[comp.sys.amiga] df1: vs df2:

jdp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Jim Pritchett) (12/04/88)

     There have been several questions lately about how to get programs that
expect df1: to work when used with an A2000 (which has df0: and df2:, but no
df1:.)  I had a similar problem with my old A1000 single drive system before
I upgraded to the A2000.  I discovered with the aid of the net (either this
one or FidoNet) that if you DON'T have a device df1:, you can ASSIGN df1: to
any valid directory.  In this case, most programs will NOT know the difference.
I used this trick to make disksalv work to a directory on my RAM: device.  (I
had 2.5 Meg of RAM.)  I don't have any IBM stuff, so I can't try it, but it
may work in that case also.  Try it and let us know if it works for you, BUT
as always, make backups FIRST!!!

                           I hope that this helps,

                                                   Jim Pritchett
                                                   killer!gtmvax!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (12/05/88)

In article <6310@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> jdp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Jim Pritchett) writes:

>     There have been several questions lately about how to get programs that
>expect df1: to work when used with an A2000 (which has df0: and df2:, but no
>df1:.)

  If there is an entry in devs/mountlist that has the name DF1: but unit=2 and
you say "MOUNT DF1:", then all references to DF1: will go to the external
floppy.  (This is easier than changing the jumper on the motherboard that says
DF1 is external.)

  The mountlist for AmigaDOS 1.3 is already set up - just add the MOUNT
command to your startup-sequence.  For AmigaDOS 1.2, just take the existing
mountlist, remove the "/*" before DF1 and "*/" after the "#", change UNIT=
to 2, and change HIGHCYL= to 9.
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

In article <290@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) writes:
> For AmigaDOS 1.2, just take the existing
>mountlist, remove the "/*" before DF1 and "*/" after the "#", change UNIT=
>to 2, and change HIGHCYL= to 9.

That used to say "HighCyl = 79" before line noise changed it.
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

Ata@radc-multics.arpa (John G. Ata) (12/08/88)

I used the DF1:  mountlist entry provided in 1.3.  It had several
interesting side effects.  For one, if you took out a disk out of the
external drive, optionally replacing another disk, only df1:  would know
about it, df2 would still think it was there.  You can verify this with
the info command.  If you then tried to reference df2:  you would get a
requestor.  Repeating this a number of times would sometimes cause a
system crash.  I stopped mounting df1:  for this reason.  It appears to
me that having two different devices go to the same physical unit can
cause problems.  Can someone else try this and verify this?

                    John G. Ata