[comp.sys.amiga] DPAINT II & Hard Disk

jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) (12/03/88)

Has anyone out there gotten DPAINT II to load files from a hard disk?  I
have an 'ASSIGN dh: dh1:pics' in my startup sequence but when I get the
file requester it is full of garbage characters.  If I type the name of a
file that exists in dh1:pics it will load okay, but it would be nice if I
could see what files are out there.  I have also tried to increase the
stack size, to no avail.  This problem exists on both 1.2 and 1.3 AmigaDOS.
Oh, I am using a Amiga 1000, Supra 4x4 20Mb disk and 1Mb expanded memory.
If anyone can help me solve this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim Garrison

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (12/04/88)

In article <4830006@hpiacla.HP.COM>, jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) writes:
> Has anyone out there gotten DPAINT II to load files from a hard disk?  I
> have an 'ASSIGN dh: dh1:pics' in my startup sequence but when I get the
> file requester it is full of garbage characters.

Yeah.  DPaint apparently has a fixed buffer for directory data.  If there are
too many files in the directory, DPaint will overwrite the file requester or
guru.  This is true for floppies as well, people just don't tend to have a ton
of files in one directory on floppy like they do on hard drives.
--
-- "We've been following your progress with considerable interest, not to say
-- contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV

jlockhar@ssibbs.UUCP (John Lockhart) (12/06/88)

In article <3050@sugar.uu.net>, karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
> In article <4830006@hpiacla.HP.COM>, jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) writes:
> > Has anyone out there gotten DPAINT II to load files from a hard disk?  I
> > have an 'ASSIGN dh: dh1:pics' in my startup sequence but when I get the

EA has quietly fixed this so that you have a dh0: instead of dh: now.
They also fixed the problem with fonts: overflowing the menu -- now you
can only use so many fonts, and it ignores the excess.

> too many files in the directory, DPaint will overwrite the file requester or

I don't know if they fixed this; I don't have all that many pics on my
hard drive -- at least, not yet :-)

--
                    --- John Lockhart
        ...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!ssibbs!jlockhar

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (12/06/88)

In article <4830006@hpiacla.HP.COM> jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) writes:

>Has anyone out there gotten DPAINT II to load files from a hard disk?  I
>have an 'ASSIGN dh: dh1:pics' in my startup sequence but when I get the
>file requester it is full of garbage characters.  If I type the name of a
>file that exists in dh1:pics it will load okay, but it would be nice if I
>could see what files are out there.  I have also tried to increase the
>stack size, to no avail.  This problem exists on both 1.2 and 1.3 AmigaDOS.
>Oh, I am using a Amiga 1000, Supra 4x4 20Mb disk and 1Mb expanded memory.
>If anyone can help me solve this I'd appreciate it.

I am using a Microbotics HardFrame (real nice - just released... commercial
over) with DP2 on drive DH8:. I can load things from that drie with no problems
at all. All I have to do is type in the dh8: in the filerequester myself. Once
it finds DH8: everything is just fine and dandy.

>Thanks,
>
>Jim Garrison

De nada
--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (12/07/88)

> EA has quietly fixed this so that you have a dh0: instead of dh: now.
> They also fixed the problem with fonts: overflowing the menu -- now you

> can only use so many fonts, and it ignores the excess.

On the fonts, all I can say is that it's about bloody time. On the 'DH0:'
thing, I am less than thrilled.  What kind of braindead folks run EA
anyway, that they can't look at programs that do it right?  Drive
information is all right there waiting for them, if they'd only look.

-larry

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (12/07/88)

In article <4830006@hpiacla.HP.COM> jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) writes:

>Has anyone out there gotten DPAINT II to load files from a hard disk?  I
>have an 'ASSIGN dh: dh1:pics' in my startup sequence but ...

If your DPAINT II file requesters show DH: and not DH0:, then you have
an older version of DPAINT, and might want to contact EA for an upgrade.
As a side benefit, you will be receiving it non-copyprotected, so you
can start DPAINT II from your hard disk.  Takes 2 seconds for me to
start the program...

-scott

jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) (12/09/88)

>Has anyone out there gotten DPAINT II to load files from a hard disk?  I
>have an 'ASSIGN dh: dh1:pics' in my startup sequence but when I get the
>file requester it is full of garbage characters.  If I type the name of a
>file that exists in dh1:pics it will load okay, but it would be nice if I
>could see what files are out there.  I have also tried to increase the
>stack size, to no avail.  This problem exists on both 1.2 and 1.3 AmigaDOS.
>Oh, I am using a Amiga 1000, Supra 4x4 20Mb disk and 1Mb expanded memory.
>If anyone can help me solve this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, everyone for the responses.  The problem turns out to be DPAINT
choking if there are ~40 or more files in the directory being searched.
I took my files and arranged them in subdirectories so that there are
less than 40 files in the main directory, and now everything works just
fine.  Again, thanks for the help.

Jim Garrison

[ This space for rent ]

In article <4830006@hpiacla.HP.COM| jimg@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Garrison) writes:
|Has anyone out there gotten DPAINT II to load files from a hard disk?  I
|have an 'ASSIGN dh: dh1:pics' in my startup sequence but when I get the
|file requester it is full of garbage characters.  If I type the name of a
|file that exists in dh1:pics it will load okay, but it would be nice if I
|could see what files are out there.

My version doesn't use dh: but dh0: and it loads fine files from the hard disk.
This is a later "update" of Dpaint II that you get ONLY if you ask for it.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]