[comp.sys.amiga] Kickstart-ROM and tar

AB100%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/06/88)

A friend of mine has the following question:

Hi, folks.
I have been feeding my Amiga 1000 with its beloved Kickstart Disk for ages
now.
Does any one know how to add Kickstart-ROMS to the expansion port of the
A1000 ? Is it as easy as just putting the ROMS on a proper board with address
and data bus buffers and giving them a chip-select signal at $FC0000 ?
Or do I have to patch the contents of Kickstart somewhere ?

Thanks, Uwe.

Another question:

       Has anyone ported the pd-tar program to the amiga? It is used on
       the Atari ST and on several UN*X-Machines. It archives whole
       directory trees in one file. Then this file can be compressed with
       compress. Then the compression rate is much higher than using arc or
       zoo.

Thanks, Ortwin
.
AB100@DK0RRZK0.bitnet

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (12/08/88)

In Message <5812@louie.udel.EDU>, AB100%DK0RRZK0.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>Hi, folks.
>I have been feeding my Amiga 1000 with its beloved Kickstart Disk for ages
>now.
>Does any one know how to add Kickstart-ROMS to the expansion port of the
>A1000 ? Is it as easy as just putting the ROMS on a proper board with address
>and data bus buffers and giving them a chip-select signal at $FC0000 ?
>Or do I have to patch the contents of Kickstart somewhere ?

  In the "2ND ANNUAL AMIGA DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE NOTES" (available from CATS)
  there is a section on how to modify a A1000 to use KickStart ROMs. And also
  the info on how to make those ROMs.

>       Has anyone ported the pd-tar program to the amiga? It is used on
>       the Atari ST and on several UN*X-Machines. It archives whole
>       directory trees in one file. Then this file can be compressed with
>       compress. Then the compression rate is much higher than using arc or
>       zoo.

  I didnt write it, but I do have a TAR commmand for AmigaDOS. It works very
  well and has served me both to and from Ultrix tar files. E-Mail me if you
  want a uuencoded copy.

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

  Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691