[comp.sys.amiga] Digi-View needs special gender changer

jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) (12/02/88)

In article <12595@srcsip.UUCP> carpent@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd P. Carpenter) writes:
>3)  I got Digi-view for some fun.    I didn't want to spend $22.00 on their
>  gender bender, so I just hooked up a normal cable gender bender (to convert
>  from A500 to A2000).  Does anyone know it you can use this with
>  output from a VCR (RCA output) or do you really need the camera (I tried, but
>  all I get is "video signal not present").

A straight gender changer will NOT work.  The Amiga 1000 provides +5V, NC,
and RESET on pins 23, 24, and 25 respectively.  The Amiga 2000 provides
these signals on pins 14, 15, and 16 respectively.  Therefore you are not
supplying plus five volts to the DigiView device.

If your VCR has a rock-solid freeze frame, you can do B&W digitizing (16
shades of gray).  To do color, you have to have the camera and color
filter.  That's because DigiView digitizes RGB as 3 monochrome exposures.
A VCR cannot provide red-only, green-only, or blue-only signals.
| TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
| INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

ruslan@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (12/04/88)

In article <285@antares.UUCP>, jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) writes:
> In article <12595@srcsip.UUCP> carpent@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd P. Carpenter) writes:
> >3)  I got Digi-view for some fun.    I didn't want to spend $22.00 on their
[text on gender changing and power reqs. deleted]

> If your VCR has a rock-solid freeze frame, you can do B&W digitizing (16
> shades of gray).  To do color, you have to have the camera and color
> filter.  That's because DigiView digitizes RGB as 3 monochrome exposures.
> A VCR cannot provide red-only, green-only, or blue-only signals.
> | TYMNET:JMS@F29  CA:"POPJ P,"  UUCP:{ames|pyramid}oliveb!tymix!antares!jms  |
> | INTERNET: (Office-1.ARPA is no more)      PHONE:Joe Smith @ (408)922-6220  |

If you get the (Sunrize Industries) color splitter (which is now
shipping for ~$100 or less) you can take a color signal from a
VCR or camera and scan it in RGB terms.  (Still 3 passes, a switch
on the box for Digiview owners.)  It was made for Perfect Vision,
seems to work for Digiview, although the docs mention that it
may not get along with some VCRs.  (I like it... We're using it
with Digiview and a NEC VCR with digital freeze.)

One thing I'd like - a hack to make the color splitter think
it's a Digi-Droid, controllable through Digiview's software.
(Through a DB9 on the back of the color splitter box, the
Perfect Vision digitizer is tied in; the software can then
control the RGB passes automatically.)  Since the Digi-Droid
does the same sort of control (um, maybe?) to a camera's
color wheel, could it be made to interface with the color
splitter's controls?  [This technical discombobulation on only
one cup of coffee; sorry. ;^)]

Disclaimer - I own Digiview and the color splitter - otherwise
unconnected.

Robin LaPasha   ruslan@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
--
Robin LaPasha               |"When there is no cat,
ruslan@ecsvax.uncecs.edu    |the mice dance the horo" - Bulgarian proverb

gsarff@meph.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (12/09/88)

In <285@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (joe smith) writes...
>In article <12595@srcsip.UUCP> carpent@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd P. Carpenter) writes:
>>3)  I got Digi-view for some fun.    I didn't want to spend $22.00 on their
>>  gender bender, so I just hooked up a normal cable gender bender (to convert
>>  from A500 to A2000).  Does anyone know it you can use this with
>>  output from a VCR (RCA output) or do you really need the camera (I tried, but
>>  all I get is "video signal not present").
>
>A straight gender changer will NOT work.  The Amiga 1000 provides +5V, NC,
>and RESET on pins 23, 24, and 25 respectively.  The Amiga 2000 provides
>these signals on pins 14, 15, and 16 respectively.  Therefore you are not
>supplying plus five volts to the DigiView device.
>
>If your VCR has a rock-solid freeze frame, you can do B&W digitizing (16
>shades of gray).  To do color, you have to have the camera and color
>filter.  That's because DigiView digitizes RGB as 3 monochrome exposures.
>A VCR cannot provide red-only, green-only, or blue-only signals.

You can however get the "color splitter" from sunrize technologies, about
$89 I think.  I have one, it has a 3 way toggle switch on it for Red, Green
and Blue.  Plug your vcr into the color splitter via an rca cable, plug
the color splitter into the digiview and use the red, green, blue menu
items of digiview and move the splitter's switch.  It does work.  Mine
was one of the first ones I think, no manual in the box, nothing but the
colorsplitter with a bunch of connectors on the back, so it was a guess
what they were for.

"Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad"
He who steals my core-dump, steals trash