[comp.sys.amiga] Dark Castle copy protection

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (12/09/88)

Given all this discussion about copy protection, I thought I would
share my experiences trying to install Dark Castle on a hard disk
drive.

The documentation says that to install DC on a hard disk, simply make
a directory, copy the contents of both disks to that directory,
assign DC1: and DC2: to point to the directory, and have the original
disk A in df0: when starting the game.  The problem is that once the
game finds disk A in the floppy drive, it wants to load itself from
the floppy instead of the hard disk, and won't let you remove the
floppy.

Sigh.

Has anyone gotten Dark Castle to work on a hard disk, or better yet
found a way to defeat its copy protection?  Failing that, would
anyoune like to purchase a copy of Dark Castle?

The people arguing for copy protection can simply go to hell.  I paid
$25 for this program and I have the right to use it in any manner I
please.

			--M

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb

"I'm very sorry, Master, but that WAS the backup system" -- Slave

mph@behemoth.UUCP (Mark Huth) (12/10/88)

In article <EXbhgty00Vsf8Lf5tH@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>The people arguing for copy protection can simply go to hell.  I paid
>$25 for this program and I have the right to use it in any manner I
>please.

Unforunately, you probably did not pay $25 for this program and you
probably do not have the right to use it anyway that you please.

You probably bought a license to use the program in the the manner
specified in the license.  With the exceptions of certain "fair use"
extension to those rights, you don't have the right to use the program
in any other manner.

I hate copy protection, but have been unable to stick to my resolve
not to buy copy protected software.  I put off buying Dr. T's midi
stuff for quite a while because it is copy protected, but finally
bought a bunch of it the other day.

What we need is a group like AA to help us in those moments of
weakness when we cannot resist the temptation of software and buy that
which we know is harmful to ourselves and the industry in general.
You know, like someone to call before I buy my next copy protected bit
of software.

"Hello, Joe?  Ya' gotta' help me.  I'm at Confuser Discontents and
just saw this really wonderful program."

"Well, Mark, how can I help."

"This program has wonderful graphics in hyper-realtime, and the sounds
are beyond belief.  Just like being in the shuttle at throttle up."

"So what's the problem?"

"It's (gasp) copy protected.  (Sob)  I know it's no good for me, but
the pull is really strong.  I don't know if I can resist."

"Hang on there, brother, we got an emergency team on the way.
Meanwhile, remember last time you went on a CP binge?  The long hours
dumping files looking for the absolute file names so you could move it
to the hard disk?  The curses you wrote on the warantee registration
card that got the Postmaster General on your case for using the mails
to promote obscenity?  How about all that time you spent trying to
find the key disk validation routine to defeat it?  And what about
your keyboard?  Last time it almost left you because you became so
abusive.  It is really worth it for one fix of unCRACKable software?"

Well, what do you all say.  Can we really boycott the copy protectors?
Can we put this evil menance out of our lives?  Or will we turn our
beloved country into a police state?  If anyone can do it, we on the
net can.

Mark Huth

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (12/10/88)

mph@behemoth.UUCP (Mark Huth) writes:

> >The people arguing for copy protection can simply go to hell.  I paid
> >$25 for this program and I have the right to use it in any manner I
> >please.
>
> Unforunately, you probably did not pay $25 for this program and you
> probably do not have the right to use it anyway that you please.
>
> You probably bought a license to use the program in the the manner
> specified in the license.  With the exceptions of certain "fair use"
> extension to those rights, you don't have the right to use the program
> in any other manner.

If the software has a license, it cannot be found anywhere on the
disks, packaging or documentation.  Also missing is the phone number
of Three-Sixty Software.

I noticed that when copying the software to the HD, Copy stumbled on
a file whose name was all spaces...sound familiar?

Time for a session with NewZap.

		    --M

--

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (12/10/88)

In article <1613@behemoth.UUCP> mph@behemoth.UUCP (Mark Huth) writes:
>You probably bought a license to use the program in the the manner
>specified in the license.  With the exceptions of certain "fair use"
>extension to those rights, you don't have the right to use the program
>in any other manner.

I'm curious. Has the "shrink wrap" license stood up in court? If, for
example, someone can't read and breaks the wrap on some software, is he
bound to that license even though he hasn't signed anything?

Here in KY, a contract isn't a contract until you have two John
Hancocks, but then again a contract isn't a license either.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean