[comp.sys.amiga] Can't get 1.3 on DISK in the UK..HELP !!!

rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (12/01/88)

This may be a touchy subject, but here goes...

Here in the UK, trying to get Kickstart 1.3 and Workbench 1.3 on DISK (the
new A500s here have Kickstart 1.3 on ROM) is like trying to get blood out
of a stone (you may have deduced that I have A1000).

Question 1 : Can the above 1.3 disks be freely distributed ?

IF Question 1 = TRUE THEN

   Question 2 : Are the European and US Kickstarts the same ?

   IF Question 2 = TRUE THEN

      Question 3 : Can some kind American or European soul please post them ?

   ELSE Question 3 : Can some kind European soul please post them ?

   ENDIF

ENDIF

If Question 3 = TRUE THEN

   I imagine some clever work will have to done. Someone will have to write
   a program to take an file split across two floppies and write the image
   of the file onto tracks 0-79 of a blank formatted disk (this would work
   for the Kickstart or the Workbench). The two (400K each) files would,
   of course, be Arc'd or Zoo'd and uuencoded when they are posted to the net.

ENDIF

All of the above is probably highly illegal, since the disks are the
copyright of Commodore, but most Commodore dealers in the UK don't even
know that 1.3 exists on disk !!!!

Richard K. Lloyd,       **** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V4.7 ****
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA or              *
Liverpool University,   *             RKL@000010500211.FTP.MAIL            *
Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : RKL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
Great Britain.          ****************************************************

"What's the world's fastest microcomputer ? A Mac II at 5000 pounds ?
A 25Mhz Compaq 386 at 5500 pounds ? No, it's an Archimedes at 800 pounds !"

lauren@cbmvax.UUCP (Lauren Brown CATS) (12/09/88)

In article <5798@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>This may be a touchy subject, but here goes...
>
>Here in the UK, trying to get Kickstart 1.3 and Workbench 1.3 on DISK (the
>new A500s here have Kickstart 1.3 on ROM) is like trying to get blood out
>of a stone (you may have deduced that I have A1000).
>
>Question 1 : Can the above 1.3 disks be freely distributed ?
>
>IF Question 1 = TRUE THEN

	The answer to Question 1 is NOT TRUE.

	By the way, where's your ELSE for Question 1?

>      Question 3 : Can some kind American or European soul please post them ?
>
>   ELSE Question 3 : Can some kind European soul please post them ?

	There are many kind souls in America and Europe, but I would hope
	none would be foolish enough to post Enhancer V1.3.

There is a country version of Enhancer 1.3 for the U.K. It is now or
should be soon available through your local dealer. Please be patient. If you
need more details, call Commodore U.K.

Lauren Brown      -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                                1200 Wilson Drive
                              West Chester, PA 19380
                  UUCP  ...{allegra,uunet,rutger,}!cbmvax!lauren
                                PHONE 215-431-9100

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (12/09/88)

In article <5798@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> rkl@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>This may be a touchy subject, but here goes...
>
>Here in the UK, trying to get Kickstart 1.3 and Workbench 1.3 on DISK (the
>new A500s here have Kickstart 1.3 on ROM) is like trying to get blood out
>of a stone (you may have deduced that I have A1000).
>
>know that 1.3 exists on disk !!!!
>
>Richard K. Lloyd,       **** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V4.7 ****
>Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA or              *
>Liverpool University,   *             RKL@000010500211.FTP.MAIL            *
>Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : RKL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
>Great Britain.          ****************************************************

John Bickerstaff, chairman of the national English computer club ICPUG,
recently wrote me that Commodore UK has decided to distribute both the
1.3 Enhancer package and the 1.3 ROMs.  The Enhancer should be available
at your dealer either now, or within a week or two.  He said it was to
be sold for 14.99 pounds.  The ROMs should be available at approximately
the same time, but no price for those had been announced.

So - let us be legal.  Your dealer will sell you 1.3, and at a reasonable
cost, too.  That's less than I paid for mine!

Betty

Betty Clay,                                        .......killer!pollux!bjc
SYSOP/CompuServe AmigaForum                                  CIS: 76702,337