[comp.sys.amiga] HTDIR and PIRACY and HICB

amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) (12/10/88)

In article (69929.ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab)) writes:

>  I don't think you deliberately forgot it, but I like to occasionally
> remind people of a game that got everything right.
>
>  It was one of the first games ever released for the Amiga.  It
> worked when expansion RAM became prolific.  It worked when 1.2 came out.
> It works on a 68020.	It doesn't take over the machine.  It multitasks.  You
> can pause it.  And it's not copy-protected.  When everyone else's games were
> crashing left and right due to failing to observe the Amiga programming
> guidelines, this game kept plugging along.
>
>  It was Mind Walker.
>
>  An excellent example of How To Do It Right.

You're on the right point, it isn't only an example of HTDIR but also
What It Could Be.  Besides the programming aspect I think its the * BEST *
game to now on written for the Amiga.

For me it was the first game with my first A1000 ( US model ) and played it
'till I got 'a real job' (Sigh), I HAD to get a pirate copy because at that
time they didn't sell it here in this country, they still don't but
after seeing it a quick-fast-air-freight-expresse-order was on his way
to the US to get the original with * A REAL COLOR * manual.

And since we're in the pirating bussines anyway here's my comment;

The first years when the A1000 was availble here there was almost no
commercial piracy, the Amiga was to expensive for 'normal people with enough
money but no spiritual invluance and everybody else with not enough money'
but when the A500 was released things got started.
Messages appear on BBS's etc etc and at this time there is TO MUCH going on.
They advertise in NATIONAL NEWSPAPERS ( you don't believe it, do you ? )
with messages as ' for sale C64 and Amiga software, latest stuff for $2to5
a disk'. You'll ask what are CBM and other HW/SW publishers doing about this ?
 ( CBM ATARI APPLE and others are in a sort of organisation to protect
   themselves and legal users to loss of money, the effect of piracy )

Well...    ...in five years they did only two actions, the latest was a
few months ago and CBM and Atari coordinate the whole action.
They got 10 commercial pirates, confiscated all their computer stuff and
other hardware wich was connected to the computer (VCR BigScreenTV) and
two weeks back they ALL get their HW back ]-|
They did employ a sort of legal action against them but none of them
have to go prison anyway, a few started again with new HW/SW and back
in bussines they are, making a lot of money selling ALL OVER EUROPE !

My point here is, why buy a game or productive package for double the price
while they're selling at half the price elsewhere in this universum
except Europe if you can get a pirated $2/5 copy and the manual
on a fine BlackAndWhiteXeroxCopieerSheet for another $10 ?
But when those guys who buy this crap get a sort of an income they start
buying originals, thats positive but for some of us maybe to late.

Since the software I want/need is most times hard to get or to expensive
here I first try a pirate copy, when it does what I want I send my
check to GoAmigo or another mail-order company overseas.

I just don't like to spend $150/> for something I don't like,
sure I can take a plane to fly over to get something else but when
that's possible for me I'm no longer typing my messages myself.

I know these facts are hard to accept but its reality, on the other
hand all the people who followed my advise to go Amiga BUY software,
and so do people who they advised and so on and sooo ooooonnnnn.
If somebody can't get a piece of software here we make a bulk order
for a few people, so we keep shipping costs low and sometimes get a
more as reasonable discount :-)

What about HARDWARE piracy ?
There's a duplicate of Digiview, only the color is different,
black but ofcourse you'll knew it, they also have Futuresound
clones if you like, where ? Italy in every shop.

Overall opinion - Its a SICK bussines and those 'spreaders - pirates'
had to be killed by the first flash of lightning burning in their
non-grounded with water all over the place houses.

 Still frustrated,

			      Michel ( Mike ) Langereis.

UUCP : ...!mcvax!telmail!neabbs!amichel
2Wire:+31 (0)20 -742717 -742818 or -6684919
Paper:+31 (0)20 -742506
Late :+31 (0)2990 -37757
These typo's aren't mine, its some-ones PersonalCripple/DOS
I don't feel the need for a computer, I have an Amiga.