[comp.sys.amiga] FFS on floppies

dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) (12/07/88)

Well, I finally got around to getting that ffsfloppy program from Unix to
my Amiga.  I followed the instructions and everything seems to work fine.

Now to test ffs, I copied the entire c directory from workbench to my ffs
disk.  When I did a directory, I noticed no improvement. (6 seconds on
ofs, 6 seconds on ffs).  So what's the deal?  Where's the marked increase
in speed I'm supposed to get from ffs?  I was thinking of converting over
to ffs, (Note: I have no hard drive, just 2 floppies) but I'm not sure its
worth the hassle, considering I can't boot off them.

I was wondering, is anyone else running ffs on floppies and having a
different experiences than me?  Anyone found a way to make the hassle
of having to boot off an ofs floppy minimal?  Is there anyway to partition
a floppy into a ofs bootable partition and a ffs partition?

And how am I supposed to convice PC users that the Amiga is superior when
directories are so much slower?  :-)

-- Dan Howell  <...!pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!dan>  <dan@ivucsb.UUCP>
-- The Heineken Uncertainty Principle:
--	You can never be sure how many beers you had last night.

johnf@light.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (12/08/88)

In article <433@ivucsb.UUCP> dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) writes:
>I was wondering, is anyone else running ffs on floppies and having a
>different experiences than me?  Anyone found a way to make the hassle
>of having to boot off an ofs floppy minimal?  Is there anyway to partition
>a floppy into a ofs bootable partition and a ffs partition?
	I run FFS on two 5.25" floppy drives, and OFS on two 3.5" floppy
drives.  I have not noticed much of a speed-up on the FFS drives either,
and use it mainly to squeeze a bit more space onto the 5.25" floppies (which
I use for c:, utilities, scratch space, and some system directories).
Addbuffers helps some.
	It IS possible to partition floppies.  For example, to
partition a 3.5" (80 track) drive into two 40-track logical drives, add
something like the following to the mountlist (this is off the top of
my head, but should give the idea):

DF0a:	Device=0,
	LowCyl = 0, HighCyl = 39,
#
DF0b:	Device=0,
	LowCyl = 40, HighCyl =79,

I had fun messing around with this one evening, but couldn't really
see much utility to it, except that you could back up two 5.25"
floppies onto one 3.5" floppy, or even back up one half of a 3.5"
floppy to the other half.
	It is also possible to mount FFS on one partition, and OFS on another.
I think it would be possible to make a small OFS partition on the first
few tracks of a boot disk, which mounts the rest of the disk as an FFS
partition, and transfers control there for the rest of the boot.  I
haven't tried this, but would be curious to hear the results if anyone
else does.

>-- Dan Howell  <...!pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!dan>  <dan@ivucsb.UUCP>
>-- The Heineken Uncertainty Principle:
>--	You can never be sure how many beers you had last night.

--John Flanagan
  johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (12/09/88)

In article <433@ivucsb.UUCP> dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) writes:

>I was wondering, is anyone else running ffs on floppies and having a
>different experiences than me?

I briefly tested the performance of FFS on floppies, and I,
like others, noticed approximately a doubling of speed- not
as dramatic as the 5-12 fold improvement on HDs.

-scott