot, but I need
those multiple commands!

I vaguely remember something a few months ago about running processes in
serial, but I didn't bother to write it down (I didn't need to know it
then).

Any help is appreciated.

--
--Steve Crooks				...uunet!ingr!crooks!crooks

dillon@ELYSIUM.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (12/02/88)

:Hmm....  I started using Matt's shell (version 2.10 I think, the one
:recently posted to comp.sources.matt-dillon) *after* I got 1.3 running.  I
:use the shell along with REZ, although given the preponderance of built-in
:commands in the shell I don't have to REZ very many things.
:
:I thought about using the 1.3 Shell, but Matt's shell gives me a couple of
:ultra-key features, like * wildcards, fast built-in commands (including a
:'mv' command which does exactly what I *want* it to do) and local shell
:variables to go along with the global 1.3 environmental variables (Matt: any
:reason you've got SETENV but not GETENV?  INCENV and DECENV might also be
:useful), a combination I've been able to make good use of (My shells keep
:track of they're own garbage using local variables, and communicate with
:other shells via the ENV: variables).  Plus, it can talk IPC, which I'll make
:use of as soon as I get Dmouse 1.11.

	No need for a GETENV() call, since enviroment variables are in
the $variable domain.  i.e., echo $EnviroVarName.  This is the 'GetEnv'.
The way $varname works is that it first searches the internal (local)
variables, then the enviroment variables.  The local var search is case
sensitive while the enviroment variable search is not.

	(1) $var local?
	(2) $var in enviroment?

	Also, note that alias's are also searched for in ENV: ... the
command searching works like this:

	(1) local alias?
	(2) Enviroment variable-alias?
	(3) Internal command?
	(4) External command?

:So: is there any really good reason to use the AmigaDOS shell instead of
:Matt's?

	Well, the AmigaDOS shell can be made resident while mine cannot.
There are probably some other minor compatibility problems (like the
one people found with SPEAK:) but apart from that there is no reason.
Well .. Execute Scripts and most script related BCPL commands are not
supported by my shell, but for those you can just RUN them or spawn a
CLI to handle it.

	Also, please make a distinction between my shell and Steve Drew's
spinoff.  The only *big* difference is that Steve added console line
editing while I didn't (I just use ConMan).

:Thanks for the great software, Matt!

	Welcome!

:..- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...
:|  Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     |    This mind intentionally   |
:|  AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com |          left blank          |
:..- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...
:

	     .		o
      .
 .
//					  O

					-Matt\|/
					      *
Oh Foo, missed again.

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (12/06/88)

In article <8812011846.AA04769@elysium.berkeley.edu> dillon@ELYSIUM.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	Also, note that alias's are also searched for in ENV: ... the
>command searching works like this:
>
>	(1) local alias?
>	(2) Enviroment variable-alias?
>	(3) Internal command?
>	(4) External command?

Excuse me if I'm misunderstanding this, but isn't that a big mistake?
For example, the "less" program reads an environment variable called
"LESS" to get default options.  Will setting ENV:LESS prevent the
"less" program from running?  Perhaps you can play tricks taking
advantage of the fact that case is significant in one case and not
in the other, but that sounds awfully sleazy!
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (12/07/88)

: ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) Writes:
:In article <8812011846.AA04769@elysium.berkeley.edu> dillon@ELYSIUM.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>	Also, note that alias's are also searched for in ENV: ... the
:>command searching works like this:
:>
:>	(1) local alias?
:>	(2) Enviroment variable-alias?
:>	(3) Internal command?
:>	(4) External command?
:
:Excuse me if I'm misunderstanding this, but isn't that a big mistake?
:For example, the "less" program reads an environment variable called
:"LESS" to get default options.  Will setting ENV:LESS prevent the
:"less" program from running?  Perhaps you can play tricks taking
:advantage of the fact that case is significant in one case and not
:in the other, but that sounds awfully sleazy!

        Hmmm... you have a point there.  Maybe I should force aliases
in the enviroment to be named something else, like : alias_<name> instead
of just <name>.

				-Matt

charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (12/08/88)

>        Hmmm... you have a point there.  Maybe I should force aliases
> in the enviroment to be named something else, like : alias_<name> instead
> of just <name>.
>				-Matt

How about alias/<name>?
--