[comp.sys.amiga] Bridgeboard problems again

Ata@radc-multics.arpa (John G. Ata) (12/08/88)

I have two questions/problems with my Bridgeboard that I thought I'd
throw out.

The first has to do with virtual devices.  It appears that if you assign
a virtual device to ram:, your response time is satisfactory.  However,
if you assign it to a file on floppy, it appears to be extermely slow
(excessive seeking), much slower than the 5 1/4 inch drives on the IBM
side.  Now I' m thinking of getting a hard drive on the Amiga side, but
if this is any indication of the speed I'm going to get I think I'll
hold off.  Because of the acceptable speed of ram: files, you wouldn't
think the bottleneck is in the transfer from the PC side to the the
Amiga side.

The second problem had to do with virtual drives and file transfers just
stopping and not working.  This always happens after I run a simple IBM
program which paints a picture on the screen and loads another program.
If I go directly to the target program, there is no problem.  It is as
if the PCDisk task on the Amiga side stops functioning.  This remains in
this state even after I reboot the IBM side (sometimes I can't).  Any
ideas???  If this is a Janus problem, hopefully it is fixed in the next
release.

                              Thanks in advance,
                              John G. Ata

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (12/09/88)

In article <5885@louie.udel.EDU> Ata@radc-multics.arpa (John G. Ata) writes:

>I have two questions/problems with my Bridgeboard that I thought I'd
>throw out.
>
>The first has to do with virtual devices.  It appears that if you assign
>side.  Now I' m thinking of getting a hard drive on the Amiga side, but
>if this is any indication of the speed I'm going to get I think I'll
>hold off.  Because of the acceptable speed of ram: files, you wouldn't

Virtual drives on the Amiga side hard disk on the Amiga seem fine
to me speedwise.  I use an FFS partition, of course, on a 2090.

Possibly you can see this in operation at a dealers and see if
its speed is within limits acceptable to you ...

>The second problem had to do with virtual drives and file transfers just
>stopping and not working.  This always happens after I run a simple IBM
>program which paints a picture on the screen and loads another program.
>If I go directly to the target program, there is no problem.  It is as
>if the PCDisk task on the Amiga side stops functioning.  This remains in
>this state even after I reboot the IBM side (sometimes I can't).  Any
>ideas???  If this is a Janus problem, hopefully it is fixed in the next
>release.

Generally, I've seen this behavior only after PC programs that do funny things
to the interrupts.  This may or may not be your problem, though.  But
if your keyboard stops communicating, as well as your PCDisk communication
ceasing, it sounds a lot like it.

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Possibly this is a new usage of the word 'compatible' with which
 I was previously unfamiliar"