[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Power supplies

DAVEA%CERNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (David Almond) (12/08/88)

I sent this question out to you wise people but got no response.
Second time lucky..

As a computer enthusiast I would like to get an Amiga 500 or 2000
but before I do so I would like the answer to one basic question

In Europe they use a 220 v power supply and in my home country, England
they use a 240 v power supply. If I want to take my Swiss spec Amiga back
to England how much pain is going to cause to change the power unit.

Is it just the transformer that powers the unit or would there have to be
chip changes

I would be grateful for any pointers

Davea at Cernvm.ch

                            " Bounce damn you bouce .........."

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (12/08/88)

In article <5865@louie.udel.EDU> DAVEA%CERNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (David Almond) writes:
>In Europe they use a 220 v power supply and in my home country, England
>they use a 240 v power supply. If I want to take my Swiss spec Amiga back
>to England how much pain is going to cause to change the power unit.

In the manual that comes with the Amiga, there is a section of Appendix A
titled "Amiga 2000 Technical Specifications".  It says:

	Power:	U.S.: 110 Volts/60 Hz
		International: 220-240 Volts/50 Hz

That's the wonderful thing about modern switching power supplies.  They can
operate with any voltage between 220 and 240 (and sometimes more).  Unlike
older style power supplies, there is no need to change taps on a transformer
or adjust any regulators.  As far as I can tell, there is no "Swiss Spec",
all non-USA Amigas are the same.
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET:(Real Soon Now)   Amiga Hacker   PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) (12/08/88)

In article <5865@louie.udel.EDU>, DAVEA%CERNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (David Almond) writes:

> As a computer enthusiast I would like to get an Amiga 500 or 2000
> but before I do so I would like the answer to one basic question
>
> In Europe they use a 220 v power supply and in my home country, England
> they use a 240 v power supply. If I want to take my Swiss spec Amiga back
> to England how much pain is going to cause to change the power unit.
>
> Is it just the transformer that powers the unit or would there have to be
> chip changes

I doubt that you will even need a transformer, for all intents and purposes,
the 20V difference doesn't matter. I also think the frequency (50Hz) is the
same for both countries.

I went to school in London for two years and we refered to the voltage as both
220 and 240V.

I may be wrong, but if I were in your situation, I would use it in England.

|Derek Lee-Wo, Health Systems International, New Haven, CT 06511.             |
|E-mail address :- ...!harvard!yale!hsi!derek. Phone :- (203)777-3125.        |